What's better? 6.4L or the Cummins Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CfoxRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had both and currently have a 2018 2500 with the Cummins and for myself will never have another gasser. Fuel mileage is much better with the Cummins, towing is much smoother with better acceleration and the Cummins is basically bulletproof and you can run that Cummins for half a million miles with good maintenance.

351857BE-689C-491E-A432-921BC719129F.jpeg

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I have had both and currently have a 2018 2500 with the Cummins and for myself will never have another gasser. Fuel mileage is much better with the Cummins, towing is much smoother with better acceleration and the Cummins is basically bulletproof and you can run that Cummins for half a million miles with good maintenance.

View attachment 232824
ya maybe the engine will go that long. but unless you live out west. and still only a few states that truck will rust out long before the engine is wore out.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Again, the diesel option is another $9,000 or so, above the 6.4 Hemi. That buys a lot of gasoline.

I'd only go back to diesel if I needed it - towing heavy loads, lots of miles, up and down mountains, etc.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Depends on what you will do with the truck. The Cummins is unbeatable for towing capacity. And I think if you get the standard Cummins 6.7 (not high output one) you'll get better fuel economy. Not sure what the fuel economy is on the 6.4

App. 11-12 mpg towing, 16-18 mpg dead head. On summer gas, summer temps.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Traded 2013 CTD g56 on 2019 6.4. I’m happy. Wife is happy. No money towards deletes, clutches, bro ****, injectors because you dont drive it hard enough, etc. I installed a $300 muffler on the 6.4 and it’s smiles per gallon for me.
Diesels are a fad like today’s harleys are. They used to mean something to own, Now everyone has one.
If you are going to “work” the truck then the diesel is a no brainer. If not you will have problems down the road.

Mind sharing what muffler you put on?

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Let’s say you keep your Cummins Diesel for 7 years then sell it, and get $9000 more than a comparable 6.4. You broke even; got all your money back, right?

Wrong. The guy who bought the 6.4 took his extra $9000, went to TD Ameritrade and bought $9k worth of S+P 500, and his $9000 grew into $18,000.

That’s how my brain works.

But if you truly wanted to be money ahead, you’d buy a used Carolla, and stay in hotels, and invest the $100,00 you saved.

I used to drive a used Carolla.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you are going to order one get the 6.4 with 4:10's. I have a 2012 3500 limited and my nephew just bought a 2500 with the 6.4 and 4:10's and he has more towing capacity and more tongue weight than my 3500 diesel. Granted the diesel has more torque and will go up hills easier than the 6.4 and will get a little better fuel mileage but for the little bit of towing my 5th wheel I do I will never buy another diesel.

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
This is very subjective and use-based. I read plenty of threads of people that bought the diesels spending thousands to delete and tune on top of the $9,000.00 extra the Cummins costs. The same can be said for guys modifying the gas trucks but I feel the diesel trucks seem more prone to a delete and tune, but I could just be delusional.

I bought the 6.4 Tradesman because I'm not made of money and don't want to spend $60k on a truck. I traded my 2016 Ram 1500 in for my 2019 2500 because my 1500 was not comfortable towing our 7500# travel trailer. Once I got the 2500, we decided it was time for a 5w because they're supposed to tow a lot better. They do- world's better. I hated towing the travel trailer (32' long). The 5w is so planted, it's effortless towing.

I plow in the winter so the truck carries about 2000# of salt plus the 1000# plow. The spreader stays in the truck all winter- the plow comes on and off as needed.
I have no regrets except for pulling into small fuel islands with the gas truck and a 5w is sometimes a pain. Would I buy a diesel if they cost the same? Sure, as long as it doesn't stink like the deleted trucks driving around. Ultimately I'm glad I don't have to mess with the fuel filters and DEF and satisfied with my decision.

For reference, I towed my travel trailer from NH to SD last summer and got about 9mpg. Towing my 5W from NH to ME, a couple hundred miles each way, I also get about 9 mpg. 34' long and roughly 9500# dry/ 11,000# loaded.

Good Luck. Skip the small camper.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I think you will find with the release of the 6.4l HEMI in 2014...this is more the case more often.

A few right here in this thread.
I didn't say it never happened. Just saying in my opinion and most of what I read on Ram forums, the flow is more from gas to diesel than the other way around.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
I didn't say it never happened. Just saying in my opinion and most of what I read on Ram forums, the flow is more from gas to diesel than the other way around.

Is this a NEED BASED change or did the Diesel bug bite them? I’d be curious to talk with those that have switched gas to diesel and find out what color the grass is there in dieselville.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Is this a NEED BASED change or did the Diesel bug bite them? I’d be curious to talk with those that have switched gas to diesel and find out what color the grass is there in dieselville.
It sure seems need based. Bigger trailer/RV. I've watched the same thing happen in my dirt bike club. 20 years ago, almost all gas trucks with small campers/trailers. Now our camp is full of triple axle 5th wheels toyboxes all with diesel pullers.

Dive-Ho

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
CTD
OK I've had both, 2017 6.4 2500, currently drive a 2020 3500 CC DRW long bed Cummins Laramie Longhorn. When I went to buy this truck the exact same truck in 6.4 was availible for ONLY $5000 less than the diesel as the dealer came off the price of the Cummins equipped truck much more than the 6.4. I'm pulling nearly 17K pounds so I had to have the diesel. Did I mention the exhaust brake is awesome in the mountains. I towed my 10k TT a couple of months with the DRW diesel and the diesel now tows 17k lbs 5th wheel almost like it isn't there.. But in my experience the $9k cost of the Cummins was much less than the price on paper and as far as the towing capabilties, there is no comparision. After having both there is no way I would go back to gas. JMHO. Good luck with what ever you decide.

Last edited:

blue285k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lot of 25 year old Cummins diesel trucks with 300+ K on the clock on craigslist that are still bringing brain damage on resale value. Will the newer diesels last that long with EGR and all the happy horse crap(?) who knows but they (Ram) have improved the software since 2007 to deal with some of the earlier problems of diesel emissions and if you don't live in a emission area...

danoday

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could just buy a Class A diesel pusher RV and tow your 1500. A much better RVing experience at about the same cost as a new 3/4 ton and travel trailer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
What's better? 6.4L or the Cummins Diesel in a 2500

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Well I'm sure both can pretty much do the same job up to a point. But one may not last as many years as the other.

The maximum mileage you can expect from a 6.4 V8 Hemi is anything in excess of 250 000 miles.

The average mileage you can expect from the diesel is a million plus.

Average mpg is 15.7. Thats dodge saying it. If you baby it while driving it will be a bit more. I suggest a tuner if you get one.

The diesel depending how you set it up can be as much as 17, but can go up to 27 or 28 mpg if on a tuner.

Wait till one morning you start the 6.4 up and get covered by smoke. Won't happen all the time but will every once in a while. Some say its the pcv valve.

Don't be surprised that engine temp hits 225 just driving it around, Its the nature of the beast.

You will most likely still have the same cam and lifter issue like the 5.7.

You start pulling max trailer weight and thats where the diesel will excell over the gasser. You can't replace a diesel with a gasser. Nor for the gasser to be better up hills.

high-output 6.7-liter Cummins turbodiesel delivers 1,000 lb-ft of torque, along with 400 hp. That compacted graphite iron powerplant is mated to a six-speed automatic, as is the standard output (370 hp, 850 lb-ft) diesel. The 6.4-liter Hemi is still offered as well, making more Earthlike power numbers (410 hp, 429 lb-ft). Big difference if your looking pulling power. Not saying the gasser can not do it, but the diesel excells at pulling up a mountain.

I like the longhorn edition, different leather and similar electronic assembly as the 1500. And the fact they used real wood on dash and steering wheel.

The diesel has a column shift where the gasser will have a rotary switch. I like the charging setup. My phone is a Samsung and charges wirelessly. I like the air suspension. I can lower the truck when hitching up a fifth wheel.

The Cummins valve adjusters are different. I can get rid of almost all the ticks. Truck still has a bit of vibration at idle, but I have gotten used to it. Center console is plenty wide great for elbows of two people. Still like the hide out cubby hole.

The real heat/AC controls seperate from two sides is nice. I like the ac on me but my wife likes it warmer. We are in arizona so this works very well.

The Aisin tranny feels pretty solid, if I ever break it, it will be easy to beef it up on a rebuild. Still solid after 89,000. Tranny is a bit slow on gear changes but I deal with it, I won't make changes till its out of the extended warranty. My tuner is easy to put everything back to stock and most likely they will never know I use one.

With the HO I got the Aisin. A regular diesel gets the 68REF, and I have friends into their 3rd build.

Dodge did a good job making the coil loaded front smooth. Not sayingvi can't feel the road or bumps, but it doesn't bounce me around like my Silverado.

The adaptive brake control is super nice. One thing I havent figured out is while in cruise control in traffic up a hill is maxed at 35, but once there is no traffic the max speed climbs too. Ive tried to find out why, but haven't yet.

Overall I still like the diesel better for towing, not saying the gasser can't do it, but way better control upband down a hill. That counts.

I keep every truck I buy, even if it means up on blocks. Not interested in the 2020 yet. Might wait a few years to buy a new dodge ram. Each person has to make his own choice. I know someday I might have to replace that damn cp4 pump. But if I do I'm going to throw a cp3 in. Ive read where the cost of fixing the damage from a cp4.2 is about $8,000. Versus a change of $3500 for a cp3. But hopefully it fails while under warranty, once I get near the end of the extended. I'll dump that cp4.2

Brent L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi 4x4 crew cab longbed Tradesman trim. Buy lots of them. Many many many of them.

Buy green ones, blue ones, yellow ones, orange ones.

Vinyl seats, cab lights, tow mirrors skip the chrome.

Buy lots of them

Starting to sound like Dr. Seuss. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cash4acres

4lb pompano
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L,660ftLbs=G56 Manual 6 speed
Comparables in gas NONE!

Last edited by a moderator: