"What DON'T you like about your 5th Gen RAM"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I don't understand why the front parking sensors go off when I'm in reverse to let me know something is in front of me.

Because "front" does not mean only mean straight ahead. It means anything that the front of the truck may hit as you back up.

In case you've never noticed, as you back up and turn, the front end traverses a different path than the rear. Therefore the "front parking sensors" account for where the front end could be headed for.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, keep on trolling all night long.
I’m not trolling. I’m just taking advantage of the pure existence of this thread. It’s like this discussion really shoulda came with a disclaimer stating that any response might lead to a smile or slight chuckle so be warned. lol.

It was a simple setting to allow up to 10 minutes after shut down to close the windows- so no, I’m not going to close the windows before shutting off the engine.

Lol.
But yeah, be glad you found the setting. See, Ram trucks thought about you....lol.

I still think I’d just rather roll em up as I’m making my turn into my driveway..... no sense in sitting there waiting for the windows to roll up when ya coulda had em rolled up already....[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Because "front" does not mean only mean straight ahead. It means anything that the front of the truck may hit as you back up.

In case you've never noticed, as you back up and turn, the front end traverses a different path than the rear. Therefore the "front parking sensors" account for where the front end could be headed for.
They don't pick up anything beside the truck as far as I can tell. They'll beep once i swing over enough backing out that the car that was beside me was partially in front, but I don't think it would warn me I'm about to sideswipe someone.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Wait a minute... the auto park brake is actually what the name says, an automatic parking brake when you park your truck, it sets the parking brake for you, electronically.

Now, your truck should also have a feature that when you’re backing up and are about to hit something.... e.g., that bush.... supposedly you can turn that off too. Look into that. That’s really the only other thing, unless you got something wrong with your truck.

But since you got the auto brake confused with the auto park, what exactly came across your screen at the time you were trying to do this maneuver when you couldn’t go no where, because it wasn’t the auto park feature and it wasn’t the auto parking brake.

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
2850 miles and I still love my truck.

TPMS is kind of annoying still, but I’m running factory pressure right now with all the hauling I’ve been doing.

Passenger grab handle has a bolt cover that keeps popping off and dangling for no reason. Other than that no issues with interior at all. I’ve owned a few new vehicles and never had one that didn’t have a dash squeak or tattle by 2000 miles, this one is stone cold silent.

The tube steps my dealer put on are annoyingly ugly but functional.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2850 miles and I still love my truck.

TPMS is kind of annoying still, but I’m running factory pressure right now with all the hauling I’ve been doing.
What’s with your TPMS?

Passenger grab handle has a bolt cover that keeps popping off and dangling for no reason. Other than that no issues with interior at all. I’ve owned a few new vehicles and never had one that didn’t have a dash squeak or tattle by 2000 miles, this one is stone cold silent.
Then fix it. lol.

The tube steps my dealer put on are annoyingly ugly but functional.
I kinda felt the same way about the painted to match Mopar steps the factory put on my truck but I ended up pulling them off and replacing them with some nice stainless aftermarket ones that was more to my liking and was even able to sell the stockers to someone for a fairly nice profit.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New Model
Engine
Hemi
Wait a minute... the auto park brake is actually what the name says, an automatic parking brake when you park your truck, it sets the parking brake for you, electronically.

Now, your truck should also have a feature that when you’re backing up and are about to hit something.... e.g., that bush.... supposedly you can turn that off too. Look into that. That’s really the only other thing, unless you got something wrong with your truck.

But since you got the auto brake confused with the auto park, what exactly came across your screen at the time you were trying to do this maneuver when you couldn’t go no where, because it wasn’t the auto park feature and it wasn’t the auto parking brake.

I did not confuse auto park and auto park brake. Reread my posts. The screen said “auto park place in park and then in drive”. That is an auto park feature. It also put the brake back on then I was in drive. You were not there so PLEASE stop saying what happened. You don’t know.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did not confuse auto park and auto park brake. Reread my posts. The screen said “auto park place in park and then in drive”. That is an auto park feature. It also put the brake back on then I was in drive. You were not there so PLEASE stop saying what happened. You don’t know.

Well then somebody else with one of these 5th-gens is going to have to chime in then because I don’t have that feature that applies my brakes when I’m backing up and my truck thinks I’m gonna back into something, and I don’t have that feature that automatically sets my parking brake when I park so I don’t know what’s going on with your truck.

And yes, I know I wasn’t there and I’m not trying to act like I know what happened. All I’m trying to do is get you to explain to all of us what exactly happened so we can help you out.

And you said right here below several posts ago:

The screen said auto park. I remember because I looked it up in the settings and disabled it. It was not auto brake. Nothing in front of me.

I’m not sure if you meant to say auto-park, but when you DID say auto-park, that only occurs whenever you try to drive forward or backwards with your driver door open and you do not have your seatbelt on or you’re not applying constant brake to your pedal so I have no idea what happened. I don’t know what flashed up on your screen.

I do know that from the one picture you did provide, all that does is just turn off your auto parking brake feature so that whenever you park, your parking brake is not automatically being set.

When did you turn that automatic parking brake feature off, before or after you were having this problem? If it was already off then I’m just as baffled as you are but I would think it would be pretty safe to say that if you hadn’t turned that off yet, that it’s highly possible that when you were trying to move your truck, you probably weren’t giving your truck enough time to turn the parking brake off which could mean why it said to put it back in park, and then back in the drive. I’m not saying that’s your solution or what you problem was, I’m just saying that could’ve been what your problem was all along.

And as far as your automatic braking feature when you back up, was that already turned off or left on before or after this problem happened because again, if that feature was still enabled, that would explain why even though you could’ve easily backed over that little bush, that would be why your truck applied the brakes because it simply did what it was supposed to do.

Look man, all I’m trying to do is help.

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What’s with your TPMS?

Then fix it. lol.

I kinda felt the same way about the painted to match Mopar steps the factory put on my truck but I ended up pulling them off and replacing them with some nice stainless aftermarket ones that was more to my liking and was even able to sell the stockers to someone for a fairly nice profit.

I like to drop my tire pressures to around 40 when empty, really calms the bounce. TPMS comes on at that pressure which is kind of annoying.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like to drop my tire pressures to around 40 when empty, really calms the bounce. TPMS comes on at that pressure which is kind of annoying.

Well I hate to break it to ya but that’s just kind of the nature of the beast of owning a three-quarter ton; it’s a truck that’s more or less made to work and because of that, it has high pressure tires on it for that reason. The tire pressure monitoring system is going to be set accordingly. But even though you find it annoying trying to drive your three-quarter ton like a halfton, you could probably jump on the alpha obd wagon and use that to change your thresholds so that the TPMS light ain’t staring you down all the time.

norourke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was going to comment on the Uconnect stereo as well. When using XM radio my phone does not play through the speakers if I'm using google maps to navigate. It doesn't play through the phone either so something definitely whacked with their stereo Bluetooth.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was going to comment on the Uconnect stereo as well. When using XM radio my phone does not play through the speakers if I'm using google maps to navigate. It doesn't play through the phone either so something definitely whacked with their stereo Bluetooth.

That’s because you gotta have your Uconnect input on Bluetooth in order to hear it. The satellite radio is a different input. But you lost me when you said your voice guidance doesn’t play through your phone either so what are you talking about?

But one thing you might try when you’re listening to XM is on your Google Maps settings, turn on the “play as Bluetooth phone call” setting. Hopefully that way your Uconnect will think you have a call coming in and automatically switch over, and then back to XM. Only bad thing is, when you’re actually on Bluetooth and listening to music from your phone, it’ll do the same thing rather than just momentarily lower the volume of your music so you can hear the voice guidance, then turn your music back up.

My advice would be to just not use the Bluetooth call thing and leave it as it is, turn the volume up on your phone and turn your radio volume down a little bit so you can play and hear your voice guidance stuff over your phone because you really are expecting something your phone can’t do. In order to do what your wanting to do and do it simple, your Uconnect needs to be on Bluetooth, not anything else. That’s the only way it will work proficiently. Otherwise it’s turning that other setting on which is kind of annoying because like I said, it makes your turn by turn voice into a phone call which is what it’s sposed to do when your radio is on a different source from Bluetooth. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
They don't pick up anything beside the truck as far as I can tell.

Mine does for sure. If I back straight into my garage, with 6" clearance to the side of the door opening, I get the warning.

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

This is not the Auto Park feature. This is the setting that determines if the Parking Brake is set when you put it in Park.

The Auto Park feature is a safety feature (that can't be disabled through owner programming, as far as I know) that puts the vehicle in Park if you attempt to move the vehicle with the door open.

From Page 214 in the 2020 Ram 1500 Owners Manual:

If the vehicle is not in PARK and the driver exits the vehicle* with the engine running, the vehicle may AutoPark.

AutoPark will engage when all of these conditions are met:
 Vehicle is equipped with a rotary shifter and an 8-speed transmission
 Vehicle is not in PARK
 Vehicle speed is 1.2 mph (1.9 km/h) or less  Driver’s seat belt is unbuckled
 Driver’s door is ajar
 Brake pedal is not depressed

The MESSAGE “AutoPark Engaged Shift to P then Shift to Gear” will display in the instrument cluster.​

*They don't KNOW when you've exited the vehicle, they presume that if you open the door, you have "exited the vehicle".

See https://msmownerassets.z13.web.core...0/1500_DT/P114397_20_DT_OM_EN_USC_DIGITAL.pdf

clayinfla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi - no etorque
Covered in a few places, but I really don’t like the fact that my tow mirrors do not power fold, even though I paid for power folding mirrors. It does not seem like it should be that hard, especially sine they charge you for them!

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Covered in a few places, but I really don’t like the fact that my tow mirrors do not power fold, even though I paid for power folding mirrors. It does not seem like it should be that hard, especially sine they charge you for them!

How do you know you paid for power folding tow mirrors? And I’m assuming your driving a 3/4-ton?

Timeless

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Some repetition here I am sure but would love the following to be changed/added in future models:

33 Gallon Fuel tank as standard...or at least don't require other packages to get it
Walk away auto door lock feature
Locking fuel door ideally that auto locks as well
Ram Boxes that do not warp
Bed Extender standard with the add on package
360 Camera available with tow mirrows
360 Camera/Ventilated seats available on Rebel
Sport mode for the transmission...stock settings even on 3.92 rear no where near as sporty as F150 10 speed in sport mode
Larger rear view mirror...current one is pretty small for a truck
Better AC...I know beat to death but true compared to rivals
6.4 Hemi option that has the 485 HP
Exhaust Modes

Just to add...love the truck but things can always be improved!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iralee