What to Do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I buy all my vehicles at around 100K. Seems like most people dump them at that mileage, knowing they need a bunch of stuff done, so I'm prepared to do all the maintenance. I expect to change oil, spark plugs, air filter, cabin filter if equipped, serpentine belt, tensioner and idler pulley if needed, all heater hoses and coolant hoses, trans fluid and filters, gear oil, brakes and brake fluid, and probably tires. And a few random things that pop up. Most of that stuff is going to be original or getting old. It's still a huge cash savings over a new vehicle and I know everything is now maintained properly.

At least you didn't buy my Ram lol. It was an ex fleet vehicle, 106K, and ended up with lifter failure. So I did all that maintenance and had to rebuild the motor. But it's so much fun to drive I don't regret a penny :cool:

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
.... I guess a better question is how can I be proactive and try to keep her healthy going forward? ....
Look at what yo have already done.

Water pump?
Replace all hoses, Coolant and flush the entire system, removing any Gunk with RMI-25.

Serpentine Belt? 9 yr truck?
Replace idler pulley,. It's going to go.
Why wait for it to ruin your new belt and leave you stranded alongside the road?
unless you want yet another opportunity to complain about hot this truck is junk & gives nothing but problems.

Plugs & Wires.

Brakes, rotors and Calipers, if needed.
This way, you KNOW when they were done.

Whenever I did buy a used car, when young & broke, I always changed all fluids, Engine Coolant/Oil, tanny, rear end.
Replace plugs and wires. along with Brakes, Rotors & Calipers, just so I know when they were last done and that they were done, right.
Chalk it up to cost of buying a used car, vs new and still save a ton of cash.

Also did a deep clean detailing of the entire car, Engine bay, under carraige, interior.
Not because I'm a clean freak but mostly because I wanted to get my eyeball, on every inch of that thing.
Be surprised how many tiny things, which are easy, simple fixes, that can save a ton of pain, later.
But if you do not find them they will come calling, when they are a much more expensive issue and, best of all,
leave you stranded.

Good Luck.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The addition of all the techno-glitz, gov't-mandated complexity, and corporate outsourcing to the lowest price unqualified bidder has made modern vehicles as unreliable as the junkers we drove in the 60's.

There was a narrow window of time when technology made them more reliable, then went way overboard, along with governments and corporate profiteering. Now days we have near impossible kluge machines.

I plan to milk my 2017 back into the ferrous ore from whence it was incarnated.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
There is no comparison between the longevity of today's vehicles and the older ones we grew up with. Sure modern vehicles are more complicated. But they last. I think diesel trucks and Japanese cars are the best bets for longevity.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Jeepwalker - I am always very impressed with the amount of time and effort you put into the quality responses you do. The guys you help are very lucky you will spend that much time.

OP - fix EVERYTHING you know is wrong as soon as you know. Leaving stuff broken leads to other stuff breaking. Sounds like the rig was poorly maintained by previous owner so I would go through and do a full end to end, top to bottom, service of all fluids, plugs, filters, brakes, expendables etc, rather than waiting for stuff to break. If you still have problems after that, might be time to try a better maintained truck.

Last edited:

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IMO changing the serpentine belt is minor and a maintenance requirment. Other than that, i havent had to fix any of that on my 2007. Well, i have had to get tires a few times. Unavoidable lol.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I buy all my vehicles at around 100K. Seems like most people dump them at that mileage, knowing they need a bunch of stuff done, so I'm prepared to do all the maintenance. I expect to change oil, spark plugs, air filter, cabin filter if equipped, serpentine belt, tensioner and idler pulley if needed, all heater hoses and coolant hoses, trans fluid and filters, gear oil, brakes and brake fluid, and probably tires. And a few random things that pop up. Most of that stuff is going to be original or getting old. It's still a huge cash savings over a new vehicle and I know everything is now maintained properly.

At least you didn't buy my Ram lol. It was an ex fleet vehicle, 106K, and ended up with lifter failure. So I did all that maintenance and had to rebuild the motor. But it's so much fun to drive I don't regret a penny :cool:

If it has good 'bones', an owner can often get many trouble-free miles after replacing the bulk of maintenance items after purchase. Great you've developed the skillset to do those things and that's fantastic!! IDK if 100k is even considered high miles these days?? :) I guess by some it is.

Going back to the OP, why not take some time and shop new or lightly used trucks and see what's out there on the current landscape. What the costs are, if it fits the budget. Maybe wait 2 months and see if the market continues to bring prices down.

Last edited:

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Basically what has been stated above. The list of items is not by any means excessive for that age of vehicle. To be blunt, you bought a 10 year old vehicle with 100k miles on it and then stated one of the reasons it is unreliable is that you had to replace the tires. Don't get me wrong as I understand the frustration with having to spend money but that is what happens with an old vehicle. I kept my last truck 16 years and put 150k miles on it and finally got rid of it just because I got tired of having to replace something everytime I drove it (fortunately it was not my daily driver for the last 5-6 years I had it).
A lot of the items you listed are simply maintenance items. I would also ask how many of those items actually left you stranded versus just causing the check engine light to come on?

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey y’all, bought my 2012 1500 about two years ago for $18k at 98k miles. Been with me for a cross-country move and everyday driving since. The catch is that there’s always been something wrong with it. In two years, I’ve replaced:
-timing belt
-tpms sensor
-two o2 sensors
-water pump
-serpentine belt
-MAP sensor
-all four tires
And still have to fix:
-crack in one o2 sensor mount
-bad U-joints in the front driveshaft

It’s getting to the point where I wonder if the juice is worth the squeeze. I don’t mind fixing cars (enjoy it really), but the unreliability is killing me especially as someone who needs to go to work and is planning a move soon.
Meant with all respect, if you are less than tolerant of occasional repairs, maybe a ten year-old vehicle with lots of miles is not for you.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 83507 miles

Mikeffoxford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 hemi
Hey y’all, bought my 2012 1500 about two years ago for $18k at 98k miles. Been with me for a cross-country move and everyday driving since. The catch is that there’s always been something wrong with it. In two years, I’ve replaced:
-timing belt
-tpms sensor
-two o2 sensors
-water pump
-serpentine belt
-MAP sensor
-all four tires
And still have to fix:
-crack in one o2 sensor mount
-bad U-joints in the front driveshaft

It’s getting to the point where I wonder if the juice is worth the squeeze. I don’t mind fixing cars (enjoy it really), but the unreliability is killing me especially as someone who needs to go to work and is planning a move soon.
Oh I have a 2013 had to replace cam shaft starter batteries now truck died on me at store parking lot won’t start battery is new and starter was replaced and ideas maybe now they say Alternator has 114000 miles any help