2014 5.7 8 speed trans flush - couldn't get pan out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

billygg420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey All. I know there's quite a few threads on the proper procedure for flushing the zf 8 speed. I read and printed some of them out. I tackled this job last week and it didn't go as planned, go figure.

I have the 8 speed trans where the crossover exhaust pipe exists. Because of that, I couldn't get the pan out. I tried to jack up the trans once I unbolted the 3 cross-member to trans bolts and the thing wouldn't lift. The entire truck was lifting. Has anyone done this procedure and HAD to jack up the trans an inch or so to get the pan out? If so, what the trick there? I thought maybe the trans mounts we're rusted to the frame. My truck is a 14 with only 60k miles. Its fairly clean under there. I did take a hammer and beat on the mounts a bit as i has pressure on the trans with a floor jack. Didn't budge.

I ended up just bolting the original pan back up after the drain and did the rest of the fluid replace procedure as documented. I used the valve max life zf fluid. It runs great and shifts great. The fluid swap went well, but, I'm still sitting on a brand new pan and filter. I wouldn't mind trying this one more time if I can get the darn pan out.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Once i un bolted the 3 bolts I didnt have a problem lifting up the trans Just place a jack under the Tcase are you sure you didnt miss a bolt or someting?

OP
OP
billygg420

billygg420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I definitely got all 3 nuts. You jacked it up using the transfer case? My truck isn't 4 wheel, I don't think I have one of those. I have the 2 piece drive shaft

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dropped the exhaust out on mine to clear the pan. With my arh long tubes the crossover sits in a slightly different spot and was completely under 2 of the bolts so I’m not sure lifting the transmission would have given me enough space to access the bolts very well.

Attachments

• IMG_2586.jpeg
    IMG_2586.jpeg
    98.3 KB · Views: 22

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I wonder if the 2wd trucks somehow sit lower to the exhaust. Mine pan unbolted and slid right out. No removing crossmembers or jacking up transmission. I agree with the other poster about dropping the exhaust if you had to.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357