"What DON'T you like about your 5th Gen RAM"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So far only 2 things, coming from a 17' tacoma, that thing had tons of storage around the cab, just lots of spots to hide tools. The ram has larger spaces but fewer of them. And I wish it had a flat rear floor like the F-150s.

So enlighten those of us who’s never had one on where all could you store stuff in the cab of your Tacoma that you couldn’t in the cab of your Ram?

In my 18, I’ve got the upper and lower glove box, big door pockets on all four doors, good-size lower center console with storage above it under the armrest, little pockets on each side of the center console, covered cubby hole with power port on top by the cup holders where they used to stick that goofy console shifter, little cubby hole under the dash in front of that and up on the top of the dash, deep floor bins under the rear passenger’s feet, pockets on the back of the front seats and plenty of space under and behind the rear seat. Course, under my seat is taken up by a big ole dual subwoofer enclosure but there’s still a good bit of space under the seat back.

But did your truck not come with the foldout rear floor to make everything nice and flat back there? The floor itself might not be flat but that foldout floor sure makes it pretty nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PCord

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So far only 2 things, coming from a 17' tacoma, that thing had tons of storage around the cab, just lots of spots to hide tools. The ram has larger spaces but fewer of them. And I wish it had a flat rear floor like the F-150s.

If you have a 5th gen, then you have a flat floor. There also are the ram bins that hold lots of items. Don't think the tacoma has those.

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
But did your truck not come with the foldout rear floor to make everything nice and flat back there?

NOOOOO! And I want it!! Had it on my '15 and it's my biggest pet peeve (as a RAM owner you're allowed to have more than one pet peeve - my dealer told me so) about my '20.

How can I get one?!!!

Black64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So enlighten those of us who’s never had one on where all could you store stuff in the cab of your Tacoma that you couldn’t in the cab of your Ram?

In my 18, I’ve got the upper and lower glove box, big door pockets on all four doors, good-size lower center console with storage above it under the armrest, little pockets on each side of the center console, covered cubby hole with power port on top by the cup holders where they used to stick that goofy console shifter, little cubby hole under the dash in front of that and up on the top of the dash, deep floor bins under the rear passenger’s feet, pockets on the back of the front seats and plenty of space under and behind the rear seat. Course, under my seat is taken up by a big ole dual subwoofer enclosure but there’s still a good bit of space under the seat back.

But did your truck not come with the foldout rear floor to make everything nice and flat back there? The floor itself might not be flat but that foldout floor sure makes it pretty nice.

The back seats in the tacoma folded down and there was 2 large storage areas behind there, I had socket sets, screwdrivers and lots of wrenches. No foldout floor, I have the tradesman. My truck only has the back seats fold up, it fits more tools, but doesn't hide more if you catch my drift.

Black64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If you have a 5th gen, then you have a flat floor. There also are the ram bins that hold lots of items. Don't think the tacoma has those.

5th gen 2500, not a flat floor I have 2 large walls where the seat goes down that don't move. I wish it had the ram bins.

PCord

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry I missed the 2500 part. The 2500 is more like a 4th gen with some upgrades. I believe the mega cab has a flat floor. It would be nice if they made it like the 5th gen 1500.

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
Already have a thread dedicated to it but whatever. Feel my pain!

20210511_120004.jpg

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
Maybe it’s because mine doesn’t have that goofy console shifter is why I don’t have that problem…

Ill take the console over having to handle a shaft on a daily basis

Edit ahh i looked at your info. Guess you have a goofy rotary. Would have been funnier if you didnt

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ill take the console over having to handle a shaft on a daily basis

Edit ahh i looked at your info. Guess you have a goofy rotary. Would have been funnier if you didnt

Console shifters for automatics belong in cars, not trucks, but that’s just me; and well, quite a few others besides me…..lol.

And yes, I do have that “goofy” rotary dial. I love it. Makes for a really clean look on the dash. Especially with the custom B&H gear shifter knob I put on.

I kinda like not having the stick on the column but hey, you have knobs for your radio, transfer case- if equipped, heater and A/C controls, headlight switch so why not add to that with the knob?

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
Console shifters for automatics belong in cars, not trucks, but that’s just me; and well, quite a few others besides me…..lol.

And yes, I do have that “goofy” rotary dial. I love it. Makes for a really clean look on the dash. Especially with the custom B&H gear shifter knob I put on.

I kinda like not having the stick on the column but hey, you have knobs for your radio, transfer case- if equipped, heater and A/C controls, headlight switch so why not add to that with the knob?

Yea it looks sleek but i wouldnt put that much trust in a 6k lb energy transfer device that works like a climate control knob.

Idc where the shifter is located just so long as i dont have a micro controller making the decision to keep it in drive when i turned it to park and run the truck through the back wall of the garage when i hop out because the software bugged out or the signal voltage dropped out somewhere

Mechanical is king. But thats just me... and probably that guy who crashed is rotary shift ram into his garage wall lol

Last edited:

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Yea it looks sleek but i wouldnt put that much trust in a 6k lb energy transfer device that works like a climate control knob.

Idc where the shifter is located just so long as i dont have a micro controller making the decision to keep it in drive when i turned it to park and run the truck through the back wall of the garage when i hop out because the software bugged out or the signal voltage dropped out somewhere

Mechanical is king. But thats just me... and probably that guy who crashed is rotary shift ram into his garage wall lol
I'm with you on this one. If I had my way and a choice I'd have a 3 foot tall Pistol Grip shifter with a 6 speed manual but I have to stick with the choices they give me. We use to look in cars and trucks and if we seen a 4 speed shifter that was a manly car, then the automatic in the floor was still manly but they probably couldn't shift a manual, then you seen the shifter on the column, that's what the older crowd drove, nothing sporty about those to me. Now we have rotary knobs and paddle shifters, may be exciting to some but not for me, feels like your driving one of those video game cars. I bought my truck for me, I don't have kids at home anymore so it's just my wife and I that ride in it and it fits use perfect. She even wishes her 2014 Durango had a t handle shifter like my truck instead of the rotary knob. The way they are trying to make trucks so car like anymore what's wrong with a console and a "goofy" shifter in a truck? It was one of the selling points for me on my truck.Just my 2 cents but I'm still not going to call what you like "goofy"! Mopower to ya!

Octane

Reaction score
I'm with you on this one. If I had my way and a choice I'd have a 3 foot tall Pistol Grip shifter with a 6 speed manual but I have to stick with the choices they give me. We use to look in cars and trucks and if we seen a 4 speed shifter that was a manly car, then the automatic in the floor was still manly but they probably couldn't shift a manual, then you seen the shifter on the column, that's what the older crowd drove, nothing sporty about those to me. Now we have rotary knobs and paddle shifters, may be exciting to some but not for me, feels like your driving one of those video game cars. I bought my truck for me, I don't have kids at home anymore so it's just my wife and I that ride in it and it fits use perfect. She even wishes her 2014 Durango had a t handle shifter like my truck instead of the rotary knob. The way they are trying to make trucks so car like anymore what's wrong with a console and a "goofy" shifter in a truck? It was one of the selling points for me on my truck.Just my 2 cents but I'm still not going to call what you like "goofy"! Mopower to ya!
People in my neighborhood used to customize old 1950s through 1960s pickup trucks with bucket seats, building custom consoles with b&m automatic floor shifters. They were the coolest trucks on the road. I had a co-worker with a 1963 Chevrolet done like this. He eventually sold the truck and the new owner took the bed with that nice wood floor off. And put a cargo box like a box truck has, and used it to make deliveries. My coworker was very disappointed in what happened with that truck.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I prefer the console shifter. When towing I can change the gears with just a push of the wrist. A lot handier than feeling/looking for a stinking shift button.

What are you towing that is that heavy that requires you to manually shift your transmission when the tow haul mode does a pretty good job of keeping you in the right gear? The only time I even use my buttons on the steering wheel is just to put it in manual mode so that it keeps the MDS from turning on or if I am descending a steep grade, I use the buttons to down shift so that I’m not leaning so much on my brakes to keep me at a certain speed.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
What are you towing that is that heavy that requires you to manually shift your transmission when the tow haul mode does a pretty good job of keeping you in the right gear? The only time I even use my buttons on the steering wheel is just to put it in manual mode so that it keeps the MDS from turning on or if I am descending a steep grade, I use the buttons to down shift so that I’m not leaning so much on my brakes to keep me at a certain speed.

Up and down the Colorado Rockies with a 8800# tt and another 1500 in the bed of the truck. If you've ever done this type of towing you cant depend on tow/haul for these conditions.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Up and down the Colorado Rockies with a 8800# tt and another 1500 in the bed of the truck. If you've ever done this type of towing you cant depend on tow/haul for these conditions.

OK, so for those conditions I understand where you’re coming from because I lived in Colorado for 20+ years so I know what you’re talking about but still, you’re really only just talking about personal preference on how you manually upshift and downshift your transmission.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
OK, so for those conditions I understand where you’re coming from because I lived in Colorado for 20+ years so I know what you’re talking about but still, you’re really only just talking about personal preference on how you manually upshift and downshift your transmission.

Sure it is personal preference. I'm not trying to influence anyone but I can say that having had all three options- column shifter, dial shifter, and console shifter I preferred my console shifter.

Octane

Reaction score
Amen to that!
Way back in the day we would be putting an old car together in a custom kind of way. And if we didn't have all the proper parts, we even had a 64 El Camino with a 350 Pontiac motor and radiator and automatic trans in it. And we used the t-handle that you buy to tighten down the valve covers with,on the floor shifter we installed Just to have a way to shift it.lol these days people fret over whether their shifter is on the column the floor or the dash. I had a buddy that had a 71 gremlin and the shifter tore up on it and he cut a steel leg off of a kitchen chair and put a t-handle shifter on one end and used it as a shifter lever in his car. Buddy that is what you call survival of the fittest right there. Oddly enough I miss those days.