"What DON'T you like about your 5th Gen RAM"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
the crappy duratracs that come with my new powerwagon.every tire has a ridiculous amount of weights on them.the pass rear is over a foot long.i bought sight unseen and had it delivered so....this is my second truck with duratracs and the first truck i tried to get the dealer to swap them,no luck.man,i hate those tires.when i take it in for the undercoating i'm going to try and get them to change them.not holding my breath.my slt has 35 ridge grapplers and they have hardly any balance weights on them.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the crappy duratracs that come with my new powerwagon.every tire has a ridiculous amount of weights on them.the pass rear is over a foot long.i bought sight unseen and had it delivered so....this is my second truck with duratracs and the first truck i tried to get the dealer to swap them,no luck.man,i hate those tires.when i take it in for the undercoating i'm going to try and get them to change them.not holding my breath.my slt has 35 ridge grapplers and they have hardly any balance weights on them.

Does any manufacture ever put on decent tires at the factory? If those really are that much junk then get you some tires of your choice for it and sell the original ones while they’re still practically brand new. That was what I did. I pulled my factory GoodYear SRA’s off with only 1500 miles on them and within 2 days of listing them on Facebook’s Marketplace, a guy was giving me $400 for all four. Brand new on tirerack.com they were almost $150 a tire so I think I got a pretty good turnaround out of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yea it looks sleek but i wouldnt put that much trust in a 6k lb energy transfer device that works like a climate control knob.

How many 2021 vehicles with automatic transmissions do you suppose have fully mechanical control of the transmission via a user controllable device?

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I prefer the console shifter. When towing I can change the gears with just a push of the wrist. A lot handier than feeling/looking for a stinking shift button.

Ummm.... what?

I don't even have to remove my hand from the steering wheel to change the gear limit.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try changing the gear when going down a steep mountain pass and have to make a turn.

I’ve changed gears while going through curves while going down a grade. Takes an awful sharp turn to not be able to reach the buttons.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try changing the gear when going down a steep mountain pass and have to make a turn.

I’ve changed gears while going through curves while going down a grade. Takes an awful sharp turn to not be able to reach the buttons.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Sure it is personal preference. I'm not trying to influence anyone but I can say that having had all three options- column shifter, dial shifter, and console shifter I preferred my console shifter.
I agree with you there. My truck has the console shifter. Forgetting about function it just looks sportier "to me". My wife's 2014 Durango has the rotary dial "shifter" and neither one of us liked it from day one and 6 years later we still don't like it. We don't dwell on it but if it was sitting beside a Durango with a console T handle shifter when we bought it we both would have picked the T handle shifter. Thank God we can make our own choice, just wish they gave us more choices for shifters. One size does not fit ALL!

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with you there. My truck has the console shifter. Forgetting about function it just looks sportier "to me". My wife's 2014 Durango has the rotary dial "shifter" and neither one of us liked it from day one and 6 years later we still don't like it. We don't dwell on it but if it was sitting beside a Durango with a console T handle shifter when we bought it we both would have picked the T handle shifter. Thank God we can make our own choice, just wish they gave us more choices for shifters. One size does not fit ALL!

That just won’t ever happen.

I dunno, it just seems to me the majority reason why the people who don’t like the dial are the ones who just simply can’t adjust themselves to use it without reaching for anything else. They just don’t like it so it’s almost like they subconsciously make themselves never use it right just because they don’t like it, then turn around and use the reason for grabbing other knobs as an explanation of why they don’t like it.

Anybody can use the T handle, just like anybody can use the stick on the column but even though the knob is conveniently placed right in front of your hand while your arm rests on the armrest, they still manage to grab the fan knob or the radio knob….lol.

I just don’t like the console shifter because it looks ugly and has no place in a truck. My truck’s already too much like a car as it is with it’s P-rated tires, smooth ride, auto-4x4, plush interior and short bed; I don’t need a “car” shifter to add to it….[emoji23]

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
That just won’t ever happen.

I dunno, it just seems to me the majority reason why the people who don’t like the dial are the ones who just simply can’t adjust themselves to use it without reaching for anything else. They just don’t like it so it’s almost like they subconsciously make themselves never use it right just because they don’t like it, then turn around and use the reason for grabbing other knobs as an explanation of why they don’t like it.

Anybody can use the T handle, just like anybody can use the stick on the column but even though the knob is conveniently placed right in front of your hand while your arm rests on the armrest, they still manage to grab the fan knob or the radio knob….lol.

I just don’t like the console shifter because it looks ugly and has no place in a truck. My truck’s already too much like a car as it is with it’s P-rated tires, smooth ride, auto-4x4, plush interior and short bed; I don’t need a “car” shifter to add to it….[emoji23]

I never said I hit it accidentally and I think the rotary dial is just a plain knob that is... plain but I don't tell others it's the wrong choice for them. I can use the knob, wow how hard is it to turn a knob.I just have fun driving and a knob you turn to change gears is just not for me. But I'm thankful you're not the one that gets to make all of our choices because if it's something you don't have then it's ugly or doesn't make sense. Like what you like and allow the rest of us to like what we like.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I never said I hit it accidentally and I think the rotary dial is just a plain knob that is... plain but I don't tell others it's the wrong choice for them. I can use the knob, wow how hard is it to turn a knob.I just have fun driving and a knob you turn to change gears is just not for me. But I'm thankful you're not the one that gets to make all of our choices because if it's something you don't have then it's ugly or doesn't make sense. Like what you like and allow the rest of us to like what we like.

Yer pretty heavy on the assumptions today, ain’tcha?

And I never said you did reach for other knobs, I just said the majority of people who don’t like it, from what I’ve read, do.

And I didn’t tell people it’s the wrong choice for them, where did you get that from? I just expressed how I felt, just as you, and everyone else has.

And I don’t make your choices, and I don’t have anything to do with what you like but damn, you’re pretty much telling me to stop doing what I’m doing yet you’re doing it to me cuz it sure sounds like you really dislike that I don’t like that goofy console shifter…lol.

Last edited:

GeometryFletch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
OK, so for those conditions I understand where you’re coming from because I lived in Colorado for 20+ years so I know what you’re talking about but still, you’re really only just talking about personal preference on how you manually upshift and downshift your transmission.

Of course it's a personal preference, that's the question that started this thread.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Of course it's a personal preference, that's the question that started this thread.

Even the person that post of mine was actually intended for was just an opinion disguised as a fact, wasn’t a “personal preference” when I said you can shift with just the buttons in that scenario even tho the intended recipient said you can’t.

But even though the thread started and was probably intended like that, that’s not how it’s been treated. Whining because your truck didn’t come with a CD player just because you didn’t get one with a CD player doesn’t really count in my book but hey, what I think don’t matter.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Yer pretty heavy on the assumptions today, ain’tcha?

And I never said you did reach for other knobs, I just said the majority of people who don’t like it, from what I’ve read, do.

And I didn’t tell people it’s the wrong choice for them, where did you get that from? I just expressed how I felt, just as you, and everyone else has.

And I don’t make your choices, and I don’t have anything to do with what you like but damn, you’re pretty much telling me to stop doing what I’m doing yet you’re doing it to me cuz it sure sounds like you really dislike that I don’t like that goofy console shifter…lol.

Ok, you're right. Maybe that will make you happy.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, you're right. Maybe that will make you happy.

I know I’m right, I don’t need you to give in….lol. I never said any of that **** you said, you assumed it. I don’t care what you like and I don’t care that you don’t like what I like.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I know I’m right, I don’t need you to give in….lol. I never said any of that **** you said, you assumed it. I don’t care what you like and I don’t care that you don’t like what I like.

Sorry you feel that way.