What would you do? ‘99 or ‘08 Ram 1500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bereabuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
9C925A1B-E3B9-4A59-82C5-0083A65967F6.jpegI own a 99 Ram 1500 SLT quad cab 4x4 with 90k original miles. Coolant hose ruptured and transmission is slipping. Otherwise, it’s in really good shape, but could use a few things to get it back to new: it leaks oil (sending unit, I think), some rust at bottom of passenger door, needs a rear bearing, 4x4 likes to stick (vacuum line, I reckon), and exhaust manifold has popped a bolt. It definitely needs new shocks. This thing is pretty with just 90k miles. Everything on truck is stock except headlights.

A relative wants to even trade an ‘08 quad cab with 180k miles. It runs great with a 5.7 Hemi. It‘a a 4x4 with aftermarket wheels. Tailgate and rear bumper is rusted. It has a pretty rough shake at 60mph. Not sure what that is, but the tire indicator light is on, so it could be a low tire. Feels like it has a flat spot or something.

C39F77C3-8F80-4A7F-A4C4-854F09FD58A3.jpeg

Would you trade?

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would vote for keeping the ‘99. Half the miles and they are great trucks. At 190,000 miles, all of the things wrong with yours are potentially coming on the ‘08..shocks, tranny, etc

I had a 2000 Ram and loved it, except the 5.9 was pretty thirsty.

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’d keep the truck that you know the history on. There’s a reason he wants to trade a newer truck for one a decade older. If fixing the shake was so easy as adding air to a tire, then he probably would have done that by now… and if it is a really simple fix, but he hasn’t bothered, then that could be a bad sign for how his truck has been cared for. Sounds like you will wind up doing work on either one of them.

The only caveat I would give, is to judge the condition of your dash. If your dash is starting to fall apart, you can replace the top, but there is no supplier for the under side of it. If that is the case, it may turn out to be more headache than you want to deal with. Depends on how handy you are and how motivated you are to fix it.

Last edited:

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Why does the relative want to trade and is the relative a dirtbag?

OP
OP
B

Bereabuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So there’s more to the story… just got word from the shop that the rear axle fluid is full of metal and the transfer case was dry. I’m going thru oil, too. Someone said a rear seal leak or oil sending unit. Also, the transmission is slipping. This truck has been driven gently and I know it’s history, and I sure cannot go buy another one right now.

The dash caved in long ago. I have an aftermarket dash that’s in great shape.

The guy wanting to trade has wanted my truck for a long time… really, he’s wanted it for years and right now has an extra truck he’s getting rid of.

Theck4291

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum V8
personally man I'd stay with the second gen. They are much more aesthetically pleasing. i get that you have your work cut out fixing it, but just my opinion

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would take the newer truck, get rid of those wheels and go stock and the vibration will most likely be gone.
Tailgate and bumper are nothing - easy to replace/fix.

Yours need a completely rebuilt running gear front to rear and doors.
Interior should be nicer on the newer truck.

Last edited:

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's your choice, but since your asking, I would still with the 2nd gen.

shrubs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Excellent posts above. Not much to add.

From a guy who keeps vehicles for years…..I used to live in AZ, where people would repair andkeep their older vehicle on the road for years.

My father told me “people sell their problems”.

Yes this is a trade. Maybe the problem with the 08 are not so much a problem to you. I.e. maybe the shaking is easy to fix. Or not. You might want a later year model. Your relative wants the older truck. Why?

You can take care of the 99 problems slowly but surely. The low miles help with parts expiration. Obviously, it will always have things go wrong as time/mileage and discovery goes on. Be aware that 1999 parts may be harder and harder to find. Not impossible.

Best of all, you know the exact history on the 99.

edit to change wording