Window Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iLLeStEyECoN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Is there any way to check if the third brake light and rear window leak problems from the 4th gen were corrected in the 5th gen? I’d rather not find out with a nice water stain on my headliner. I have been checking the 4th gen forums to see what methods they used to identify the leak, but they were very inconsistent. Considering that problem plagued that gen for almost a decade, I hope they corrected it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
They did correct it in the 4th gens finally with a thicker seal around the lamp housing. My 2014 came with part 55372082AB or 55372082AC (I forget which), and I ordred 55372082AF (latest) for less than $20. Definitely a thicker, nicer seal. No leaks so far, had it over a year now.

Others fixed it with RTV sealant, or a DIY seal from Home Depot/Lowes/etc. I would not recommend the RTV, in case you ever have to swap out the bulb later, but it should work.

That all being said, I'm sure the 3rd brake light on the 5th gens is a different design. I would have hoped that FCA learned from past mistakes, but if not, that is what your 3 year/36000 mile warranty is for. :)

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I picked my truck up today, and found out that yes my rear area does in fact leak.

OP
OP
iLLeStEyECoN

iLLeStEyECoN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
They did correct it in the 4th gens finally with a thicker seal around the lamp housing. My 2014 came with part 55372082AB or 55372082AC (I forget which), and I ordred 55372082AF (latest) for less than $20. Definitely a thicker, nicer seal. No leaks so far, had it over a year now.

Others fixed it with RTV sealant, or a DIY seal from Home Depot/Lowes/etc. I would not recommend the RTV, in case you ever have to swap out the bulb later, but it should work.

That all being said, I'm sure the 3rd brake light on the 5th gens is a different design. I would have hoped that FCA learned from past mistakes, but if not, that is what your 3 year/36000 mile warranty is for. :)

Thank you!

I picked my truck up today, and found out that yes my rear area does in fact leak.

I think you’re the first one to state that and yours was weird. That was excessive considering it came from you cleaning your windshield. I am going to double check mine tomorrow but we have literally been under water and I haven’t noticed anything.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Got a call from my dealership saying the problem was the roof mounted antenna. They have ordered a new one and should be here on Saturday. I’ll pick the truck up on Monday after it’s cleaned back up again.

Goatpower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Here you go man. My 2011 ram was leaking and this done the trick. Very cheap and quick.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Just to update this folks since I can not change the original title, it was my roof mounted antenna that was leaking. A new one has been ordered and I will pick the truck up on Monday.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I replaced the seal on my 2017 when my truck was a month old, wanted to catch it BEFORE it leaked. The factory seal looked thin to me