Which Walmart air filter for 2013 Hemi ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2013 Ram 1500 Tradesman Club cab.5.7 Hemi Engine 4wheel
I am going to change the air filter because I don’t know when of if the air filter has been changed.

I got the truck from my Dad about a month before he died of Stage 4 cancer on 7/8/2018.

The truck had only 13,000 miles on it when I got it,and has 49,900 on it now.

Any specific brand to buy from Walmart or local parts stores ?

Driven on local paved roads or the interstate with little to none off road use.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Sorry to hear about your father, even if it was almost six years ago. I lost my dad in 2003 and it still hurts.

Honestly, any brand paper filter will be fine. Just stay away from the oiled drop in filters like K&N.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry to hear about your father, even if it was almost six years ago. I lost my dad in 2003 and it still hurts.

Honestly, any brand paper filter will be fine. Just stay away from the oiled drop in filters like K&N.
What's wrong with the K&N filters?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
What's wrong with the K&N filters?
Their filters have been shown to allow more particles to pass through. And they can cause problems on vehicles equipped with a MAF sensor, which can become coated with oil if you aren't careful how much you oil the filter.

OP
OP
B

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So either a Fram or a Wix it will be.
Any thing else I need to change while I am changing the air filter ?

Speaking of Dad it was Rough watching him go down,He was born in 1935 and always had forearms like Popeye and Biceps as big as halfway up my thighs.

Time he died his forearms were no bigger that my wrist and his Biceps were only slightly bigger than that.

No good doctors Kept pushing him to continue to take Chemo when they knew things were so far along that it was not going to help.

They just wanted to get that Insurance check to cover the $25,000 chemo bill twice a month.

He Worked hard all his life and lived a pretty good life.

I know that we all have our time and a time to die but I think that dying from Cancer is a particulary rough way to go.

Back to the Ram air filter ,thanks for the advice Guys

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
At 50k, not sure if you’ve ever done the drivetrain fluids; diffs, trans, t case etc double check the maintenance schedule I’m sure someone will chime in for the 6spd trans I dunno.

Cabin air filter if you have one, or you can add it if you want. fram cf10729. If you don’t have it you have to buy the door lid and cut open the space… kinda pita and not entirely necessary.

OP
OP
B

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
50,000 too soon for a PCV valve ?

OP
OP
B

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
At 50k, not sure if you’ve ever done the drivetrain fluids; diffs, trans, t case etc double check the maintenance schedule I’m sure someone will chime in for the 6spd trans I dunno.

Cabin air filter if you have one, or you can add it if you want. fram cf10729. If you don’t have it you have to buy the door lid and cut open the space… kinda pita and not entirely necessary.
I dont know if Dad did them and I dont have any type of Maintenance schedule other than oil changes.
The Fram air filter is dirty and needs to be changed though.

Octane

Reaction score

I had my 2013 in dealer for service.They installed the cabin airfilter kit.Such a bad hackjob,the door on it will barely stay on.Basically needs taped.I run it as is though.And I do 6sp trans filter changes every 60k.Depending on how I drive it,last change was at 100k,and all looked ok.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Imo,if you don't overoil them they are fine.I've never had maf sensor issues with them.But I do now use an Aem dry filter.
I've had a K&N filter in every vehicle I've ever owned and I never had a problem either. I was just curious to hear their reasons for it being "not good" lol. I also use rain-x washer fluid in everything but people say that's no good too lol

Octane

Reaction score
I've had a K&N filter in every vehicle I've ever owned and I never had a problem either. I was just curious to hear their reasons for it being "not good" lol. I also use rain-x washer fluid in everything but people say that's no good too lol
Some say the filter oil gets on the mass airflow sensors.Maybe it can if you over oil the crap out of the filter.I've never experienced it tho.I went dry filter simply for more convenience.I ran K&N for at least close to a million miles over the years.One truck actually had over 300k,and with no issue.

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Check one of the wholesale Mopar sites for filter prices. Here in Canada, I can buy OEM motor and cabin filters for less than the cost of Fram or Purolator.

As to K&N, they definitely let more fine dust through. Have seen it numerous times. Pull out the filter and you will find fine dust, AFTER, the filter in heavy dust off road use. The only way to flow more air through the exact same size filter is to reduce restriction of the air flow and the only way to do that is with less filtration.

Octane

Reaction score
An oiled k&n filter actually filters better once it catches some amount of dirt in the gauze.Also they need a very light refreshing of oil after so many thousands of miles,to maintain the proper performance.Hence why I went to dry type filters.Didn't want to continue the k&n maintenance thing.The insides of my intake piping was always very clean using k&n tho.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
An oiled k&n filter actually filters better once it catches some amount of dirt in the gauze.Also they need a very light refreshing of oil after so many thousands of miles,to maintain the proper performance.Hence why I went to dry type filters.Didn't want to continue the k&n maintenance thing.The insides of my intake piping was always very clean using k&n tho.
Think about what you just said here. You have a filter that needs dirt and extra oil to filter well, as in something needs to plug up the big ass holes in the filter element. Yep, that is exactly what I want in my off road vehicles.:Big Laugh:

Octane

Reaction score
Think about what you just said here. You have a filter that needs dirt and extra oil to filter well, as in something needs to plug up the big ass holes in the filter element. Yep, that is exactly what I want in my off road vehicles.:Big Laugh:
Yeah,what K&n said was that it filtered great after cleaning.And when a little dirt got onto the filter,that it actually would filter even better.No worse.