Will my dogs sufficate in the bed of the truck with a tonneau?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jackblackjeet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
until somebody rear ends you...

if you want to put your dogs in the bed of the truck, you need a camper shell with windows that open. they need to be in a secured crate. just throwing them under the tonno cover and hoping for the best is ****** up. if you feel that its acceptable, you really shouldnt have pets. its not about being sensitive, its being humane.

well like I said, my dog is always in the cab with me, I don't even like my bicycle to be on the back hitch.

KahneFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Attachments

• 8a5370dc7bf25b6e74f957c95c8a6791.jpg
    8a5370dc7bf25b6e74f957c95c8a6791.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 118

RamAK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 1500 SPORT
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Ok so I have always had my dogs in the bed of the truck, not to often do my huskies ride in side due to having the rest of the family in the truck. Granite I had a different setup in my old truck I had the topper and two kennels they went in and a strap over the kennels to keep them from moving. but that's me as long as there is adequate air flow they should be fine but keep in mind in the summer that fiber glass cover can retain a lot of heat (just something to keep in mind). most of the time mine just curl up in a ball and take a nap for the ride but they have done this some many times because of going camping a lot it like second nature to them to ride in the back of the truck. once again all this is about is proper air flow and keeping them cool with that said they should be fine in the back of a truck.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well they wouldn't run out of air to breath but if they are small dogs then i'll crate them so they don't go rolling around, but I put my golden retriever in the bed of my truck a lot and she just lays down, just be careful taking turns and braking and you would be fine.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't have an issue with dogs riding in the bed of the truck, have always had the dogs in the bed while I was growing up... it's just the way it was. Now, I can't say that I would do it with a cover over the bed. I'd be a little concerned with airflow, for one, but two, if you prop the back of the cover up somehow, you may get exhaust fumes in there that would eventually do some harm. Also, like someone mentioned, that cover is going to soak up a lot of heat and retain it for quite some time.

Our current dogs ride in the back seat, but that's mainly cause they are "city" dogs and have never been trained to ride in the bed of a truck.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK!!! I understand people disagree with dogs in the trunk, but there are no laws against it and people do it all the time.

Instead of expressing your views on the treatment of animals on Ram Forum, instead petition your lawmakers to put rules in place against it. What about airplanes? that's got to be pretty terrible too. Or even worse, how about field dogs bought by people who live in the city, now that fking sucks!

My dogs have had great lives, are outside all day and frequently chasing down deer, squirrels, cats, etc, instead of sitting in a house and watching their owners watch tv. you question my dogs safty, at least they aren't losing their sanity!

"its not about being sensitive, its being humane" well check out how chickens, pigs and cattle are handled, now that really sucks and i'm sure you're now going to stop eating steak!

I'm seeking thoughts on this very topic so i'm not being abusive, and as long as the airflow is good and they have something to sit on, it's looking like it's fine. Again, i'm going to test personally before i throw them in there.

Hahhahahah!!!

Actually there is laws. You have a responsibility to keep your dog safe. If someone leaves a dog in a car with the engine off and windows up here, your car will get broken into to save the dog and you will be the one going to jail.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/new...ticles/bn9/2015/9/4/ohio_couple_charged_.html

If I heard a dog locked in your bed I would use whatever force necessary to get him out and be sure to follow up on charges for you.

The fact that you even consider this an option is a joke. At least those horrible devices on the back of car allow the dog to breathe and get fresh air. Same thing in an airplane.

People don't realize it doesn't need to be super hot outside for the inside temperature to creep up well over 150 degrees.

zane8000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Actually there is laws. You have a responsibility to keep your dog safe. If someone leaves a dog in a car with the engine off and windows up here, your car will get broken into to save the dog and you will be the one going to jail.

Ohio couple charged with leaving dogs in hot car outside Tampa mall

If I heard a dog locked in your bed I would use whatever force necessary to get him out and be sure to follow up on charges for you.

The fact that you even consider this an option is a joke. At least those horrible devices on the back of car allow the dog to breathe and get fresh air. Same thing in an airplane.

People don't realize it doesn't need to be super hot outside for the inside temperature to creep up well over 150 degrees.

we have a vigilante on our hands lol

but OP the issue people are having is with the dogs riding in the bed but with the tonneau being down while they are doing it. all you need to do is fold your solid fold back and they will be fine. My rottie rode in my bed all the time guarding my tools.

tsc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not going to slam you, make any comments or judge.

But try this (with someone as a safety person).

Lay in the bed of your truck and close it, like you want to transport the dogs. Even going down the road, you are not going to get a lot of air movement (look at the wind tunnel studies of pick up trucks--there is an air bubble in the bed of the truck).

That being said, I wish I could find the video done by a vet. He was talking about dogs in parked vehicles.

The short answer is. The dog gets hot and then gets anxious, because he can't do anything about it and doesn't know what's going on. By getting anxious, he gets hotter and makes the situation worse, since he is increasing his own body temp. While the ambient temp is also getting higher.

Again, I'm not trying to slam you, but giving you some points to ponder

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
we have a vigilante on our hands lol

but OP the issue people are having is with the dogs riding in the bed but with the tonneau being down while they are doing it. all you need to do is fold your solid fold back and they will be fine. My rottie rode in my bed all the time guarding my tools.

I keep the Batman suite in the car just in case... j/k.... but if it comes to saving a dogs life, most of us would do what needs to be done.

This is correct though, the issue isn't the bed, the issue is being under the cover.

AcerOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
'13 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 hemmskii
Some people just shouldn't be pet owners. If something in a car feels too hot and stuffy, go put on a fur coat and see how much better that makes it. Those trailer hitch kennels make me sick... even a minor rear end collision is a sure way to kill your "best friend".

OP
OP
B

bmcfiv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
@kahnefan like the pvc

@ramAK great points

@beau good point, not hard to do

@adrian if they are in the bed with the tonneau closed, you'll never know they are there

@zane8000 agreed, but with south carolina storms and all our luggage back there not ideal with tonneau up

@ramminjammin thx, super helpful!

@tsc yeah man, good point. i was thinking that if i could generate sufficient airflow, give them a bed to sit on, and have lights in the interior, it wouldn't been too bad. but there are definitely other factors.

IDEA 1: ok, wondering how bad the exhaust would be if i had the tonneau close, gate open, and a gate guard installed. does that pass the safety test? that seems decent.

IDEA 2: hahahah, maybe i could even rig up a tube that attaches to the hitch, then has an opening below the hitch facing forward for air intake, then wraps up and around the gate blowing fresh, wonderful south carolina air into their faces. Thoughts?

I agree with some, on hot days no way would i even consider leaving them in there. in addition, it's clear there needs to be sufficient airflow. my original comment around it not being too hot was more geared toward extang solid fold 2.0, i'm shocked at how little heat transfers into the actual bed when closed on a hot day. sorry, that definitely wasn't clear.
Thx for all the answers and help!

Last edited:

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a tri fold- my dog is in the back all the time- Also what makes a great mattress for the dog is a " toddlers mattress" they are water proof and u can pick up a used one for like 10$ at a thrift store- take it home and scrub it down and let it dry " since they are water proof. I leave my tri fold folded so the dog gets fresh air and has shade- plus she can poke her head out when ever she wants.. - but anything over 80* and the dog is in the cab with us-

swh822

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have 2 dogs 1 little Boston terrier and 1 96lb argentine dogo..always in my truck...the Boston terrier sits on my wifes lap in the front...I have my 4 yo daughter , 20 yo son with his girlfriend in the back and the argentine dogo just lays on the back floor the entire ride ...I couldn't ever put my dogs in the bed ...

iceyivy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
So much up roar in this thread holy cow. Ill just say I've always had my dogs ride in the bed of the truck. Sure they'll slide around a couple times but eventually they will either get the hang of it or just lay down. If the bed is just the paint and no liner they will slide but any sort of bed liner and a dog will be able to keep its balance. As for the OP just fold the tonneau up and put a crate in the bed if you are really worried about. Love my dogs but them inside the cab is a damn hastle

OP
OP
B

bmcfiv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
icey!!! thank god you joined this thread, i'm being lambasted. hahahaah love your comments.

iceyivy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
icey!!! thank god you joined this thread, i'm being lambasted. hahahaah love your comments.

I was not aware there were so many tree huggers on this thread. I refuse to put one of my dirty ass panting dogs in the cab of my truck. I don't see a tonneau cover creating an air tight seal in any way. Hell mine isn't even water tight I've even thought about sleeping in my bed with my cover. As for a dog.... as long as the temps aren't too high and they don't stay locked in without the truck moving I don't see the issue.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think it's tree hugger mentality, I think it's just being a responsible and caring pet owner.

go lay in the bed of your truck with the tonneau closed and have your wife drive on the highway. I promise the ride isn't going to be fun. put them in a crate under your kids feet or just flip the cover up and leave them in the back. nothing wrong with them being in the bed of the truck. would I personally let my dog ride in the bed? no, but that's because he's basically my child and when he's next to me he knows how to get my attention if he's hungry or needs to take a leak. he'd be losing his mind if I put him in the bed of the truck. my **** can be cleaned inside the truck easily anyway.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

iceyivy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I don't think it's tree hugger mentality, I think it's just being a responsible and caring pet owner.

go lay in the bed of your truck with the tonneau closed and have your wife drive on the highway. I promise the ride isn't going to be fun. put them in a crate under your kids feet or just flip the cover up and leave them in the back. nothing wrong with them being in the bed of the truck. would I personally let my dog ride in the bed? no, but that's because he's basically my child and when he's next to me he knows how to get my attention if he's hungry or needs to take a leak. he'd be losing his mind if I put him in the bed of the truck. my **** can be cleaned inside the truck easily anyway.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

As a kid I did ride in the beds of trucks. This is just mind boggling that so many people are in an outrage for people like myself putting their dogs in the bed. Also just because someone puts their dog in the back doesn't mean they're an irresponsible pet owner.