What to Do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjf84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Hey y’all, bought my 2012 1500 about two years ago for $18k at 98k miles. Been with me for a cross-country move and everyday driving since. The catch is that there’s always been something wrong with it. In two years, I’ve replaced:
-timing belt
-tpms sensor
-two o2 sensors
-water pump
-serpentine belt
-MAP sensor
-all four tires
And still have to fix:
-crack in one o2 sensor mount
-bad U-joints in the front driveshaft

It’s getting to the point where I wonder if the juice is worth the squeeze. I don’t mind fixing cars (enjoy it really), but the unreliability is killing me especially as someone who needs to go to work and is planning a move soon.

OP
OP
M

mjf84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
That’s it? Glad for you as you didn’t mention nothing about fixing engine/trans! Lifters/cam/manifold bolts to be specific.
Fair enough lol. I’ve been lucky that none of the problems have been too severe, there’s just always been more than one thing for as long as I remember and lately it feels like whack-a-mole. I’d like to get a month or two where it’s running fine without any issues

GRKN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Honestly doesn’t sound bad at all, it’s a 10 year old truck so your going to have that stuff. If you want a low maintenance vehicle, buy new, the choice is yours. Agree with the above, count yourself very fortunate to not have had any serious failures.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
Barely more than maintenance.
I believe that one must have confidence in vehicles in order to drive them across country and in remote locations. You seem to be losing confidence in your truck.
My last Ford diesel was still giving me great confidence after 20 years and 200 k miles.
I am hoping that the new Ram diesel does the same thing.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Let's go through these:

-timing belt - Are you talking about a timing chain?? I don't know what the deal there is. You'd have to explain why it "needed" replacing in order to comment. Normally it lasts the life of the engine. But perhaps there was a specific reason like a damaged chain guide, etc.

-tpms sensor - Tire pressure sensors can fail. The batteries can leak juice. Sometimes they are bad out of the box. Under the best circumstances, you might get maybe 10 yrs. That's the age of your truck. Sometimes it can be trauma too. A tire tech can mistakenly bump them in the process of replacing tires. I don't want to be conspiratorial ...but I've changed a lot of tires and know it doesn't take much to crack one. Easier than you think. A tech probably isn't going to say, "Gee wizzz, mr customer, I'm underpaid and overworked, but let me buy a new $60 sensor out of my own pocket for you ...and I just won't buy new shoes for my crippled kid." Nope. "Um, mr customer, we noticed you have a bad tire pressure sensor ...we think it would be prudent to replace it." But in your case it was probably just age or bad battery. I wish they'd stop using those stupid TPMS systems anyway.. (sorry that's just me).

-two o2 sensors - These shouldn't go out in the age of your truck. It either points to something like an internal coolant leak that killed them, a prematurely failed (faulty) part, or a wild guess by a tech to resolve another operational issue. Sometimes you try various things to resolve an engine condition and you get to the end of the line ....and then it makes sense to throw a few (strategic) parts at a problem (considering labor costs). Maybe the mounts were cracked and 'spoofed' bad O2 sensors. W/o knowing the EXACT situation from the mechanic's perspective, nobody can really say.

-water pump - Water pumps are one of those things which may last 200k miles, or 30k miles (or can fail after 500 miles). Usually somewhere in between and hopefully at the long end of the spectrum. Bearings, seals etc can fail, some sooner than others. That's just manufacturing probability. So you didn't get to the high end of the spectrum on that one.

-serpentine belt - Same as above ...they only last so long. The cost of NOT replacing can be way more than doing so. Wear item.

-MAP sensor - Maybe the one you had in there before could have been cleaned. Some may last the life of your truck, others may not. How often was the air filter replaced? Was it an aftermarket (oil impregnated) filter? Those are known to kill MAP sensors. Maybe a real dusty envrionment? Maybe a tech just taking a swing at problems and said it was bad (when it wasn't)? Or maybe a failed part.

-all four tires - Tires wear out. How often were they rotated? Was the air pressure too high/low? Worn suspension parts? Too fast around corners?? Damaged chords? Terrible balance job when new?

And still have to fix:
- Could have been damaged during factory install, terrible weld when new, Cracked due to 20,000 heat/cool cycles, or who knows? Shouldn't happen, but I give the mechanic credit for finding the crack. That's tricky to spot.

-bad U-joints in the front driveshaft - These wear out. I'd say it was premature for your truck's mileage. But does it see a lot of water? Did the previous owner off-road it? Probably shouldn't happen with the miles your truck has, but it's an easy fix. Lot less expensive than the other end of the driveshaft. Might want to check the rear U-joint too while you're at it.

It's frustrating ...but look on the good side, what are the things which COULD have failed but haven't: Trailer brake controller, P/S pump, A/C compressor, Heater core, HVAC damper door motors, TIPM (ECU) fuel pump rely, TIPM corroded connectors, Fuel pump, Fuel pump pressure regulator, Battery, Corroded battery cables, TIPM, Leaking shocks, Rear 3rd light water leak, ABS brake module, Wheel bearing/hubs, Driveshaft center bearing, Transmission shift solenoids, Leaky pinion seals, Rear wheel bearings, P/W switches, Column shifter break, U-connect issues, Upper control arms, anti-sway bar crack, Sway bar end-links break, Stuck thermostat, Major body rust, failed brake pedal switch, worn/torn driver's side seat cushion, Airbag light on, intake leak, exhaust manifold warpage, wiped out cam (5.7's), ruined engine (5.7's), brake wheel sensor fail, Rodents chewing wires, Birds stealing wiper arms! ..Starter, Alternator .....guys help me fill in what I've left out (my fingers are getting tired!!)....

I'll spare making a list of all the things I've had to replace on my H3!! Long list and they're all big items. I sill love that vehicle though :)

But I get it. You're frustrated with the costs. You're venting. I understand and I DO sincerely sympathize with you. I don't like it either when things fail. It sucks. We all wish for a vehicle that'll go 150k w/o much trouble. Sometimes they do, sometimes not. Should you keep or sell? Who knows? Hopefully with the items you've replaced so far, it'll be smooth sailing for a while, but OTOH, as a vehicle ages and parts wear, statistics say it's more likely things/parts will fail. If you buy new you get a warranty and shield yourself from costs for a while. That's the price of buying new.

Last edited:

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Like mentioned above you are describing normal maintainance for a used car/truck you will have the same issues with any other vehicle unless you buy new.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I didn’t know that !
InkedScreenshot 2023-01-19 at 13-00-20 What to Do.jpg
Let's go through these:

-timing belt - Are you talking about a timing chain?? I don't know what the deal there is. You'd have to explain why it "needed" replacing in order to comment. Normally it lasts the life of the engine. But perhaps there was a specific reason like a damaged chain guide, etc.

I'll spare making a list of all the things I've had to replace on my H3!! Long list and they're all big items. I sill love that vehicle though :)
We established 6 posts before that he meant serpentine lol.....and well, it's an H3; one of the worst vehicle lines (H2 & H3) GM ever produced.

Screenshot 2023-01-19 at 13-02-51 What to Do.png

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We established 6 posts before that he meant serpentine lol.....and well, it's an H3; one of the worst vehicle lines (H2 & H3) GM ever produced.

I agree on the H2. But H3 is more along the lines of a Colorado. Great vehicle IMO. Those tech millennials who write click-bait stories 'worst ever' and never drove one sure like to use them as a pin cushion. Mine was high-mileage when I got it and lots to sort out from PO (I didn't mention that). But yeah... not for the faint of wallet. :)

Rams/Fords/GM's ...they all have their good and bad.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I understand how you feel and sympathize, nothing worse than having to stop your Life and deal with a broken down daily Driver but, everything you are doing is basic stuff that one would expect to pop up, at that age and mileage.

No matter whether you go Use or New, there is going to be a Cost of Ownership.
New
, that cost of Ownership is the depreciation but the Owner knows his vehicle is good to go, any issues are under warranty, can buy 7 yr, high mileage warranty, if he desires.

Used, cost of vehicle is much lower but the little things are going to pop up.

NO matter which way you go, there's Pain.

You already bought this truck, you know it. Give it a good inspection, get busy repairing the little things that you can see and drive it. If you sell it and get something else, unless oging New, you aare going to have the same issues, LIttle things popping up that demand your attention and wallet.

Good LUck

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
If it moves, it will break eventually. Just like we do!

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I agree on the H2. But H3 is more along the lines of a Colorado. Great vehicle IMO. Those tech millennials who write click-bait stories 'worst ever' and never drove one sure like to use them as a pin cushion. Mine was high-mileage when I got it and lots to sort out from PO (I didn't mention that). But yeah... not for the faint of wallet. :)

Rams/Fords/GM's ...they all have their good and bad.
Guy I used to be stationed with had one; nothing but problems. I think it eventually got to the point that he spent more money of shop repairs than he actually did for the vehicle lol. Didn't like it myself.

OP
OP
M

mjf84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Let's go through these:

-tpms sensor - Tire pressure sensors can fail. The batteries can leak juice. Sometimes they are bad out of the box. Under the best circumstances, you might get maybe 10 yrs. That's the age of your truck. Sometimes it can be trauma too. A tire tech can mistakenly bump them in the process of replacing tires. I don't want to be conspiratorial ...but I've changed a lot of tires and know it doesn't take much to crack one. Easier than you think. A tech probably isn't going to say, "Gee wizzz, mr customer, I'm underpaid and overworked, but let me buy a new $60 sensor out of my own pocket for you ...and I just won't buy new shoes for my crippled kid." Nope. "Um, mr customer, we noticed you have a bad tire pressure sensor ...we think it would be prudent to replace it." But in your case it was probably just age or bad battery. I wish they'd stop using those stupid TPMS systems anyway.. (sorry that's just me).

-two o2 sensors - These shouldn't go out in the age of your truck. It either points to something like an internal coolant leak that killed them, a prematurely failed (faulty) part, or a wild guess by a tech to resolve another operational issue. Sometimes you try various things to resolve an engine condition and you get to the end of the line ....and then it makes sense to throw a few (strategic) parts at a problem (considering labor costs). Maybe the mounts were cracked and 'spoofed' bad O2 sensors. W/o knowing the EXACT situation from the mechanic's perspective, nobody can really say.

-water pump - Water pumps are one of those things which may last 200k miles, or 30k miles (or can fail after 500 miles). Usually somewhere in between and hopefully at the long end of the spectrum. Bearings, seals etc can fail, some sooner than others. That's just manufacturing probability. So you didn't get to the high end of the spectrum on that one.

-serpentine belt - Same as above ...they only last so long. The cost of NOT replacing can be way more than doing so. Wear item.

-MAP sensor - Maybe the one you had in there before could have been cleaned. Some may last the life of your truck, others may not. How often was the air filter replaced? Was it an aftermarket (oil impregnated) filter? Those are known to kill MAP sensors. Maybe a real dusty envrionment? Maybe a tech just taking a swing at problems and said it was bad (when it wasn't)? Or maybe a failed part.

-all four tires - Tires wear out. How often were they rotated? Was the air pressure too high/low? Worn suspension parts? Too fast around corners?? Damaged chords? Terrible balance job when new?

And still have to fix:
- Could have been damaged during factory install, terrible weld when new, Cracked due to 20,000 heat/cool cycles, or who knows? Shouldn't happen, but I give the mechanic credit for finding the crack. That's tricky to spot.

-bad U-joints in the front driveshaft - These wear out. I'd say it was premature for your truck's mileage. But does it see a lot of water? Did the previous owner off-road it? Probably shouldn't happen with the miles your truck has, but it's an easy fix. Lot less expensive than the other end of the driveshaft. Might want to check the rear U-joint too while you're at it.

It's frustrating ...but look on the good side, what are the things which COULD have failed but haven't: Trailer brake controller, P/S pump, A/C compressor, Heater core, HVAC damper door motors, TIPM (ECU) fuel pump rely, TIPM corroded connectors, Fuel pump, Fuel pump pressure regulator, Battery, Corroded battery cables, TIPM, Leaking shocks, Rear 3rd light water leak, ABS brake module, Wheel bearing/hubs, Driveshaft center bearing, Transmission shift solenoids, Leaky pinion seals, Rear wheel bearings, P/W switches, Column shifter break, U-connect issues, Upper control arms, anti-sway bar crack, Sway bar end-links break, Stuck thermostat, Major body rust, failed brake pedal switch, worn/torn driver's side seat cushion, Airbag light on, intake leak, exhaust manifold warpage, wiped out cam (5.7's), ruined engine (5.7's), brake wheel sensor fail, Rodents chewing wires, Birds stealing wiper arms! ..Starter, Alternator .....guys help me fill in what I've left out (my fingers are getting tired!!)....

But I get it. You're frustrated with the costs. You're venting. I understand and I DO sincerely sympathize with you. I don't like it either when things fail. It sucks. We all wish for a vehicle that'll go 150k w/o much trouble. Sometimes they do, sometimes not. Should you keep or sell? Who knows? Hopefully with the items you've replaced so far, it'll be smooth sailing for a while, but OTOH, as a vehicle ages and parts wear, statistics say it's more likely things/parts will fail. If you buy new you get a warranty and shield yourself from costs for a while. That's the price of buying new.
Yup, pretty much spot on. In terms of the sensors, no issues from techs, they were direct codes for the parts failing and on visual inspection once I took em out, they were definitely busted. $30 parts so not much skin off my back on those ones. I do agree with your comment that on a lot of these things it seems they failed quicker than they maybe should have. It spent the first 10 years and 98k miles driving in New England though, so wet and salty roads probably did me no favors. Seems like the previous owner didn’t take the best care of it, I’ve had to deal with his handiwork here and there.

All in all, I like the truck. Just some frustration because it feels like the guy who had it before me left me with some problems from the parts he put in and routine maintenance he neglected.

I guess a better question is how can I be proactive and try to keep her healthy going forward? My last truck was an 04 Silverado that lasted us 276k and is still on the road today. I know that’s not common, but would love to at least keep my Ram running for a while too. Cheers

OP
OP
M

mjf84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Barely more than maintenance.
I believe that one must have confidence in vehicles in order to drive them across country and in remote locations. You seem to be losing confidence in your truck.
My last Ford diesel was still giving me great confidence after 20 years and 200 k miles.
I am hoping that the new Ram diesel does the same thing.
Good way to put it. I was really confident in this truck when I drove it cross-country, but these days not so much. I had an old 04 Silverado that lasted 270k+ and I sure could count on that one. I think I can get my Ram back to a point where I feel that good about it, but not there yet.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
A post to say that I know it sucks to have to spend money like that, but some of those things are wear parts like tires and belts. I had to chase the O2 issue, a couple bad ones installed as replacements that also caused damage to the connector which I also had to replace.

The thing is that parts fail, maybe your truck had a hard life before. I think it is natural to expect to replace some parts on a used vehicle and I certainly have had my share of parts-sucking vehicles. If you like the truck, then you have to just commit to the repairs it needs. Otherwise, sell it now and try a different one.

Good luck.