When to change o2 Sensors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hylander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so when I google this, answers seem to be 60-90,000 miles or if you notice issues.
Truck has 118,000 miles, No codes, truck runs fine except bad gas mileage compared to others in my area.
Does upstream or down stream have the most effect?
Also what brand to get?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Mopar sensors only for Rams. Others can have you scratching your head.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
so when I google this, answers seem to be 60-90,000 miles or if you notice issues.
Truck has 118,000 miles, No codes, truck runs fine except bad gas mileage compared to others in my area.
Does upstream or down stream have the most effect?
Also what brand to get?
The oxygen sensors that have a direct effect on fuel economy. The upstream oxygen sensors send their data back to the PCM to aid in determining the correct air-fuel ratio for the current operating conditions.

Oxygen sensor have precious metals inside like platinum and palladium and over time these metals wear and erode away. When this happens it takes the sensor longer to heat up and start producing the correct voltage necessary for proper AFR and this in turn can lead to a negative effect on our fuel economy.

The downstream sensors are built using the same precious metals inside but since they are not the first sensor to get hit with the hydrocarbon-rich exhaust coming down the exhaust pipe they will last longer. The downstream oxygen sensors are used primarily to monitor catalyst efficiency but they are also used for the LTFT or Long Term Fuel Trim. If an engine is running rich or lean on the STFT or Short Term Fuel Trim the downstream oxygen sensors will adjust the LTFT to make the necessary fuel corrections to get the AFR back to stoich or whatever AFR is being commanded by the PCM.

So, after all that I'd recommend replacing the upstream oxygen sensors with new Mopar units for the best results.

OP
OP
Hylander

Hylander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks,
Are all four sensors the same, I am getting conflicting info searching for the correct part numbers,
even between two different Dodge OE parts warehouses.
Some say same all the way and others say different numbers for front and rear.
One says correct part number and then another says wrong numbers.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mopar sensors only for Rams. Others can have you scratching your head.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ DITTO ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. The dealership just replaced the upper and lower bank O2 sensors on MY 19 Bighorn. Rather unusual they be bad at 18,000K, but codes were thrown and would not reset on the sensor indicated, they had to replace both on same side for ECU to read and reset. Not hurt my feelings, under warranty.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks,
Are all four sensors the same, I am getting conflicting info searching for the correct part numbers,
even between two different Dodge OE parts warehouses.
Some say same all the way and others say different numbers for front and rear.
One says correct part number and then another says wrong numbers.
On the 2019 5.7L non-etorque, upper O2 sensors are different from the lower bank sensors. I do not know on a 2007, my "guess" would be that they R not the same, but the earliest 5.7L I ever owned was a 2012, so sorry not much help.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're able to get under the truck, check the connectors. If both up and down stream O2 sensor connectors are the same then they are the same. If the connectors are different then you know the answer. Most vehicles will have different sensors up and down

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I remember correctly, the O2 sensors in the 2007 and 2006 5.7L Hemi have the same O2 sensors.

56028994AB - Upstream (1 & 2)
56029049AA - Downstream (3 & 4)

a4dc68fef24a622506073e0b3b712fcc.png