Why did you buy your truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I've had other trucks before (it's been well over a decade since my last one, though.)

So why did I just buy a truck? I bought one recently because I actually need one.

In 2016, my wife and I moved onto a small bit of acreage here in Oregon, about 50 miles outside of Portland.

From then until now, I'd been using an old minivan with the seats taken out of the back to haul stuff (lumber, drywall, fenceposts, small livestock, supplies, etc.) Why a minivan? Well, when we lived in-town and the kids moved out, I got a new car for the missus (it was her turn at the time), so I inherited the minivan.

I can tell you right now that hauling things in a 2002 Chrysler T&C minivan, even w/o the seats, is a giant pain in the butt, especially since you could only pack so much into one, even as big as that one was. I can also tell you that driving ice-slicked mountain roads in a minivan (even with chains) is an even bigger pain in the butt. Hauling gasoline cans isn't exactly safe in one either, and I'll be damned if I'm going to drag trash to the dump again in an enclosed space whose air I have to breathe while driving. The roads around here (that aren't state/federal highways) are murder on car suspensions, and all the logging roads in my area were out of the question.

Now? Now I can haul anything I want, drive in crap weather without overly worrying about it, go hunting without having to beg on a friend to ride in his truck or jeep, explore the trails, and we're even looking forward to getting a small camping trailer to drag around once in awhile.

(PS: My missus is 6' 2" tall, so not only does she appreciate the room, but she thinks it's damned sexy, which is more than a good enough reason all by itself.)

Last edited:

Jstmahoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had an 03 quad cab. I’ve always had a truck, or growing up grandparents or other family members had a truck. They come in handy for picking up large items or messy ones you don’t want in your car. I had the 03 for 14 years and now having a family of 4 the quad cab and our other 2 cars weren’t cutting it as far as car seat space and my wife and I being comfortable in the front seat. I wasn’t planning on buying a new. Truck, as my 03 only had 157k on it. I went to just look at the Rams and got talked into test driving one. About a month later I was back to purchase lol. So I wanted to get what I could out of my old truck before the value dropped any more. Having the crew cab has plenty of room for the 4 of us, and with a tonneau cover, I can bring pretty much whatever we need when we go on trips, or even a run to Costco. And if I need to go pick up a refrigerator or make a dump run I can do that too! Trucks these days are very versatile. Just don’t get the best gas mileage lol. But I’ve herd guys on here saying they have more room in there Ram crew cabs than their Durangos.

4eba17bbe8cb7dcf121cd552ab37ac92.jpg
2017 RAM 1500 Laramie 4X4 Crew
from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Gwerner74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I was pretty much forced into it last August after we went on our first camping trip towing a trailer. I thought my old F-150 would be up to the task but it was a white knuckle journey, the Ford was just barely able to get the job done. Right after we got home I traded my 2011 Mustang GT in on the Ram 2500. Turned out to be the best decision I've ever made about a vehicle, I absolutely love my truck.

Michael Deery

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L
Just love the truck for roominess, utility, ride, site lines and the feeling of safety. I tow a small boat a couple of times a year, haul lots of materials from the home improvement center for projects at the house, haul stuff back and forth to the vacation house, pick treasurers from the trash, pick up my own furniture and appliances, etc. One last note... I traded my mini cooper for the RAM and was rear ended by a driver doing 40mph three weeks after buying the truck. My son and I walked away with no injuries. The police officer said that we were lucky that we were driving such a large vehicle or the outcome could have been less prosperous for us (obviously). So, I love the truck, use it for a host of different projects and enjoy it ride, all while feeling safe.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Spent a year looking for a black one with 6" lift, rims & tires priced at stock value. Didn't want to pay to put another lift on a truck. Found it, bought it so I could dump that 6k lift money into other mods. +, I needed it for all kinds of fun in the sun and under the moon. Does just about everything I need except fly in the sky!!!

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Pickups owned. 54 chevy, 54 ford, 72,73,74,75,79.82,85 Fords. 96,99 GMC's. 04,09,2014 Rams. Short of being a farmer or rancher I have used these trucks for everything from hauling rock to towing our rv's. I must say that I never had a bad apple in the bunch but I am stuck on Ram trucks now.

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Cuz I knew with a lift, tires, wheels, and a few other mods, I could turn it into a ride that would make me smile every time I drove it ...e147c7ae9ef85b8eecf7ac679cfe4fcc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It’s in my DNA.
73 Datsun,
74 Mazda Rotary p/u,
79 Scout ll 4x4 (hey, the roof came off)
86 Ford Ranger 4x4
92 Dodge Dakota club cab,
2002 Dodge Ram Quad cab,
2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab,
2015 Ram 1500 Sport,
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab

Clever

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
65A978AC-DBA0-460F-8A45-9C55542C4C7A.jpeg Well around 2005 - 2006 my friend owned two Dodge 1500’s a lifted 2004 and a new 2006. The 2004 was at his dad’s at another city and he wanted it brought back home. So we went on a road trip and I got to drive the 2004 and fell in love with it. However, I didn’t get to buy a truck until much later. In 2014 my brother in law bought a Sport, the year after my father in law bought an express and in 2016 I picked up an SLT. I upgraded to a Laramie in March and my father in law traded for a new express, my brother in law still loves his sport. So I guess we’re just a Ram kinda fam.

Last edited:

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Like a lot of you, I've pretty much always had a truck. Started with a 72' Mazda, then 80' Datsun, 90' GMC, 2000 RAM, 2010 Titan 2003 Tacoma, and now the 14' RAM. Trucks sit higher, have a lot of a utility factor, hold as many passengers as many SUV's, and have tons of mod options. I just can't understand why anyone wouldn't have at least one truck in the family. We use and need it all the time.

My latest rig's story....Had a 2010 Titan that I loved. Did everything I needed, drove great and had all options, but the company I worked for was shutting down and liquidating everything so I got a 14 2500 for so cheap it would have been financially ignorant not to pick it up. Initially I was gonna flip it, but turns out I really like it, so I sold the older Titan for more than i bought the Ram for and now have a newer, higher tow rated, more valuable truck that should get me another few years...

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
This is only the 2nd truck I have owned. Dad, brother, friends all owned trucks but I never felt a need for one until a few years back. Started camping, river trips etc and my vehicle at that time was excellent for a cargo hauler but I couldn't haul REAL loads in a Scion xB. I sure did love that toaster on wheels though. Headed to families house so I could do the weekend visitation with my son before he was placed in my home so I could adopt him and a used Silverado caught my eye. It was an extended cab V6 work truck and I loved it! Those vinyl seats smelled like a school bus and I was hooked. Brought home my son and my 1st truck the same month.

Couple years back I started a company and the Silverado wasn't as economical and comfortable as I needed. My son was blended in, I had him and his friends to haul and the 100k warranty was about up so I picked up a CPO Kia Sorento. Excellent SUV but I never stopped missing having a truck. I think once you have one and use it... you can't go back. I picked up a trailer to haul stuff but it wasn't the same. There's just so much more capability with a truck and independence. Move the camper - SURE. Haul the boat out - SURE. Sale on mulch at Lowes - throw it in.

Had been slobberin on truck windows again at the end of last year and thought I was set on a Sierra but MY GOD they think those trucks are special. Used, they're still outrageous expensive. The F150 just seemed fragile and weak in appearance. Wasn't for me. We got a V6 quad cam RAM at work and I drove it and was impressed but it was a work truck and I'm a cheap ass but I wanted more than base model stuff. Checked out a couple used CPO Ram's in my town and loved them but they were priced high and like the Sierra, I couldn't justify that price.

THEN IT HAPPENED lol. On my way to see family and Landers is a huge dealership south of Little Rock and they had a batch of CPO off lease RAM's. There she was sitting there all bright and pretty. Liked all the options of the Big Horn. I drove the one I purchased first and thought the V6 was great. The minute my fat ass hit the seat, I was home again. Of course the HEMI was nice, but again, it was 3k more and not worth it to me. I love Big Momma and she's been in the driveway since that day.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its bigger than a car and a lot safer IMHO in a collision with deer, hogs and other vehicles. You're also sitting up higher and can see a lot better. I tried going back to a car and couldn't deal with my ass dragging the ground. I don't haul much either but when I do at least I'll have a truck to do it with.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
With a few exceptions I've always had a pickup as my DD or a spare. Started when i was 16 with a 1988 Ford ranger GT and went from there. Like clockwork, the times in my life I've not had a pickup I've missed it. Its great for picking big stuff up and tows my TH great. I love my pickups that's for sure! Andbesides...."There's just somethin women like about a pickup man" hahahaha....

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck comes as result of months spent searching for a truck for my wife. Her one demand was that it be a 4-door model, which are very hard to find in good condition for a low price. I showed her this one and she turned it down (not 4-door) but the more I looked at it the more I liked it.

For me the truck is the correct color, I only drive red vehicles... Hemi powered and with every mod I'd put on it myself already installed... low mileage and in pretty good shape for a 2012 model, plus the dealer gave me a fair price on trading my Mustang. Overall I felt I'd be a fool not to get it.

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a 96 z71 I was paying for when I was 16 in 97, ext cab, stepside, leather, but it was a POS, traded it for an 01 mustang gt auto, traded that for a dark shadow gray gt 5 sp, loved that car, still regret trading it for an 06 mustang, traded that for an 05 dakota in 07, loved that dakota, bought an 08 charger rt in 10, loved the hemi, but it was my weekend car, traded that on a 12 rcsb hemi express, loved it, but gas for my job and lower wages meant I had to trade it on a 13 cruze. Still got the cruze, but I bought a CPO 16 rcsb hem express in may of 16 with 1200 miles on it. For me the dakota and 2 rams felt different, only way I can say it is it felt like home.

jbowen52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I traded in a Cadillac SRX AWD. Was looking at a Durango, but after having transfer case issues with SUVs, I found '14 Ram Bighorn V6 4WD crew cab offered better mileage and much more room. We haven't been disappointed. Performance with the V6 is great and mileage in the mid-20s on a trip, low 20s around our rural area. 4 years later, no problems, just oil changes. Comfortable, quiet and gets better mileage towing our small camper than the Cadillac. Amazing!!

leroys73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The short answer is because they sell them.

Been wanting a new man's truck for many years. First new vehicle since 1975 a Chev LUV, crap. Ram was my only choice since my father in law was a MoPar retiree and could get us below dealer cost. Plus I have had good luck with MoPar vehicles since 1995. I did not want a Chevy although I used to be a big fan of them. Ford would have been my second choice if Chrysler would have stopped making them. Glad Fiat came to their rescue.

KTG1959

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Always had pickups, been planning on buying a new truck for 5 years, not to use as a truck, but rather a Luxury vehicle. We researched, looked at and test drove,Nissan Titan, GMC Denali, Ford F-150 and the 2019 Ram Laramie. In my opinion, my truck rides, drives and has more interior room than the others.