Will the 04 Ram1500 v6 transmission fit the 04 5.7 Hemi. 2wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I’ve got a 04 5.7 ram Qcab . 150,000 miles on the rebuilt transmission. Acting up. Found a 04 ram1500 v6 transmission 20,000 on it. Supposed to be 545rfe but has the black solenoid plug. Mine is the white plug. Is there any way it’s a 45rfe ? And even if it’s a 45rfe can I just change the s pack & d plate. And it will work ? I believe if it is a 545rfe the s pack & d plate swap is all I should have to do. Both 2wd. Couldn’t find a transmission section so posted here. Eyes now burning from looking for this info. Lol. Any help greatly appreciated .

OP
OP
T

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes. I can swap s pack and detent plate. All the info I’ve found ,says only difference seems to be software. As mechanically the trans is the same. I found that the 45rfe is the same mechanically and supposedly a software swap to it (45) will make it a 545rfe. Found that info in jeep forum.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes. I can swap s pack and detent plate. All the info I’ve found ,says only difference seems to be software. As mechanically the trans is the same. I found that the 45rfe is the same mechanically and supposedly a software swap to it (45) will make it a 545rfe. Found that info in jeep forum.
That is true, however that applies to RFE's through 2002 (trans was introduced in 1999). Guys used to swap TCM's to get their 2002 4.7 Rams the extra OD gear to try and save some gas $$. From 2003 on they were all 545's regardless of designation. If it is actually an RFE then it will be plug and play, just requiring a quick learn (this is non-negotiable). All RFE's within the 3rd gen range are forwards and backwards compatible.

OP
OP
T

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I knew there would be a year difference . The one I picked up is a 04. Mine is 04. The one I got does come up as a 545. Just has black plug mine has white plug. So I guess I’ll swap em. I’ve got a dodge reman s pack,& converter. A sonnax upgraded valve body. Also the detent plate (goes with white plug s pack). At the very least I’ve got a core I can build. Kid blew his engine up. I gave 200 for the trans. Fluid looks & smells ok. Probably a Craigslist rebuild receipts are at his moms Lol. Thanks for the input folks .