Which tires? Narrowed it done to 3, suggestions/experiences wanted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RJL1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Gonna start my research into getting some bigger tires for my rig now that it's lifted. Looking at 35x12.50 R20. Keeping my stock rims. Think they're 20x9's.

The 3 I'm thinking about are:

1. BFG KO's. I've run the older version of this tire on several of my older rigs. Always liked them and they wore great and lasted long. I think they may have OWL's too, which to me is a bonus.

2. Cooper ST Max-Ran Cooper SST's on my Power Wagon, seemed like a good tire, didn't keep the truck long enough to see how they wore/lasted.

3. Firestone destination XT- I know absolutely nothing about this tire but the tread pattern looks alot like the BFG's and they have OWL's.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated in reference to size recommendations, tire brand. If you have experience with these tires, particularly #3 that would be great.

Last edited:

VelocityC6Z

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Of the three you listed, the KO2's are the best in my experience. Personally the falken wildpeak at3w's I like more than the KO2's though, and they run truer to size.

The KO2's run small and heavier than the weights listed on their site, at least the 33" tire I had and weighed.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I have 3 4x4’s sitting in the garage tonight and 2 of them have KO2 on them. I like them because there’s nothing that gives a better balance or smoother highway ride, and they take a beating off-road.

The Jeep has the Firestones on it. I’ve got zero complaints with those, I’ve run them on a couple of vehicles. They are basically Bridgestones, which is a top tier tire maker. Bridgestone bought FS after FS screwed the pooch decades ago over the Explorer mess.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had ST maxx's in 315/70-17 and Ko2 in 35's and both good tires but neither as good as the Falken at3w or the Toyo ATIII or Toyo RT.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Only issue I had with my last set of 35-12.50-20 KO2's were they are one of the shorter 35 out there and they are heavy and E rated . I sold them and bought 275-65-20 Nitto terra grapplers which were less than a half inch shorter an inch narrower and 20 lbs per tire lighter

OP
OP
RJL1

RJL1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hmmm. That’s two for the Falkin wild peaks.
Thanks for the feedback.
Keep it coming.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Have you considered or checked the Nitto Ridge Grapplers? I have had mine now for 15k miles and man they still run smooth and have been wearing evenly, no extra noise, vibrations ... they feel just like when I first got them ...

I was looking for a tire that was good in the rain, I had a bad accident in the rain and wanted a tire that was going to have good grip when it rained ... these tires I am telling you are very good in the rain ....

Offroad I have no experience with them but those who have like them .... they are no rock crawling tires but are capable enough for offroad use from what I have read and been told ...

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have KO2s for the 2nd time in my RAM. First set was 37x12.5x17 D rated, 2nd set is 315/70/17 C rated (Ford Raptor specs). I have no complaints, I also Ran the Falken AT3w, heavy and only 2 ply sidewalls. Sold them exactly because of that. Their pros, they are quiet and long lasting if you get them in LT, ran them side by side with another truck I had but in P and those were wearing down a lot faster so I ditched them quickly. The LT size was a lot better in that department. But AT3w is not a tire I’ll run again. Whenever I’m in doubt I keep coming back to KO2’s. The ones I’m running currently are my 5th set of KO2’s combined.

Next ones I’m going to try will be the new MT Baja Boss AT’s. Saw them today at my local 4WP and they’re dope. Super aggressive AT tires and I mean that. I thought they were MT tires with lots of sipping. think I’ll be getting them for my Jeep.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I have KO2s for the 2nd time in my RAM. First set was 37x12.5x17 D rated, 2nd set is 315/70/17 C rated (Ford Raptor specs). I have no complaints, I also Ran the Falken AT3w, heavy and only 2 ply sidewalls. Sold them exactly because of that. Their pros, they are quiet and long lasting if you get them in LT, ran them side by side with another truck I had but in P and those were wearing down a lot faster so I ditched them quickly. The LT size was a lot better in that department. But AT3w is not a tire I’ll run again. Whenever I’m in doubt I keep coming back to KO2’s. The ones I’m running currently are my 5th set of KO2’s combined.

Next ones I’m going to try will be the new MT Baja Boss AT’s. Saw them today at my local 4WP and they’re dope. Super aggressive AT tires and I mean that. I thought they were MT tires with lots of sipping. think I’ll be getting them for my Jeep.

I am not going to lie, the MT BBAT's are a very nice looking tire ... they are just a bit short of a true 37 and a 12.5 wide tire though and look too thin for my taste ... I would probably have to run the 37x14.50R20 to get the look I like on my truck lol ....