Will 1500 Hemi fit my needs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fireguard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
Hi, new to this forum but long time member of Turbo Diesel Registry.
I currently have a slightly modded 03 3500 DRW 4x4 CTD that I carried a large Lance camper. Also used it to tow my Ragen 21' toyhauler.
I sold the Lance and went in partners on a 32' Southwind motorhome with the Chev Workhorse chasis. Will also keep my Ragen.
I flat towed a Jeep Cherokee behind the Lance but would like to start taking my adv touring motorcycle along so I thought a small pickup that can be flat towed would work to put the bike in the bed. Bikes around 600 lbs.
I looked at a 2012 Chev Colorado with 35k mi but they want $25k for it. If I go this route, I will keep the 3500 to tow the toyhauler and use the the Chev as a daily driver and a towed veh.
I started doing some research and noticed the Ram1500 is only around 1000 lbs heavier than the Colorado, can be flat towed, would be a better truck to carry a motorcycle and I could buy a "new" Tradesman 4x4 Hemi for around $28k.
Ideally, if this would pull my TH I could sell the 3500 and save money on Reg/Ins and get over $20k for it.
My TH has a gvw of 12,800 but I'm around 8-10k lbs when I use it. Most trips would be locally to the beach within 50-100 mi.
My motorhome has a custom built 10k lb hitch and truck would be flat towed with supplemental braking. It looks like truck is around 5k lbs and add another 1k for bike and etc and I should be under 6500 lbs when its being towed. (no people) maybe a little over the gcwr of my motorhome, but I'm sure the Workhorse will have no problem towing it.
I think I'm more concerned with a 1500 towing the TH. I would get the QC 4x4 with the 8 sp. I know payload sucks on a 1500 and my TH has a tongue weight of around 1k lbs, but it will be easy towing and not far. I know its not going to tow it like my Cummins, but will it do the job safely without destroying the truck?
So, lets hear your thoughts? Thanks

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My thoughts are, if the numbers don't add up you should get a bigger truck, or stick with the 3500.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I sold my '05 CTD and am regretting it. Now, trucks have gone up so much it is a bitter pill to swallow. I just don't know if I'll be happy with a half-ton. Currently leaning towards a 2500 with 6.4 Hemi, as I don't rack up many miles. It's a tough call. Your '03 is the cream of the crop for common-rail MPG.