when switching to "recirculate" instead of outside air

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Every auto I've owned in the past, has had a slightly different sound to the air conditioning fan when switching from "outside air" to "recirculate". When changing to "recirculate", the fan usually sounds like it's blowing a little harder.

But on my ram, there's no difference at all from one to the other. Are they all like that, or is mine not working?

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine has a slight difference and the sound of the air will also change during the second or two it's changing.

OP
OP
H

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, sounds like mine's not doing what it's supposed to do. Any other way I can check it other than the sound of it?

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If these HVAC units are the same as some of the earlier ones I would advise slowing the fan speed down before changing the mode or recirculate switch position . It makes it easier for the motors to open and close the doors in the housing when its not fighting the force of the air blowing through. It used to be a problem not long ago and a bit of a pain it the butt to fix. I still do it just incase its still an issue , I prefer not to be the one to find out its still an issue

OP
OP
H

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If these HVAC units are the same as some of the earlier ones I would advise slowing the fan speed down before changing the mode or recirculate switch position . It makes it easier for the motors to open and close the doors in the housing when its not fighting the force of the air blowing through. It used to be a problem not long ago and a bit of a pain it the butt to fix. I still do it just incase its still an issue , I prefer not to be the one to find out its still an issue

I never thought of that. It's a good point. I'll give that a try.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Mine always sounds like it's running faster in the recirc mode even though the fan speed setting hasn't changed.

-K

OP
OP
H

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine always sounds like it's running faster in the recirc mode even though the fan speed setting hasn't changed.

-K

Yes, exactly. That's what I'm used to hearing. Like the wind speed is gushing harder. But mine isn't doing that.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
One thing of note is that if it's on defrost it will not switch to recirculate.

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
If it's like many other vehicles, when you switch to recirc, the HVAC will get it's ”intake” air from under the passenger side dash. You may be able to see/hear it in that area if you look. I haven't looked at it on my Ram yet, but my other vehicles are that way.

LoadedExpressRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine too was the same recently but when swapped my platic dash for a leather i noticed this large door like device just behind the upper and lower gloveboxes that seemed to be stuck in the open position. Not only did my ac blow harder when i closed it it blew colder. Not saying this is the problem you are experiencing but might be worth a look.

OP
OP
H

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine too was the same recently but when swapped my platic dash for a leather i noticed this large door like device just behind the upper and lower gloveboxes that seemed to be stuck in the open position. Not only did my ac blow harder when i closed it it blew colder. Not saying this is the problem you are experiencing but might be worth a look.

Thanks for that info. I'll take a look at that. What did you do to un-stuck it? Or, what was it actually stuck on?

LoadedExpressRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for that info. I'll take a look at that. What did you do to un-stuck it? Or, what was it actually stuck on?
Just pulled on the flap and it shut. Not sure if it will open and close now but i know it works better than what it was.

Seth Richards

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 l Hemi
I have noticed the same thing with my AC. I change it to recirc and don’t hear a difference in the air flow. I’ll have to look and see if the flaps are closing properly or not. Too much smoke out in my area right now