Which of these should I be using first?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoeRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not really that knowledgeable about detailing so was hoping someone could shed some light on this for me. I have polish, wax, and sealant for my vehicle but I'm not sure what order in supposed to do them in our if I'm even supposed to use all of them together. Any insight into the order they should be used in?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
wash--2 bucket method
clay bar--use plenty of clay bar lube
polish(if necessary)
Sealant
Wax

Clay bar will remove contaminants from truck surface
Polish will "correct" any small scratches in the paint finish and give it the initial gloss
Sealant will protect the finish for about 6 months depending on the weather, where you park and number of times you wash the truck. Will also give a better gloss than the polish
Wax will add additional protection and will give the paint more depth and gloss. Most sealants can be "topped" with wax.
Spray wax or Spray Detailer can be used to enhance the look of your truck and add a little more protection. This can be used after every wash.
Jay

PS Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy your time here. Lots of good information to be had.

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ yup, sealant always goes before a wax, and you can just do away with the wax completely with the use of a good sealant.

Silver Goose

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Larame Longhorn
Engine
Cummings 6.7 Diesel
Adams Polish is a vendor on this site they have several videos highlighting their product line, could answer several questions.

Good Luck

Larry

bigdodge

Reaction score
Thejunkman on YouTube does a good job of explaining a lot of things u need to know

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Polish first to correct paint, then sealant, as sealant needs to go onto and bond to bare paint. Then wax over top of the sealant.

AdamsPolishes

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A shiny one
Not really that knowledgeable about detailing so was hoping someone could shed some light on this for me. I have polish, wax, and sealant for my vehicle but I'm not sure what order in supposed to do them in our if I'm even supposed to use all of them together. Any insight into the order they should be used in?

Like the others have said, Clay, Polish then protect with wax, sealant or Ceramic coating.
Check out the videos.
https://adamspolishes.com/video

OP
OP
JoeRam14

JoeRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for all the replies. I do have another question. When I do the sealant is there a certain amount of wait time before I can wax?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I usually wait overnight.
Jay

OP
OP
JoeRam14

JoeRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's kind of what I thought but wasn't sure, I've never used a sealant before. Any tips for applying the sealant?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
With most products today it seems the least you use the better your results are. If you put to much product on you can end up with streaks and in some cases it's a real ***** to get the stuff off. I usually put what I think is a reasonable amount on the applicator and then reduce it by about half. I use Wolfgang 3.0 sealant and you can apply it to the whole truck and let it sit for about a half hour and then use a microfiber towel to take it off. Some products say to only do a panel at a time so you have to read the instructions pretty well.
Jay

OP
OP
JoeRam14

JoeRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is what I got, is it any good?6f71d5291ac6fbd4b3f54371dc9a35ef.jpg

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Chemical guys makes pretty good products along with Adam's who is one of the sponsors of the forum. I usually get my supplies from "autopia" which is a worldwide detailer site that also sells numerous products. They have lots of really good information on the site also.
Jay

OP
OP
JoeRam14

JoeRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks I'll have to check that site out. Now I just need to wait for some decent weather to get some of this stuff done.

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've used both Wolfgang and Chemical Guys sealants and I have to say I'm more impressed with Wolfgang. Water would bead literally for months - even in the spring after a harsh winter. I usually sealed it in November and May at a minimum and sometimes an additional one over the summer. My recently traded 2012 still had an impressive black clear coat finish. It was 7 years old, never-garaged, and endured Northeast winters.

OP
OP
JoeRam14

JoeRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've used both Wolfgang and Chemical Guys sealants and I have to say I'm more impressed with Wolfgang. Water would bead literally for months - even in the spring after a harsh winter. I usually sealed it in November and May at a minimum and sometimes an additional one over the summer. My recently traded 2012 still had an impressive black clear coat finish. It was 7 years old, never-garaged, and endured Northeast winters.

Wow I didn't realize that the seal lasts that long. I hope the stuff I have lasts even close to that long.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A good sealant should last and provide protection for about 6 months. A good wax will protect and last for about 3-4 weeks. The exception would be Collinite 845 Insulator Wax, which in addition to containing pure wax, contains synthetic properties. Collinite will last almost as long as a sealant.
Jay

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Look at Duragloss 105, lasts closer to a year for me on a daily driver. I don't use any Chemical Guys products at all.

OP
OP
JoeRam14

JoeRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Look at Duragloss 105, lasts closer to a year for me on a daily driver. I don't use any Chemical Guys products at all.

I checked in Amazon, is that stuff a high quality polish? I've never come across that brand before.

chum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
Used opti-plex on my audi and the truck, over 4 years on the audi still shines. 2 years on the truck and its looking good.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk