What is the difference between 2wd and 4x4 spindles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maximumrisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2005 dodge ram 1500 Quad Cab. What makes them different?
I have an ongoing project of putting big brakes on my truck (4x4) and it is turning out to be a lot of work to do so (mounting JGC srt-8 calipers on 4x4 spindle)though I am working on it :naughty:, Anyways I have come across a gentleman in my area that is parting out a SRT-10 and I was wondering if the 2WD spindle can be made to fit or if the differences are just too great. I have seen pictures of both (4x2 & 4x4) and they do not look that much different from each other. Does anyone know??

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Going from 4wd spindle to 2wd spindle will give you about an inch drop up front. Otherwise not much different. If you go to rock auto, find your ram, open up steering, select knuckle, you can compare the 2wd and 4wd, you'll see the difference there if you swap back and forth quickly.

OP
OP
M

Maximumrisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Going from 4wd spindle to 2wd spindle will give you about an inch drop up front. Otherwise not much different. If you go to rock auto, find your ram, open up steering, select knuckle, you can compare the 2wd and 4wd, you'll see the difference there if you swap back and forth quickly.

thanks for the quick response. Physically, in pictures, they look very similar, although the angle of top balljoint looks a little different it does not look like it would be way off. I will talk to the guys parting out the SRT and see if he would allow me to take some measurements before buying.

As for the my original project here are a few pics of what I am working on

20150713_104435_zpseqxkc6fa.jpg
20150713_104425_zps4rmxdpev.jpg
20150713_104349_zpsf3zc0pep.jpg

the mounting ears are way off. The idea is to use a hole saw and drill a 1" opening in the 4x4 spindle (as seen in the first pic). Then cut and drill some 1", round aluminum bar to be inserted in the 1" hole so that it would meet the caliper's mounting ear, line everything up, the weld it. I also found out that the bolts that mount the hub to the spindle are the perfect lenght/thread to bolt the caliper to the spindle This is not a finish product, of course, this is a spindle that I sacrificed to see what it would take to make the caliper fit. The final product will have the holes drilled more towards the center. Sorry it all this sounds confusing but it is a little hard to explain without writing a book :)

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Haha it's all good. You must going fast to bed that stopping power. You can notice the lower ball joint is closer on the 2wd and the tie rod seems to be in a different spot. Cool idea and nice work! Keep us updated. Would like to see done pictures of the truck if you got time to post some too! :)

OP
OP
M

Maximumrisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Haha it's all good. You must going fast to bed that stopping power. You can notice the lower ball joint is closer on the 2wd and the tie rod seems to be in a different spot. Cool idea and nice work! Keep us updated. Would like to see done pictures of the truck if you got time to post some too! :)

It is not fast, but i am also working on that :D . I have a pair of gt30 turbos that will get here tomorrow and i will, hopefully, start on that this weekend or the one after. Once i begin i will start a build/progress thread

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMIMS37