Why did you buy your truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schultzestrength

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I bought my first Ram 3 weeks ago and joined the forum shortly after. I've been reading a lot of posts and I am just curious as to why you bought your truck.

I will start. I have always owned a truck since I was 16 years old. I have only had single cab chevrolets in the past. This is my first Ram and I absolutely love it. I bought a 2018 Express crew cab. The crew cab is essential because I now have a family of 4. Being that I am 6'5" 320lbs, a big truck is much more comfortable for me and my family. Being a DIY homeowner, having a truck is always useful. My truck will always be used for traditional truck things as well as being the family vehicle.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Been driving a truck since 79. Started driving trucks back then because they were cheaper than cars. Bought my first ram in 2003 for the 5.9 Cummins. Also have had wranglers to go along with my truck.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I too have always had trucks, albeit Fords.I work out of them so a truck is necessary. My 2006 with 220k was getting tired, big sale at Dodge/Ram dealer so here I sit in a 17 Bighorn. I ABSOLUTELY love it, it's hard not to constantly mod it where my F150 just got speakers.

Lol

RaftingDave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My wife and I do whitewater rafting, plus we bought a pop-up camper last summer. I had a truck - '07 Ram 1500 TRX - that was aging a bit, and we decided that we should use its trade-in value while we still could and get into something new while I was still working. I turned 60 in April and I really don't want car payments in my mid-late 60's. So, it was time to jump.

I've been driving trucks since '99 - my '97 Dakota was first - and before that, was pretty much an SUV guy. I still have my first wife's '94 Grand Cherokee 5-speed, drive it seldom. It's lost a lot of its paint, but it's mechanically sound and runs fine.

I'm not sure I could ever get back into owning a car - I always feel weird and cramped whenever I'm in one these days. We go to England and rent cars there - apart from the narrow roads and wheel on the right and drive on the left, just getting used to being in a car is weird for me. Proportion, sightlines, ride height....

Oddly, I do see Rams over there once in a while. Would hate to have their gas bill. :)

dav8388

Reaction score
Ram Year
In limbo between trucks
Engine
3.6 pentastar
I have always had 20 year old cars and wanted something brand new for once. I also wanted something that would fit my needs long term since I'm trying to buy a house within the next couple years, so I knew I wanted a truck. I drove an F150, and a Silverado but I mainly chose the Ram for the price. If the Silverado was cheeper I might have gone that route but would have gotten a 5.3 cause the 4.3 would not cut it, which would have cost more not only initially but long term due to fuel cost.

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Needed something a little more utilitarian than an 08 Charger modded to the gills (392 stroker, upgraded trans, full coilover and adjustable suspension, limited slip upgraded 3.55 rearend, repaint, wheels and tires . . . could have bought another Charger for the amount dumped into it).

That and I was moving from WA to SC (military PCS move) and needed a way to haul some stuff.

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I have always wanted a truck (drive a Ford Courier in HS that my dad had) and after 8 years of borrowing the neighbors for Home Depot runs (he is retired and sort of adopted me and we go together) and 220K miles on my CRV I was finally able at 50 to do it. I was all set on a Tacoma but at 6'2" 220 I found that was a no go so I looked around and found the 15 Express at a local dealer for a price I couldn't pass up. I had NO intention of getting a RAM I knew nothing about them but the more I did research on them the more I llked what I learned. I love customiing stuff and am having a great time moddign the heck out of it. I am amazed at all the cool stuff you can add for under $100 each. I really enjoy it and the wife has even come around to really enjoy it as well!!

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
I've driven a truck since I was 15 years old. No way I could drive something as small as a car lol. I needed something bigger to haul bigger toys. So in comes the Ram 1500 plus I wanted a v8. Came from a Tacoma that I drove to 120k miles.

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Went from driving a car (blew that 2x motor) to driving my dads Silverado while I fixed that to eventually buying a charger rt. Switched careers and started working out of state most of the year driving my Charger... after prolly a year and several miles that got old (roads aren’t really friendly or enjoyable on a lowered car) and just got tired of having to load and unload my stuff in a car and wanted more space. I seen this coming since most of the guys I work with drive trucks and told me time after time driving that cars doing this kind of work is going to get old. Eventually I caved in and decided to go ahead and get myself a truck and of course the Ram was my first choice and decommissioning my Charger to weekend or whenever I’m in town car.

It’s so much easier to ride up high and not have to worry about every little thing in the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Simply because I got tired of my Camaro SS and wanted a 2nd truck. My old truck squeaks and rattles more than I cared about listening too. So I decided I wanted another Ram.

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 Off Road. 6.4L. USMC (ret)

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
My first car growing up was a 1979 Ford LTD. After that, when I went to college, a 1995 Dakota. Been in a truck (and a Dodge/Ram product) ever since.

I stay in them because of their utility, the interior space, and I like the size. If there is an accident, its nice to have a little more mass, so your car doesn't crumple around you like a tin can. I do a lot of DIY home projects, so its nice to be able to haul things home from the hardware store or lumber yard.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Traded in my old camper for a new one that was too much for my Dakota to handle, hence the Ram. Got the Dakota to haul both my boys up and down the east coast for hockey, got tired of the hockey bag smell in the conversion van

BruceMorgan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had various trucks for the last 22 years. Usually a mid-size truck, for hauling homeowner stuff, my bicycle around in the bed, and for my kids as a daily driver before they went off to college.

My new Ram was purchased specifically to tow a small travel trailer we bought in February. It proved just a bit too big to handle for my previous truck, a Frontier. I also drive it when the weather is too poor to drive my Corvette convertible which is my daily driver.

BlkZrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Bought my first truck, a new, 1976 Chevy 1/2 ton. Been down hill ever since..

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

never-enough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After driving a truck for 14 years, I’d been without one since 2012.

Even though my daily driver was a spacious fun to drive car (dodge magnum wagon w/5.7 hemi and tons of mods) it still didn’t have the cargo hauling capability of a truck.

I’d known a truck would be my next purchase and I wasn’t crazy about the 2019 redesign for the Rams, so since my fun car (2014 challenger w/tons of upgrades) was paid for I started looking around at what kinda deal I could find on the leftover 17/18s sitting on lots.

An 11thousand dollar discount was all it took for me to pull the trigger!

I’m loving the truck, but I haven’t been able to let go of any of the cars.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First vehicle ‘83 F100 300ci Straight6 with a 3 on the tree! I was 16 yrs old... lots of Jeeps and cars in between to my 2nd truck, current Ram. I got tired of jamming Lowes purchases in the trunk/hatch. 400lbs of seed and fertilizer in the back of my beloved 3rd Gen Acura TL(well modded)was un-manly.... Besides, Im 6’4 270lbs, I was tired of cramming my big ass into cars. Family of 4 in a Crew Cab Ram is an amazing amount of interior room. Love it. V8 effortless power.

Immortaldaul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I got my first and truck in July of 2015 its a 2002 dodge ram 1500 quad cab. It's treated me well. My reasoning was I'm a big guy 300+ and the charger I wanted was gonna cost more than I could comfortably afford. My dad owned a second generation ram and loved it as a little boy so ram was the only brand I considered.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk