Window tints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

Rybo917

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is 50% tint on my windshield ....

You can see the rest of it as I have 5% all around and 50% on the windshield ...

View attachment 487540
Do you think there is a huge difference between 70 and 50% windshield tint? I am torn and my buddy has 35% and its dark at night, too dark for me. I know 70 is nothing but was going to get a 70 percent ceramic tint on the windhsield and over the factory rears.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Do you think there is a huge difference between 70 and 50% windshield tint? I am torn and my buddy has 35% and its dark at night, too dark for me. I know 70 is nothing but was going to get a 70 percent ceramic tint on the windhsield and over the factory rears.
I would get 70 .. sometimes it's a bit dark depending where I am driving ... go with the 70 you won't regret it ... my wife is going to get 70 on her Lexus windshield ..

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you think there is a huge difference between 70 and 50% windshield tint?

Go into a nice tint shop and they will have samples of everything. You can see before you buy.

buhwana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l
I had two cars tinted ( can’t remember the percentage but it was the max for Texas) and the front Windows with ceramic. The ceramic does keep the heat out but it also has a haze, if not kept extremely clean ( who can do that 100% of the time?) and it’s terrible when going directly into the sun. I almost hit someone going into the sun and the ceramic was so hazy I didn’t see them. Would not do that again. Might be the specific ceramic used but overall the job was professionally done

Bigdawes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is mine, I just got the fronts to match the backs, didn’t go with ceramic. Couldn’t see the reason to unless I did the back and rear passenger windows! 55AB31DC-7FF0-4754-92F6-E8672609E06D.jpeg

Robert Mc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Not disagreeing about the safety aspect. But there's more going on than just safety. Lots of states allow tint on the windshield and front side windows. But it's not legal in other states to tint either of those. Are you saying it's safe to tint the front side windows in Washington state, but unsafe to do so in New Jersey?

That's more of a rhetorical question. I realize that's not what you're saying.
North Dakota, Ohio, and Vermont are the only three states that allow the windshield to be tinted on any part of the windshield below 6". Windshield tint is typically allowed in one of three ways: Down from the top of the windshield to the AS1 line, a 5" wide strip, or a 6" wide strip. ND, Ohio, and Vermont are the only three states that allow the entire windshield to be tinted. Surprisingly, Vermont allows up to 32% tint on the windshield. That seems ridiculous to me. How would you even be able to see out of the windshield with 32% tint at night?

I've seen plenty of people with 70% tint on their windshield, and to be honest, that seems just fine without being dangerous. Anything darker than that and you're asking to be sued if anything happens.

To answer the OP question I have 5% rear window, 5% back seat side windows, 50% front side windows, and 70% windshield. I drive my truck for my business and spend an awful lot of time in the truck. It is a lot cooler in the truck and so much easier on my eyes.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Go into a nice tint shop and they will have samples of everything. You can see before you buy.
You can't go by the samples they have though ... not all glass (windows) on every car are the same and most of the time those are just samples that don't even correspond to the current tint brand they are using .... all tint shops go through many different brands all the time or switch them up quite often especially when they are trying to save money .... my wife's lexus has 5% all around and her tint seems a bit darker than mine ....

All tints are not the same or look the same from the inside looking out ...

Robert Mc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
And of course, you always have the wonderful boys in blue who have limo tint but are more than a little enthusiastic to write tint tickets to anybody else...
As a retired peace officer I will say that police vehicles are exempt from almost all of the same equipment laws required for civilian vehicles in most states for a reason. Comparing civilian cars to law enforcement vehicles is a non-starter. Just like when people complain that police cars are left running on a hot day or even a cold day. Today's police cars have a significant amount of computer equipment inside them that is susceptible to extreme heat and cold which is why they are left running. Peace officers are also exempt from having to wear seat belts but you hear people complain about it anyway. Department policy usually requires it but they don't have to wear them. You will also see them driving a tad faster than the speed limit on their way to a call and there are limitations to what is acceptable. The same people who complain they drive a little fast are the same ones who complain that it took them all day to get to their house. Not every call requires lights and sirens but some do require some expediency in getting to. I'm not defending every instance of speeding for LE, but it's a necessary part of the job.

mrclean426

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Had all my windows tinted including windshield, with ceramic tint. if you live in hot climates as i do it helps immensely with reducing heat in the interior. I pulled the trigger when i installed the mm3 as i didnt want the unit cooking in 105 degree sun.
i also use a windshield blind when parked and after soaking all day in summer sun interior is not horrible when i get in

Iggy2kz

Reaction score
6B3BD61C-A7E0-4E5A-B156-7322C158E7F1.jpeg
I did 20% on fronts and 50% on windshield. I put the ceramic on.
I’ve had it on all my cars and makes a difference in sunglight and amount of heat in the car coming in.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
North Dakota, Ohio, and Vermont are the only three states that allow the windshield to be tinted on any part of the windshield below 6". Windshield tint is typically allowed in one of three ways: Down from the top of the windshield to the AS1 line, a 5" wide strip, or a 6" wide strip. ND, Ohio, and Vermont are the only three states that allow the entire windshield to be tinted. Surprisingly, Vermont allows up to 32% tint on the windshield. That seems ridiculous to me. How would you even be able to see out of the windshield with 32% tint at night?

I've seen plenty of people with 70% tint on their windshield, and to be honest, that seems just fine without being dangerous. Anything darker than that and you're asking to be sued if anything happens.

To answer the OP question I have 5% rear window, 5% back seat side windows, 50% front side windows, and 70% windshield. I drive my truck for my business and spend an awful lot of time in the truck. It is a lot cooler in the truck and so much easier on my eyes.
Well that's surprising to me based on what I've seen people in other states claim. My fault for not doing my own research on those claims. I was giving people the benefit of the doubt when they say it's legal in their state (which isn't usually ND, Ohio, or Vermont). And you missed Hawaii in your list. According to what I just read they allow 70%.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
The laws regarding window tinting vary by state although they are seldom enforced. The local tint shop will know what is legal. I go with the limo tint as it is called where I want the tint to keep the interior of a car or truck cooler.

With a truck cab I want the rear window with the limo tint and the rear side windows of the cab with a medium tint and I never tint the front side windows as I want maximum visibility under all conditions as I rely on my side mirrors a great deal.

Another option I only recently discovered are the car window shades that have fabric stretched over a wire frame. These can be put inside the vehicle to block the sun and removed in seconds. I put them on the windows, including the front windows, when the vehicle is parked and it keeps it cooler inside and it protects the upholstery from UV damage. It takes seconds to remove them and start driving and have maximum visibility. These are also cheap at a cost of roughly $6 per window shade.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi

With NYS medical exemption, full windshield tinting is legal.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
With NYS medical exemption, full windshield tinting is legal.
Yeah but you can still only get a certain amount of tint and it has to be for a verified medical condition and the process still takes a few months ... even here in California you can get a med. exempt for window tint but that doesn't mean you can get 5% or even 50% for that matter ....

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah but you can still only get a certain amount of tint and it has to be for a verified medical condition and the process still takes a few months ... even here in California you can get a med. exempt for window tint but that doesn't mean you can get 5% or even 50% for that matter ....

NYS, with medical exemption there is NO restriction on what can be tinted nor what percentage of tinting. I keep a printout of the NYS DOH paperwork in the glovebox (just in case I get pulled over).

And just an FYI for others, the exemption is for anyone who qualifies' vehicle (where they are the driver) OR any vehicle they regularly are a passenger in. So, if my wife "regularly" (there is no definition of regularly) rides in anyone's car, THEY would qualify for medical a exemption too.

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As a retired peace officer I will say that police vehicles are exempt from almost all of the same equipment laws required for civilian vehicles in most states for a reason. Comparing civilian cars to law enforcement vehicles is a non-starter. Just like when people complain that police cars are left running on a hot day or even a cold day. Today's police cars have a significant amount of computer equipment inside them that is susceptible to extreme heat and cold which is why they are left running. Peace officers are also exempt from having to wear seat belts but you hear people complain about it anyway. Department policy usually requires it but they don't have to wear them. You will also see them driving a tad faster than the speed limit on their way to a call and there are limitations to what is acceptable. The same people who complain they drive a little fast are the same ones who complain that it took them all day to get to their house. Not every call requires lights and sirens but some do require some expediency in getting to. I'm not defending every instance of speeding for LE, but it's a necessary part of the job.
I disagree with all that except the car running and speeding. If the public can't have tint neither should we.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can't go by the samples they have though ... not all glass (windows) on every car are the same and most of the time those are just samples that don't even correspond to the current tint brand they are using .... all tint shops go through many different brands all the time or switch them up quite often especially when they are trying to save money .... my wife's lexus has 5% all around and her tint seems a bit darker than mine ....

All tints are not the same or look the same from the inside looking out ...

For sure lots of different tint out there. even the ceramic vs normal there is a color difference. i took pieces out to my truck and taped it to the window to look at it lol. any good shop will help you out and get what you want.