What to do with the rear suspension - 2017 Ram 3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnVincze

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I took a 2017 RAM 3500 4x4 diesel mega-cab and turned it into an adventure camper. Think of an overland camper (like an Earthroamer). Part of the build included lengthening the frame between the cab and rear axle 18" to the 8' truck bed position. I did keep the original leaf springs but ...

The truck also got a BDS 3" lift/level kit with 3" on the front and new radius arms and 2" on the back.

The total truck weight with full fuel and water is 13,200# with approx 6400# on the front ax;e and 6800# on the rear. I had the truck weighed at a CAT Scales on my last trip

The BDS kit came with Fox2.0 shocks but with the weight they have proven too weak. I am upgrading the front shocks with Thuren built King 2.5s.

So the question becomes, what to do about the rear... Currently the rear is stock OEM leaf springs, the BDS kit adds 2" blocks and Fox2.0 shocks. I also had to add Firestone helper air bags.

Given the weight, should I be also upgrading the rear shocks, replacing the OEM leaf springs with something more stout?

Who is the best to work with. Recommendations please.

John
[email protected]

IMG_1644.jpeg

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Kelderman makes good stuff. Does the Mega pass through into the camper? I’d like to see more pictures!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

JohnVincze

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
OP
OP
J

JohnVincze

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I did evaluate the Kelderman stuff when I was designing the build. I decided I wanted to stay more mainstream with leaf springs and shocks and went with the BDS instead. Earthroamer uses Kelderman and it is certainly burly.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I did evaluate the Kelderman stuff when I was designing the build. I decided I wanted to stay more mainstream with leaf springs and shocks and went with the BDS instead. Earthroamer uses Kelderman and it is certainly burly.

BDS and Carli both make lift spring packs for the 3500. SDtrucksprings and skyjacker have add a leaf. Synergy has a 6” pack, which will be less with the weight you’re carrying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk