Where is the label?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2013megacab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
My manual says to check the label on the hitch for the ratings. Other than the part number label, there are no markings on the hitch that I can see. Am I overlooking it? 2013 2500 Megacab CTD with tow package. The part number label says it is a Class V hitch, but I understand that there is variation in capacity among hitches. I thought there was a FMVSS requirement that hitches have their capacity clearly labelled, but I can't find anything on this one.

Thanks,

Al

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Chk yer trucks build sheet with yer VIN. RAM website.

"Before you go thinking yer depressed make sure yer not just surrounded by assholes."
~ Ms. Sophia

OP
OP

2013megacab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I have a class V hitch, it's on the label. I want to know what the maximum trailer and tongue weight specs are for weight carrying and weight distributing use.

I have a build sheet and I don't see that on there, it just says Class V. Class V hitches must meet a minimum spec, but may exceed it.

Thanks,

Al

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
My manual says to check the label on the hitch for the ratings. Other than the part number label, there are no markings on the hitch that I can see. Am I overlooking it? 2013 2500 Megacab CTD with tow package. The part number label says it is a Class V hitch, but I understand that there is variation in capacity among hitches. I thought there was a FMVSS requirement that hitches have their capacity clearly labelled, but I can't find anything on this one.

Thanks,

Al

I've never heard of capacity variations with a Class V receiver or any other Class receiver. Class V receivers are rated for 13K pounds gross trailer weight with a maximum tongue weight 1300 pounds.

When a Class V is used with weight distribution, trailer ratings max out at 17K pounds with a maximum tongue weight of 1700 pounds.

The weight ratings that are stamped on the ball and on the ball mount do vary greatly and likely the variation you are referring too.

I just ordered an Adjustable Trailer Hitch Ball Mount yesterday (took advantage of AutoAnything 20% discount and free shipping offer, ends today). This ball mount has 12,500 pound rating and 1,500 pounds tongue weight.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a class V hitch, it's on the label. I want to know what the maximum trailer and tongue weight specs are for weight carrying and weight distributing use.

I have a build sheet and I don't see that on there, it just says Class V. Class V hitches must meet a minimum spec, but may exceed it.

Thanks,

Al

The hitch has a maximum rating that it can be safely used for....no minimum.

It can be used for anything under that rating.

Not sure exactly what you mean by a minimum spec vs the max.

Like was mentioned above, the class V hitch (2 1/2" insert size), can be used up to 17k with the right equipment, but there is nothing that would keep you from using it to tow a 1000 trailer, as it is more than adequate for that.

If you have a 2" insert, you have a class IV hitch., and on the ones I've had in the past, it is either a sticker (that sometimes come off), or the rsatings are engraved in it somewhere.

OP
OP

2013megacab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
When dealing with a piece of equipment, a minimum rating means the equipment must be rated to at least the minimum, but can be rated more.

Here are some quotes that indicate the source of my confusion:

From Wikipedia - A trailer hitch typically bolts to the chassis of the vehicle. In North America there are a few common classes (I, II, III and IV) that are defined by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE). Some manufacturers market Class V hitches, but there is no such standard according to SAE J684.

From Reese's web site -
Class V hitches are weight carrying (WC) and weight distributing (WD) hitches depending on the vehicle and hitch specifications.
Class V hitches used as weight carrying are rated up to 12,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 1200 lbs.
Class V hitches used for weight distributing are rated up to 17,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 1700 lbs.

From Curt's web site re: their Class V Extra Duty -
Weight Carrying Capacity(WC) 16000 LB
Tongue Weight(TW) 2400 LB
Weight Distribution(WD) 17000 LB
Weight Distribution Tongue Weight(WDTW) 2400 LB

My concern is I am looking at a trailer that has a tongue weight of somewhere around 1200#. I will be using a WD hitch. I want to be sure that the hitch on my truck (the Class V OE hitch) will be good for something in excess of 1200#.

I'm pretty sure I'm good, but I'd feel better if I could read somewhere on the hitch or Ram info that the hitch is rated for 1700# tongue weight when used with a WD hitch.

Thanks all,

Al

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When dealing with a piece of equipment, a minimum rating means the equipment must be rated to at least the minimum, but can be rated more.

Here are some quotes that indicate the source of my confusion:

From Wikipedia - A trailer hitch typically bolts to the chassis of the vehicle. In North America there are a few common classes (I, II, III and IV) that are defined by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE). Some manufacturers market Class V hitches, but there is no such standard according to SAE J684.

From Reese's web site -
Class V hitches are weight carrying (WC) and weight distributing (WD) hitches depending on the vehicle and hitch specifications.
Class V hitches used as weight carrying are rated up to 12,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 1200 lbs.
Class V hitches used for weight distributing are rated up to 17,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 1700 lbs.

From Curt's web site re: their Class V Extra Duty -
Weight Carrying Capacity(WC) 16000 LB
Tongue Weight(TW) 2400 LB
Weight Distribution(WD) 17000 LB
Weight Distribution Tongue Weight(WDTW) 2400 LB

My concern is I am looking at a trailer that has a tongue weight of somewhere around 1200#. I will be using a WD hitch. I want to be sure that the hitch on my truck (the Class V OE hitch) will be good for something in excess of 1200#.

I'm pretty sure I'm good, but I'd feel better if I could read somewhere on the hitch or Ram info that the hitch is rated for 1700# tongue weight when used with a WD hitch.

Thanks all,

Al

OK. That IS true (black bolded statement), but if it can handle the max rating, it can for sure handle anything less than the max.

That's why you likely won't find a minimum rating on any sticker or engraved numbers like it seemed you were looking for.

And the red about the 'depending on the vehicle' is cuz you can put a hitch on a vehicle that is rated to handle more then the vehicle itself is rated for, and in that case, the vehicle becomes the limiting factor, not the hitch.

I had a Class V hitch on a lifted Ramcharger (see avatar pic), and the hitch was rated for more than the truck....but I used it for extraction, not towing. I even proved to Reese that it would fit, as they said it didn't. I had to drill fewer holes to mount it on the Ramcharger than would have been done to put it on the 1 ton chevy/ford trucks it was designed for.

I actually still have that hitch, even tho the Ramchargers are long gone.

OP
OP

2013megacab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
OK, I'll try one more time. I'm guess I'm not being clear enough about my question because no one seems to understand it. My bad.....

Let's say there was a standard for the weight bearing towing capacity of a Class V hitch, and it was 12,000#. Then what I was trying to say is that a hitch, to be called a Class V, must be capable of towing, at a minimum, 12,000 pounds. If it could tow 11,500# it could not be called a Class V. But if a manufacturer chose to design their hitch to tow 14,000#, it could still be called a Class V because it exceeds the minimum carrying capacity. The part number label on my hitch says it is a Class V. But there are no ratings on it anywhere.

Since according to Wikipedia there is no SAE standard definition for a Class V hitch, how do I know what its rating is if there is no label on it? Reese says that (their) Class V hitches used in weight distribution service are rated for 1700@ tongue weight. If that is true for the Ram OE hitch, how do I verify it?

What I am trying to find out is, what are the tongue weight and tow capacity for the OE hitch in both the weight bearing and weight distributing case. Does anyone have an OEM hitch, PN 68149775AE that has the capacity stamped on it or on a label?

Thanks again,

Al

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OK...got it.

You don't trust the V rating, and want to see what it can pull.

Personally, if it is sold as a class V, then I'd think you'd have a legal case if it failed under normal conditions.

I know the hitch I mentioned above was rated Class V, and it is a 2" reciever, not 2 1/2" like yours.

From Dodge, the regular hitch 2" is as below, and it is at the rating you want:
Year(s):2002-2016
Model:Ram 1500/2500/3500 excludes the SRT-10
Description:12,000-lb tow rating, 1,200-lb tongue weight rating with weight distributing equipment; otherwise 5,000-lb tow rating, 500-lb tongue weight rating, includes receiver plug, 2.0" opening. Hitch Ball sold separately.
Part#:82213205

Per the Ram Trucks website, the 2500 comes standard with a class V 18000 lb hitch, and from the towing chart on the ram truck website, the tongue weight for the class V is 1800 lbs if you look at note 8 of the below chart

https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/towing_guide/pdf/2015_ram_2500_towing_charts.pdf

or you can remove yours and install one of these....Curt Class 5 Commercial Duty Trailer Hitch #15809....it is rated 2700 tongue, and 20k trailer

Last edited:

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I think I get where you're headed OP- as an example my F150 had a "Class IV" with the capacities clearly labelled on the bottom of the receiver (if memory serves it was 1000lbs TW, 10000lbs GTW with WDH, 500lbs TW, 5000lbs GTW without). Neither my Ram 1500 or my 2500 have such labels. For this reason I apply the SAE guidelines for Class V classification since they are not clearly labeled- although the above link (thanks TRCM!) states what they are actually rated for. So it is on the upper edge of a Class V (anything above 1200lbs/12000lbs and lower than 2000lbs/20000lbs is a Class V)

Here's some info too if you haven't already looked at it

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-hitchclasses.aspx

In short- there is no label. If it's rated as a class V following standards it *should* handle up to 2000lbs tongue weight, although TRCM's link may debunk that a bit.

Last edited:
OP
OP

2013megacab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
OK...got it.

You don't trust the V rating, and want to see what it can pull.

Personally, if it is sold as a class V, then I'd think you'd have a legal case if it failed under normal conditions.

I know the hitch I mentioned above was rated Class V, and it is a 2" reciever, not 2 1/2" like yours.

From Dodge, the regular hitch 2" is as below, and it is at the rating you want:
Year(s):2002-2016
Model:Ram 1500/2500/3500 excludes the SRT-10
Description:12,000-lb tow rating, 1,200-lb tongue weight rating with weight distributing equipment; otherwise 5,000-lb tow rating, 500-lb tongue weight rating, includes receiver plug, 2.0" opening. Hitch Ball sold separately.
Part#:82213205

Per the Ram Trucks website, the 2500 comes standard with a class V 18000 lb hitch, and from the towing chart on the ram truck website, the tongue weight for the class V is 1800 lbs if you look at note 8 of the below chart

https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/towing_guide/pdf/2015_ram_2500_towing_charts.pdf

or you can remove yours and install one of these....Curt Class 5 Commercial Duty Trailer Hitch #15809....it is rated 2700 tongue, and 20k trailer

It's not that I don't trust the "Class V Rating" I just can't find an unambiguous definition of what that is. I'm not worried about towing capacity, but tongue weight. I'm probably going to be somewhere between 1200# and 1300# and I'll be using a WD hitch so by all the various "ratings" I've seen I should be OK.

The RAM towing table is for 2015 trucks; mine is a 2013 and the table like that I found for the 2013s does not have that note.

Thanks to everyone.

Al

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good Luck....I thought you had a new truck.......but in the 2013 chart, the megacab #s for payload, which is where tongue weight comes from, are lower than the regular cab configurations.