What special / secret / normal places do you hunt for a new truck?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darin Heath

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hey guys.

I'm a current and fairly recent owner of a 2014 Laramie 2500 4x4 Mega Cab. It tows great, but its a gasser and I'd like to purchase a newer diesel Ram 2500 (2018-2020) of some kind (not Tradesman) with mileage under 40k. Nothing wrong with my current truck, and I've dumped 3-4k in revitalizing it, but it is sitting at 147000ish miles and I figure I can get 4-5 more years out of it without much trouble, but I'd like something that tows a bit better and will last a lot longer than this one likely will.

So with that said, other than places like autotrader.com, edmunds, carfax..etc.. and dealer websites, where would you recommend I start my search for a used diesel Ram 2500 and get the best deal?? Yes I understand this isn't rocket science, but if I didn't ask about secret or special search engines, websites, listing services, etc....I might miss an opportunity to learn from the community.

Thank in advance for any advice you can give on this subject. I'm sure more than just I would benefit from all the expertise and insider experience offered on this thread.

Phillyrube

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Villages in Florida. Lots of old folks kicking off...

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Last edited:

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The Villages in Florida. Lots of old folks kicking off...

LMAO !

I feel your pain, OP. I absolutely hate vehicle shopping,

Try not to get in too much of a hurry, look through dealer websites and visit dealerships, research as much as you can.

I just wish the process wasn't so much of a game, I walked out of several places, just because they were dicking me around. Probably went to 10 or 20 places it seemed, over the course of a few weeks.

Keep your chin up and go for what you want. Good luck.

MartyZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 5.7l Hemi
I have had good luck with Carfax.com Found my Ram on there and my wife's jeep. Makes it easy because you can see how many owners and accidents if you're buying used. Also gives a good filter for price range and distance from you.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have had good luck with Carfax.com Found my Ram on there and my wife's jeep. Makes it easy because you can see how many owners and accidents if you're buying used. Also gives a good filter for price range and distance from you.

I got my Ram from Carmax. It was a hair bit over priced, but it was the only one I could find that was a crew cab, a hemi, and within the mileage I wanted to be.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hey guys.

I'm a current and fairly recent owner of a 2014 Laramie 2500 4x4 Mega Cab. It tows great, but its a gasser and I'd like to purchase a newer diesel Ram 2500 (2018-2020) of some kind (not Tradesman) with mileage under 40k. Nothing wrong with my current truck, and I've dumped 3-4k in revitalizing it, but it is sitting at 147000ish miles and I figure I can get 4-5 more years out of it without much trouble, but I'd like something that tows a bit better and will last a lot longer than this one likely will.

So with that said, other than places like autotrader.com, edmunds, carfax..etc.. and dealer websites, where would you recommend I start my search for a used diesel Ram 2500 and get the best deal?? Yes I understand this isn't rocket science, but if I didn't ask about secret or special search engines, websites, listing services, etc....I might miss an opportunity to learn from the community.

Thank in advance for any advice you can give on this subject. I'm sure more than just I would benefit from all the expertise and insider experience offered on this thread.

If they have them by ypu, check Enterprise car rental. I know people who have bought cars from them and were happy with their purchace.

OP
OP
D

Darin Heath

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Both of those dealers are top sellers of brand new Rams, etc.
They both are taking in Used vehicles all of the time

https://www.dennisdillonchryslerjeepdodge.com/
gets orders for Brand new Rams from all over the USA
When the order comes in, customers drive or fly in to pick up the order

View these used Ram 2500 diesels
https://www.dennisdillonchryslerjee...rm=get_results&search=+RAM+2500+diesel&page=1

It would be a 1,200 trip for you, through Phoenix & Las Vegas & then a lot of nothing

So this dealership isn't just a local one for you and the others that mentioned it? Great find and I appreciate you letting me know about them, despite what would be an awesome drive. You are right, I did check out their prices. They are even less than trucks sold in the lowest cost of living areas in the country. I wonder if my trade in would also be devalued and it might be better to sell it in Arizona.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Well, I couldn't swing new pricing, so I shopped for used, and set up a search with CarGurus for what I wanted. I kept my search criteria to "had to haves" and let things like color slide.

It took a year, and I wasn't in a hurry anyway, but landed a deal I couldn't have found with any other method, I believe. The color was white, which i don't like because of snow invisibility up here in the northland, but took it anyway, because it is the most popular color and makes it easier to re-sell when the time comes. That, and white is the most visible color without snow, which is still 7 months of the year up here.

If I decide to buy new again, maybe for the wife's vehicle, I plan to use Consumer's Checkbook Buying Service, which is true competitive fee-bid without dealer kickbacks. All the other services have dealer kickbacks because they are free to the purchaser, therefore, skewed, higher bids.

Here is the link if you want https://www.checkbook.org/

Donald Parker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I bought my truck on CarGurus from a small dealer in NC (I am in Orlando). I made the deal online, flew up to Wilmington, NC and they picked me up. Great experience, just do your homework on the dealer reviews!!!!!

Chaplain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Asking us to give up our favorite car shopping sites is almost like asking a guy where his secret fishing spot is. Alright, I'll bite (pun) here are a couple of my favorite honey holes.

DieselSellerz.com their tv show is goofy and the site is under construction right now but when its back up a definite goto if you are looking for something special like a low mile LBZ or a 07 6sp manual 5.9, a cherry 7.3 or similar this is a great site to check out.
Off Road Classifieds | Category Off Road Vehicles (race-dezert.com) has some great "chase" trucks pop up from time to time.
Race Cars, Parts, Trailers & Engines for Sale | RacingJunk you never know what you are going to find here.
The best vintage and classic cars for sale online | Bring a Trailer gets the award for the ultimate time waister. Mainly cars, but do a search for van or truck and you find some sweet hearts.

GWR Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
I bought mine at Peterson Ram in Nampa Idaho. 2018 Ram Big Horn 3500 Mega Cab Diesel.

They had this truck as a leader and I couldn’t believe it was almost everything I wanted. Bought it new in May 2019.