Why I Love my Ram but miss my Silverado...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
not sure we are talking about the same thing. i have 321 gears....never again. going by what you wrote, sounds like you are are saying it shifts easily from 1 to 2 to 3 etc with very little throttle. and that you wish it would hold 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc longer before shifting. if so...thats exactly what im saying. it shifts to the next gear as soon as possible. so its always low rpm. want to excellerate...you lug the motor a bit to get rpms up to where it gets into power band. does this constantly. sute its not bad if you stomp the gas every time....i dont drive like that. i was going through town the other day and had to slow a bit for car turning ahead. slowed down to around 20. the truck stayed in 5th gear. engine lugged as i slowly crept up in speed. no reason for this. its dumb and unnecessary in a 400hp v8 engine. lastly...why would it be a good idea for the trans to down shift from 2nd into first gear at 15mph? seems a little fast for that. does it everytime i come to the stop sign by my house in the morning. i try my best to keep it in 2nd but not always successful.

No I am saying it will downshift too quickly like for 8 to 7, etc. I wish it would hold 8 and lug the motor a bit more instead of downshifting into 7th (etc.).

slag009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My boss has a 2018 Sierra and the 8 speed trans is already slipping and slamming into gear. He is hoping they replace with the 10 speed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
No I am saying it will downshift too quickly like for 8 to 7, etc. I wish it would hold 8 and lug the motor a bit more instead of downshifting into 7th (etc.).

gotcha. have you run it in tow haul? it does that in th. thats why i enjoy manually shifting it. can have.it down shift when i want it to and tach it up where i want it.

jimWar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I purchased my Dodge Ram, I couldn't have been more happy and excited. I had always wanted to own a Ram (HEMI), but for some reason I had fallen into the Chevy market.

I purchased a 2018 Ram, was in heaven, and enjoyed everything about this truck. It was powerful, smooth shifting and classy. I couldn't have been happier. However, you know that old saying, “All things must come to an end”.

Let me start in factual order of what's been happening. This is all facts, not conjecture, just what's happened to this guy who so loved this truck.

Fuel Tank: For some reason the check ball keeps stopping by popping the fuel pump handle when I'm trying to fill it up. It’s frustrating that I have to stand there and constantly restart the pump to add gas. This was supposed to have fixed but it hasn't stopped. Maybe this is a good thing since gas is creeping up it will keep me focused on my MPG’s. But to set the handle and let it go does not happen. I have to have a hand on it constantly. This was supposed to have been fixed with my transmission but is still acts funny.

Transmission: On January 17 of 2019 as I was driving to work, I thought I was rear-ended. It was crazy, like I did a hitch kick bad. It was dark, so It was scary. After realizing I was not hit, I realized the engine shut off (I guess this was supposed to happen). When I turned the car back on, I noticed the check engine light. I put it into gear and I was only able to drive at a very low speed (I guess this is supposed to happen as well). I was literally two blocks from the dealership and was able to drive it into the car bay from where I purchased the vehicle.

I was told after two days that I was to get an entire transmission replacement. It took about two weeks but I was well taken care of by the dealership.

Life after the new transmission:
Bottom line, I keep getting pops and slaps when I shift into gear. I have read and was told this is normal for this truck and transmission, but it didn't do this prior to the new transmission. I have taken it into the dealer and they have given it a clean bill of health. I believe them. However, when driving, I feel like I’m being kicked in the rear end. The shifting is horrible and I have lost trust in this truck.

That's the end of the story. I am focused now on paying this truck down so I can move back to the Chevy Market. As I write this, I just sigh and shake my head because this is a nice looking truck.

Thanks for reading as this was therapeutic.

Just a note as well: the dealership has been fine with me. I understand they have specifications and bulletins that dictate what they can do etc. All the service techs have treated me well.

My 2019 Classic Warlock has the same issue when fueling up. I have noticed that using only the first notch on the pump handle will allow hands free operation. Sounds like I need to mention this to my dealer.

Seth Richards

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 l Hemi
My 2019 Classic Warlock has the same issue when fueling up. I have noticed that using only the first notch on the pump handle will allow hands free operation. Sounds like I need to mention this to my dealer.

I had that issue with two Chevy Traverses. Filling up was terrible. My old 2012 Traverse was the worst. Even filling by hand it got to the point where I had to hold the pump handle so it barely let fuel through the hose. Took forever to fill up. I had a 2016 Traverse also that was better but not by much.

I’ve only had my Ram for a couple days so jury is out on how it will be for me. I’ve only filled up once but I didn’t have to hold it at all. Hoping for better luck with my Ram than I had with my Traverses. Now that I think of it my 04 Blazer also had the same issue the last couple years I owned it. I think I stuck with Chevy FAR too long.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
gotcha. have you run it in tow haul? it does that in th. thats why i enjoy manually shifting it. can have.it down shift when i want it to and tach it up where i want it.

T/H mode will delay the upshifting too long for my tastes - usually likes to keep the rpms close to or slightly above 2000 rpms before shifting.

Without T/H, it still keeps the rpms between 1500 and 2000 on most shifts, I can get it a bit lower on flat ground and very light throttle. I am in 8th gear @ 42 mph @ 1200 rpms or so (if I remember correctly) on the level with very light throttle. Give it just a touch more throttle and she downshifts a gear or 2.

Steve Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow, I've had three Rams over the past 15 years, as well as an F-150 and a Silverado. What a bucket of bolts that Chevy was. Have not missed it once. None of my Rams had issues. Great trucks.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
My 2018 Laramie will have the pump nozzle issue at certain gas stations but not others. I don't know if it's the shape of the fill nozzle creating extra back pressure or what's up. I stick with certain stations now.

No other issues on mine ... 32k miles

M² Mods.

Mr Rich

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've always been a GM loyalist; even when my '89 Chev K1500 EC had a defective 305 engine (cracked engine block in the lifter valley). The dealer replaced the engine block at the time and did such a shoddy job a year or so later I bought a 350 crate engine OTC from another dealership and installed it myself at the curb outside my apt. at the time. That engine had a life of 190K miles before I swapped it out with a spare roller-cammed 350 I was saving for another project car I had. That was my second retirement project. So that old truck that I've owned for thirty years keeps going and going. It's a light duty truck though and my retirement life has kind of led me to a more transient life style. I needed a HD truck and the new GM's are so damn ugly! It's like the designers were battling each other to design different parts of the truck and they didn't integrate with each other. Does GM even realize what some longtime GM owners think? I guess not.
I'm still very pleased with my HD 2500 2018 Ram. I don't really have an issue with the six speed trans. A lot of times around town I set it to fourth gear or when driving on the highway that has a lot of grade changes I keep the trans in fifth and I think the engine stays in the powerband better for throttle response.

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I purchased my Dodge Ram, I couldn't have been more happy and excited. I had always wanted to own a Ram (HEMI), but for some reason I had fallen into the Chevy market.

I purchased a 2018 Ram, was in heaven, and enjoyed everything about this truck. It was powerful, smooth shifting and classy. I couldn't have been happier. However, you know that old saying, “All things must come to an end”.

Let me start in factual order of what's been happening. This is all facts, not conjecture, just what's happened to this guy who so loved this truck.

Fuel Tank: For some reason the check ball keeps stopping by popping the fuel pump handle when I'm trying to fill it up. It’s frustrating that I have to stand there and constantly restart the pump to add gas. This was supposed to have fixed but it hasn't stopped. Maybe this is a good thing since gas is creeping up it will keep me focused on my MPG’s. But to set the handle and let it go does not happen. I have to have a hand on it constantly. This was supposed to have been fixed with my transmission but is still acts funny.

Transmission: On January 17 of 2019 as I was driving to work, I thought I was rear-ended. It was crazy, like I did a hitch kick bad. It was dark, so It was scary. After realizing I was not hit, I realized the engine shut off (I guess this was supposed to happen). When I turned the car back on, I noticed the check engine light. I put it into gear and I was only able to drive at a very low speed (I guess this is supposed to happen as well). I was literally two blocks from the dealership and was able to drive it into the car bay from where I purchased the vehicle.

I was told after two days that I was to get an entire transmission replacement. It took about two weeks but I was well taken care of by the dealership.

Bottom line, I keep getting pops and slaps when I shift into gear. I have read and was told this is normal for this truck and transmission, but it didn't do this prior to the new transmission. I have taken it into the dealer and they have given it a clean bill of health. I believe them. However, when driving, I feel like I’m being kicked in the rear end. The shifting is horrible and I have lost trust in this truck.

That's the end of the story. I am focused now on paying this truck down so I can move back to the Chevy Market. As I write this, I just sigh and shake my head because this is a nice looking truck.

Just a note as well: the dealership has been fine with me. I understand they have specifications and bulletins that dictate what they can do etc. All the service techs have treated me well.

Sorry to hear your having issues with your Ram. Interesting thing is I've had six Ram 1500 since 2009 including a new 2019 Laramie 4x4 I purchased this year in Januar. I put around 130,000- K on each one before training in on a new one. All were Hemi 5.7 except for the 2015 which was an Echo Diesel. I never had a single issue with any of them And the only time they went to the dealer ship was for regular oil changes and normal service. I now have 16-k on the 2019 and it has been perfect with only oil changes being done. I don't know why you are having issues but l have had nothing but great service from Ram's. Also I pull a heavy travel trailer and a car trailer with a 4200 lb car behind these trucks on numerous long trips. I do not baby my trucks and normally drive the crap out or them. Don't get me wrong l drive them hard but I keep them spotless and polished like new inside and out and they get any and all normal maintenance that is called for. I'll be a Ram owner for many years to come.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear your having issues with your Ram. Interesting thing is I've had six Ram 1500 since 2009 including a new 2019 Laramie 4x4 I purchased this year in Januar. I put around 130,000- K on each one before training in on a new one. All were Hemi 5.7 except for the 2015 which was an Echo Diesel. I never had a single issue with any of them And the only time they went to the dealer ship was for regular oil changes and normal service. I now have 16-k on the 2019 and it has been perfect with only oil changes being done. I don't know why you are having issues but l have had nothing but great service from Ram's. Also I pull a heavy travel trailer and a car trailer with a 4200 lb car behind these trucks on numerous long trips. I do not baby my trucks and normally drive the crap out or them. Don't get me wrong l drive them hard but I keep them spotless and polished like new inside and out and they get any and all normal maintenance that is called for. I'll be a Ram owner for many years to come.
Wow that's like 700-800K miles over all those RAM's combined. You didn't have any cam/lifter failures on any of those HEMI's? What weight and brand of oil were/are you using?

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
After working in an assembly plant for over 14 years I can tell you this, 2 trucks go down the line one right after the other. These 2 are identical in every way, option and color. The two trucks come off the line one is perfect goes straight through all other tests and prep then sent to shipping. The other has issues, goes to the repair area gets fixed on several issues before it gets shipped.

Both trucks get old to people like us, the first truck the owner is the happiest owner in the world he truck never has problems for years. The owner of the second truck hates his. It is always in the shop for one thing or another. Both get on the internet to tell others about their experiences good and bad.

The moral of the story? It's all about luck and how you handle it. No line worker ever wants the customer to end up with the lemon, it affects their jobs.

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6

Take a loss and move back to your SR. We don’t care. This is RAM country. Jmo

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow that's like 700-800K miles over all those RAM's combined. You didn't have any cam/lifter failures on any of those HEMI's? What weight and brand of oil were/are you using?

No sir never an issue with any mechanical items . All the trucks preformed flawlessly and as far as the oil and filter it's a Mopar filter and what ever brand of oil the dealer uses. I'm not particular about oil brands as long as its the correct wt recommend by the manufacturer. I do know on the echo diesel I had in 2015 they started out using a special 5w30 which I believe was Penzoil Ultra made from natural gas. Then FCA came out about 8 months after I had purchased the truck and changed the oil recommendation to a 10w 40 Rotella which the dealership started using. One thing I'll say is that 90% of my driving is highway and I generally run five mph above the posted speed which here in Texas would make my average speed 80 mph. When pulling the trailers I generally run 65-70 depending on road and weather conditions. The reason for mentioning this is because my trucks don't run on four cylinders very often and I believe stop and go city driving and slow easy driving where the cylinder deactivation takes place often is what causes the lifter and cam problem. Also my oil and filter is changed every 4000 miles regardless.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
MY 2012 ram with the 6sp is smooth as silk-I havent tried the 8sp so I cant compare--I am just happy with the 6 and the HEMI!!!

46RamMan

U.S. Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I miss the rain sense wipers:).. I screwed up and didn't order them on my Ram...:banghead: But I will get them on my next Ram for sure...:banana-mario:

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
That really sucks. I have heard about some clunks when coming to a stop or occasional jerkiness but that sounds awful and dangerous. Hopefully it gets fixed.