Wheels or CAI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zachohs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can't decide for in the future, which to get first? A CAI, any, or a set of wheels for under $600? Any opinions,

Thanks,
Zach

OP
OP
Z

Zachohs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
also, on my wheels, a little question, I have one wheel, which has over 8 oz of weight on one side and over 5oz on the other. I balanced them with my father and he moved them around a whole lot. Yet, they still said they needed a ton of weight. The wheel was clean at least on the outside.

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
Are you building up to more performance mods or looking for an appearance change? If you want the performance boost and can live with your current wheels, for $600 or there abouts you should be able to get an exhaust, CAI and tuner. All depends on what you are wanting to do and how extravagant you go on the exhaust and CAI. :)

OP
OP
Z

Zachohs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ok, well, I do like to do a little off-roading/mudding, so I take it a CAI, after a little research, would not be the best bet for me?

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Well if you like to go thru sloppy mud a CAI might not be good, might suck up some muddy water, I say wheels

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
Not necessarily true. You can get a CAI that still protects the filter from the elements similar to how the OEM filter and all works. Of course if you are thinking about something like a vararam, you'd want to stay away from water and mud. :)

TheSatinPumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
5.7L
Vararam Industries in regards to the one mentioned by Deviate but there are dozens upon dozens of makes out there. I would just search CAI or related keywords and catch up on some reading.

Last edited:

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
Just do a Google image search for Dodge Ram CAI and you can see lots of what I'm talking about. Air Raid, K&N, make your own, etc. Basically you could even just get PVC and make a pipe to replace the Hemi hat and flexible tube and then put a K&N drop in filter in the OEM airbox. That provides about the same benefit as a full on CAI.

What I'm saying about ones that protect it from water etc are ones that have a barrier around the filter. If you go into something that it too crazy you are going to suck water into your engine. But I would argue that you could do the same thing with the stock filter and air intake.

OP
OP
Z

Zachohs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ok, so what are some really good off road wheels that can be had for under $140 -$150 each? 17", black in color, backspacing greater than 4.5", larger the better, and super durable