What is the correct 8HP70 fluid capacity when dropping pan?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

68Malibu383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I apologize but I've found so many conflicting posts. Getting ready to change fluid in my 2019 8 speed by dropping the pan and refilling. I've watched videos and read posts, but I've found fluid capacity ranges from 5.5 qts to 8 qts for the same transmission in the RAM. Can several confirm the correct amount (before I take out a loan to buy the fluid lol)?

Also, any deals on the real ZF Lifeguard fluid or Mopar fluid? I've found Lifeguard has a few different part numbers, and the BMW, etc fluid is Only (only) $15 per qt, but Chrysler ZF fluid is about $22. Frustrating that its so expensive (yes, I've read posts about the other brands but I don't want to take a chance until more data is available).

Thanks!

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Call the parts dept of a couple small-town family run dealers in your area (if there are any). Have your Mopar fluid part numbers handy. Ask the parts guy if they'll sell the fluid out of their bulk barrel? (and the $$). We have a couple small town Chrysler dealers around here and they do that, and I've done it several times over the years. It's the cheapest way and you know you're getting the right product. The local small family run GM outfit does that too. I also get the right Dexcool from them. Cheaper than anyone else, no shipping or waiting. And they're great guys to deal with.

Take down a couple clean milk jugs. Usually you walk around the corner where they keep all the fluids and they'll fill em up and hand the jugs back to you. You get a chance to chat with the parts guy and start building some rapport with them. The Chrysler dealer here won't do individual quarts. They do by the gallon or half gallon b/c they don't really have a way of metering it as it comes out ..unless they have a pour-jug, but that's more work for them. Most barrels just have a hand crank pump. Maybe other parts dept's will do it by the qt, ask the question ahead of time. Dress down (not like you're heading into business meeting). :waytogo:

Sorry, I can't help you out on the exact amt of new fluid..

Last edited:
OP
OP

68Malibu383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Excellent idea, Jeepwalker. Thanks a lot!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Excellent idea, Jeepwalker. Thanks a lot!
You can try that,but there's very few dealers who carry the ZF fluid in bulk,as they don't change the fluid in the 8 speed very often at a dealer.Have at the very least 7 litres on hand,it's better to have to much fluid on hand then not enough,sucks when you're dasmn near done,just to find out you needed another 1/2 litre of fluid. What ever you don't use,you should be able to return to your local dealer,or keep it on hand for the next time you service an 8 speed.Here's the factory instructions for checking the level in the trucks 8 speed,pay attention to the first paragraph,as you need to lift the rear tires about 8 or 9" in the air to get the pan rail level.These are the factory ZF instructions that come with a "brand new" truck 8 speed when you buy one from the dealer.

Attachments

• IMG_3383 (2).JPG
    IMG_3383 (2).JPG
    272.9 KB · Views: 35

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I purchased 7 quarts of zf fluid, not mopar 8 speed. I went to the local dollar store and purchased a 10 quart plastic pan for 1.99 and then carefully filled it with water marking 1 thru 9 quarts.

Poured water out, dried pan and then used the plastic drain bolt on the pan to empty the fluid into my pre marked pan. I got 5 quarts exactly according to my pre marked drain pan.

I then reinstalled the trans pan bolt and took the pan down from the transmission.

Once down and I was careful not to spill, I emptied the remaining fluid into the pre marked pan. I got another 1/2 quart for 5.5 quarts. Now I know I didn't account for the fluid that hit the crossover pipe or any fluid trapped in the filter or any that dripped that my drain pan did not capture once the pan was removed.

When I reinstalled the new pan, I poured 2 quarts into the new pan and reinstalled. No it was not easy and yes I had to be super careful not to spill any.

After the pan was bolted up I took my 4 quart spray jug I purchased at ace hardware and proceeded to fill the trans following the green card procedure.

At the end of the procedure, I had approx a half quart in my spray bottle. Two days later I checked fluid level and It took another 1/2 pint, so about 5.75 quarts.

I also installed the Chaulk04 valve at the same time so there was some fluid loss there but it might have been a shot glass of fluid.

My experience. Yours could differ.

Gmantwo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just did my pan last night. Took just over 3 quarts to run out the plug. Left it overnight and I’m about to see if it’ll take any more. Figure maybe the filter has soaked up some. And yes, I followed the instructions to a tee my back is still jacked up and the rails are level.

Gmantwo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just checked. Only able to get a couple ounces in before it ran out

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It's been a year since I did mine, but IIRC I got about 4.5 quarts out and 5 back in. The 8 quarts you saw include the torque converter I believe.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I apologize but I've found so many conflicting posts. Getting ready to change fluid in my 2019 8 speed by dropping the pan and refilling. I've watched videos and read posts, but I've found fluid capacity ranges from 5.5 qts to 8 qts for the same transmission in the RAM. Can several confirm the correct amount (before I take out a loan to buy the fluid lol)?

Also, any deals on the real ZF Lifeguard fluid or Mopar fluid? I've found Lifeguard has a few different part numbers, and the BMW, etc fluid is Only (only) $15 per qt, but Chrysler ZF fluid is about $22. Frustrating that its so expensive (yes, I've read posts about the other brands but I don't want to take a chance until more data is available).

Thanks!
It was 5.5 quarts for me. I got 7 quarts of Lifeguard from an Audi dealer on flea bay at $18 per quart with free shipping. No need to pay the Mopar price as it’s all the same fluid with different packaging.