Wheel lock key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has anyone had to replace theirs? Cost?
Are they universal for all Rams?
I messed mine up and need to replace it.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

beep119

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I lost mine. Had to get a new one.
Do you have the serial of the key? Would have been in glove compartment with key. I will find the website we’re I ordered it from. You just input information and a week later it was in the mail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
JJP71584

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok thanks I'll check tomorrow for the serial number for the key... How much did it cost to replace it?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Hexxus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just bought one from McGard. Sent them a picture and my card details, I got my key a few days later.

BudsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I know this is an old thread but hopefully someone can help me out....
Took my 2015 Big Horn in last Thursday for recalls(I'm the 2nd owner) and an oil change/tire rotation. Tech calls me back and tells me he needs the wheel lock key cause his master set doesn't have one that fits. He says he didn't find mine in the glove box. I don't remember ever taking it out of the truck. Anyhoo, after going thru the forums I saw that McGard.com is where I could get a replacement....problem is I did not find a McGard card in my truck...
Any suggestions before I go and hammer a socket on them and use a breaker bar?

20190622_161741.jpg

OP
OP
JJP71584

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know this is an old thread but hopefully someone can help me out....
Took my 2015 Big Horn in last Thursday for recalls(I'm the 2nd owner) and an oil change/tire rotation. Tech calls me back and tells me he needs the wheel lock key cause his master set doesn't have one that fits. He says he didn't find mine in the glove box. I don't remember ever taking it out of the truck. Anyhoo, after going thru the forums I saw that McGard.com is where I could get a replacement....problem is I did not find a McGard card in my truck...

View attachment 170947

I would call McGard, give them the details and a picture of your wheel lock and they might be able to help you.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Take a look under the seats, probably most likely the front passenger for the wheel lock key hanging from the underside. The OEM/McGard comes with zip-tie that the key clips onto.
If you do have to replace the wheel locks, order a replacement key and keep it in a save place at home.

Joes1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go get 4 sockets just smaller the outside diameter of the lock/ lug nut. Drive them on with a big hammer. Then put your breaker bar on and remove them.

Then go get some good ones with a new key.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get rid of them completely! They're a real PITA when you get a flat and you're in a hurry to get back on the road not to mention if some thief wants your wheels he's going to get them or mess your truck up in the process. The only way I would consider them from here on out is if I had expensive aftermarket wheels.

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get rid of them completely! They're a real PITA when you get a flat and you're in a hurry to get back on the road not to mention if some thief wants your wheels he's going to get them or mess your truck up in the process. The only way I would consider them from here on out is if I had expensive aftermarket wheels.

Ditto! If I do use them they are only tugged semi tight so that I have a better chance of getting them off. There more of a visual deterrent in my mind.

T.

BudsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I appreciate all of the replies! My "weekend" is Thursday and Friday so in the meantime I'll look for the key under the seat(s), call McGard and see what they say and Thursday morning make the call on whether I'm ordering new keys or finding 4 old sockets, a BFH and a breaker bar and taking matters into my own hands!
Again...I appreciate the responses! This website is freakin awesome!

16Ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is where I store my McGuard wheel lock key at on my Ram.
It's just a pvc end cap with two holes drilled in it. One hole for the mounting bolt , and the other to keep from having a vacuum seal happening when trying to remove the wheel lock key.
The hole is also factory punched in the carpet.
The threaded insert is already factory installed and covered with tar tape to keep the weather out of the cab. It doesn't get in the way of removing the jack, and it doesn't bounce around and is easily found.
20190513_080619.jpg 20190513_080611.jpg

LoneStarLariat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was the second owner of my truck , and did not get the spare tire key. :(

I called McGard and then I emailed them a close up pic of the spare tire lock.
They matched the pattern and I had a key in less than a week!! Was less than $20

The car dealership wanted to cut it off for $150.00+
:flipthebird:

Grasskicker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I stopped at dealership and they ordered the correct key for 22.00

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk