Why is my coolant draining so slow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

msorbara10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram 2500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have been doing a lot of work on my truck today. Changed out the washer fluid, and doing the radiator flush and flushing the brake lines. I cant bleed the brake calipers yet so I keep soaking them in penetrating oil and try again tomorrow because I had a hammer hitting it with the wrench on it and they still wont budge.

Now I found the drain plug for the radiator, Loosened it as much as I could, (Anyone know the right size to use for it? I couldn't get anything to grip that nut?)
It is coming out but very slowly. It is a steady stream but after an hour of letting it drain, there is very little in the bucket and the reservoir looks like it hasn't gone down at all. Is that nut supposed to come all the way out? I still got to put water in it and let that drain and there is no way I will have time to let it drain that long again. Thanks

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try opening the reservoir tank to let some air in if you haven't already done so. Also undo the radiator cap.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
M

msorbara10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram 2500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I already have both of them off. Still the same. Im not sure if I should just try and just turn that screw all the way out. The drain nipple is a small hole but I think it could really come out a lot faster than it is.

Roastbeef

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500 crew 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
its always been faster to just disconnect the bottom radiator hose. makes a mess but its a lot quicker. also make sure after you drain the radiator you bring the truck up to operating temperature so the thermostat opens and drains the coolant out of the engine.

OP
OP
M

msorbara10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram 2500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Is the coolant that is in the coolant reservoir supposed to be drained as well when I drain the radiator? It doesn't seem to be. I took the plug completely out and it is just dripping now. Is there a way to drain the reservoir?

OP
OP
M

msorbara10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram 2500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
its always been faster to just disconnect the bottom radiator hose. makes a mess but its a lot quicker. also make sure after you drain the radiator you bring the truck up to operating temperature so the thermostat opens and drains the coolant out of the engine.

Should I run the truck with the plug out of the radiator?

OP
OP
M

msorbara10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram 2500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Where can I locate the radiator hose to get all of the coolant out of the truck?

OP
OP
M

msorbara10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram 2500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I got 5 gallons of coolant bc that what it takes but theres only 1 gallon in my bucket