What parts should I replace?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KT-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
I bought a 2018 Ram 1500 Lonestar. I know for a fact it's lifted because there are 35" tires. It appears the previous owner just installed spacers in the stock struts. The only upgrade I think happened is the rear shocks from Zone Off Road.

I'm new to the RAM trucks and lifted trucks in general.

My issue is:
1. The front tires hit the lower control arms when turn in either direction.
2. The rear of the truck gets a loud (ONE TIME) pop noise (VERY LOUD) when backing up.
3. Was going down the highway with my wife and hit a large Up and down bump in the road. Felt the whole truck stop for a split second. Plus a I get a lot of sway.

Would you guys just recommend installing a whole lift kit from Rough Country with new Upper Control Arms and wheel spacers?
https://www.roughcountry.com/product/configurable/dodge-suspension-lift-kit-333c#2921=9647

I suspect the previous owner went the cheapest route possible. Best part got really great tires from Fierce Attitude M/T (35x12.5R20LJ).

Let me know what ya'll suggest.

Attachments

• FrontStrut-shocks.png
    FrontStrut-shocks.png
    634.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5371.jpg
    IMG_5371.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5379.jpg
    IMG_5379.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5380.jpg
    IMG_5380.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5381.jpg
    IMG_5381.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5382.jpg
    IMG_5382.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5384.jpg
    IMG_5384.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20231030_234508525-SM.jpg
    PXL_20231030_234508525-SM.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 9

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its probably a zone 4/6” lift. If so, thats much better than any RC setup. Dont go downgrading lol.

Check for worn components that might be making the clunking noise. Control arm bushing, sway bar bushings etc.

Nice looking truck! Yes, wheel spacers would keep your tires from rubbing. Too much though, and you could start rubbing on the fender.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I bought a 2018 Ram 1500 Lonestar. I know for a fact it's lifted because there are 35" tires. It appears the previous owner just installed spacers in the stock struts. The only upgrade I think happened is the rear shocks from Zone Off Road.

I'm new to the RAM trucks and lifted trucks in general.

My issue is:
1. The front tires hit the lower control arms when turn in either direction.
2. The rear of the truck gets a loud (ONE TIME) pop noise (VERY LOUD) when backing up.
3. Was going down the highway with my wife and hit a large Up and down bump in the road. Felt the whole truck stop for a split second. Plus a I get a lot of sway.

Would you guys just recommend installing a whole lift kit from Rough Country with new Upper Control Arms and wheel spacers?
https://www.roughcountry.com/product/configurable/dodge-suspension-lift-kit-333c#2921=9647

I suspect the previous owner went the cheapest route possible. Best part got really great tires from Fierce Attitude M/T (35x12.5R20LJ).

Let me know what ya'll suggest.
As mentioned the zone kit is far better than rough country. The clunking sound is the rear track bar the bolt is not tight enough. The line of rust is a telltale movement coming off the bolt on your track bar bracket. I would retorque everything and replace the shocks with Fox shocks. @Nick@GotExhaust can get you set up with replacement parts. Your lift is a Zone 6” lift with 5” rear springs

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is a Zone kit which is a very good kit and night and day better than any ROUGH country kit. The majority of your issues are most likely from poor install. I would have someone knowledgeable run through it all and check for worn parts and also make sure everything is torqued the way it should be. As mentioned above that is most likely the track bar bolt.

Also how many miles are on the truck? Could be time to replace/upgrade those stock struts that are reused for that kit with something like a Bilstein 5100 or Eibach and also upgrade the rear Zone shocks to the Fox Adventure series shocks.

This should solve most if not all issues other than the tires rubbing. That is due to using stock wheels with that much positive offset. Only way to solve that is change the wheels to something with a different offset or run a skinnier tire on existing wheels

Last edited: