Window tints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcarey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'd like to do something to my windshield. I notice that at night, I see like a weird refraction of most LED headlights on the highway. It drives me absolutely insane.

I've cleaned it a hundred times, and it's only the windshield (and not my eyes) because if I look out the side windows or rear, it doesn't happen.

I've actually been meaning to make a thread about it to see if anyone else experiences it. It's like I can see the headlight three times. The main, real life headlight, and then a lighter almost transparent but rather detailed version directly above and below it. On something like an Acura, I can actually make out each individual reflector. And it doesn't seem to happen nearly as bad, if at all, with older halogen vehicles.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I'd like to do something to my windshield. I notice that at night, I see like a weird refraction of most LED headlights on the highway. It drives me absolutely insane.

I've cleaned it a hundred times, and it's only the windshield (and not my eyes) because if I look out the side windows or rear, it doesn't happen.

I've actually been meaning to make a thread about it to see if anyone else experiences it. It's like I can see the headlight three times. The main, real life headlight, and then a lighter almost transparent but rather detailed version directly above and below it. On something like an Acura, I can actually make out each individual reflector. And it doesn't seem to happen nearly as bad, if at all, with older halogen vehicles.
You have astigmatism and the shape and angle of the windshields on these Rams multiplies it even more ...This happens to my in my truck but not in my wife's lexus or in my toyota corolla ... go get your eyes checked and I guarantee you they will say you astigmatism ... you just don't notice it because it's very light with you probably but for me I can't see crap at night lol ... which is why I decided to tint my windshield and it has helped me driving at night now ....

mcarey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You have astigmatism and the shape and angle of the windshields on these Rams multiplies it even more ...This happens to my in my truck but not in my wife's lexus or in my toyota corolla ... go get your eyes checked and I guarantee you they will say you astigmatism ... you just don't notice it because it's very light with you probably but for me I can't see crap at night lol ... which is why I decided to tint my windshield and it has helped me driving at night now ....
I can definitely do that. Have vision insurance and have never once even used it, lol.

Only thing that's been keeping me from doing so earlier was that I've never experienced it in any other vehicle before.

Suppose it could be the angle of the windshield. Never thought about that, I guess. Been meaning to see if a camera would pick it up, but never think about it in action.

It's just weird because it's any light really. Street lights, both over head and traffic markers, provided they are LED. And any traffic at night, regardless of the angle of approach - ie, going up or down canyons, or flat.

Could definitely be my eyes though. Just doesn't happen anywhere but in the damned truck! Time to set an appt to see a new doc I guess.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I can definitely do that. Have vision insurance and have never once even used it, lol.

Only thing that's been keeping me from doing so earlier was that I've never experienced it in any other vehicle before.

Suppose it could be the angle of the windshield. Never thought about that, I guess. Been meaning to see if a camera would pick it up, but never think about it in action.

It's just weird because it's any light really. Street lights, both over head and traffic markers, provided they are LED. And any traffic at night, regardless of the angle of approach - ie, going up or down canyons, or flat.

Could definitely be my eyes though. Just doesn't happen anywhere but in the damned truck! Time to set an appt to see a new doc I guess.
Yes have them checked seriously ... I thought I was going crazy with after I got my truck ... they did some tests and turned out to be astigmatism ... I ended up getting some glasses to drive at night that have a film to minimize the glare created by it ... helped out a lot but what really helped was tinting my windshield lol ... good luck !!

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
When I got my Truck. I had sides ceramic tinted all same, and windshield.
Forgot the numbers, it's in post somewhere on the forum.

Took day or so just to get use to windshield at night, as it is darker.
It's really nice driving on highway at night, with other car/trucks lights.

Where I live, it's been illegal do windshield/front two windows for 5-6 years.
There is hole in law though, if you purchased new vehicle with 'tint' already, it's fine.
Been stopped by police few times since I got truck, no one has said anything about it.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Been stopped by police few times since I got truck, no one has said anything about it.
Could you elaborate on this more? Seems like you might be holding back on a good story here. :p

mcarey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yes have them checked seriously ... I thought I was going crazy with after I got my truck ... they did some tests and turned out to be astigmatism ... I ended up getting some glasses to drive at night that have a film to minimize the glare created by it ... helped out a lot but what really helped was tinting my windshield lol ... good luck !!
Got an appt tomorrow. See how that pans out.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got an appt tomorrow. See how that pans out.

If you are describing what you are seeing correctly, you 100% have an astigmatism. An astigmatism causes lights to appear distorted. This isn't 100% accurate, but is an example of what it looks like for me without my glasses on at night vs with my glasses on:

DMEI-Blog-Feature-Image-8.jpg

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Visibility certainly should be of a concerned any time, yet if you look into why certain states have tint limitations, it’s not solely nor even the main reason from the drivers View point.

It is more so from a Police Officer view point and their safety When approaching a vehicle.
Well I get lost cuz other day I saw a detective and he had front tint to point you couldn’t even see person driving from side.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you are describing what you are seeing correctly, you 100% have an astigmatism. An astigmatism causes lights to appear distorted. This isn't 100% accurate, but is an example of what it looks like for me without my glasses on at night vs with my glasses on:

View attachment 488049
LASIK will also make this happen.

mcarey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

View attachment 488049
It's not exactly like that, but looking at google images, it is more on par with this:

1646841724516.png

But with lights at night. So instead of light streaks, it's these somewhat holographic duplicates above and below.

I'll know in about 4 hours for sure. Kind of excited. Never been to an eye doctor before.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's not exactly like that, but looking at google images, it is more on par with this:

But with lights at night. So instead of light streaks, it's these somewhat holographic duplicates above and below.

I'll know in about 4 hours for sure. Kind of excited. Never been to an eye doctor before.

Yeah, my personal opinion as someone with an astigmatism, is that's what they are going to tell you. How it affects you is dependent on the actual area of the eye that is misshaped. For me I have it in the 180 axis in one eye and 110 axis in another. When I take my glasses off it everyone looks taller and thinner (like I'm looking in a fun mirror that stretches you). If you have it in one axis in one eye and a none or a different axis in the other, you could see double vision like in that google image.

One time, I had the windshield replaced in my Audi A4, it really messed with my vision anywhere where there was a curve. I had to go back to safelite and have the OEM replacement put in, because with my astigmatism it was causing eye pain.

Last edited:

mcarey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So I do have an astimagtism, but it's rather minor and only in one eye. Decided to get a pair of glasses for driving, just to see if it makes any difference, since it was a cheap gamble w/ insurance. Can't imagine it'll hurt to any degree, so we'll see how that goes. Should get them in ~10 days or so.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
So I do have an astimagtism, but it's rather minor and only in one eye. Decided to get a pair of glasses for driving, just to see if it makes any difference, since it was a cheap gamble w/ insurance. Can't imagine it'll hurt to any degree, so we'll see how that goes. Should get them in ~10 days or so.
Well now you know you have astigmatism ...welcome to the club ...

mcarey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Can't say I'm psyched to be a member, but if it works out it works out.

I will say that I'll be taking my other vehicle out this week at night just to see if I have the same results at night. I put 45K on that rig before getting my RAM, and don't remember ever noticing it, but if it isn't a thing.... unfortunately I'll have some serious thinking to do.

As much as I like the truck, I'm not sure I'm on board with wearing eye glasses just to not be driven nuts while driving it. But it is annoying enough, that my other potential truck choices would be on the table assuming they don't cause the same effect.

I'm half hoping it's not the truck, but if it is I'll likely be dumping it even if the glasses are the fix. Using the lenses at the docs, my vision was definitely better, but we're talking about splitting hairs to a rather significant degree.

I do have a rock chip that was repaired and was on the border of being too big so they noted a replacement will likely be coming, so I may get the whole thing replaced first too and see if that is a solution, but I'm thinking that's wishful thinking.

I did look kinda sharp wearing them though.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can't say I'm psyched to be a member, but if it works out it works out.

I will say that I'll be taking my other vehicle out this week at night just to see if I have the same results at night. I put 45K on that rig before getting my RAM, and don't remember ever noticing it, but if it isn't a thing.... unfortunately I'll have some serious thinking to do.

As much as I like the truck, I'm not sure I'm on board with wearing eye glasses just to not be driven nuts while driving it. But it is annoying enough, that my other potential truck choices would be on the table assuming they don't cause the same effect.

I'm half hoping it's not the truck, but if it is I'll likely be dumping it even if the glasses are the fix. Using the lenses at the docs, my vision was definitely better, but we're talking about splitting hairs to a rather significant degree.

I do have a rock chip that was repaired and was on the border of being too big so they noted a replacement will likely be coming, so I may get the whole thing replaced first too and see if that is a solution, but I'm thinking that's wishful thinking.

I did look kinda sharp wearing them though.

Some vehicle windshield angles exaggerate astigmatisms. Sometimes it is just the manufacturing of that specific shield, sometimes its the shape and there is nothing you can do.

As I had mentioned, I had an aftermarket shield in my A4, I actually noticed it during the day, at the first turn leaving safelite, I turned around and went right back. They swapped it for another aftermarket which wasn't as bad, but over a week was causing me eye pain (it was changing my focus). I ended up returning and getting an OEM shield which solved the problem.

I have an aftermarket shield in my e46 3 series BWM, I have no problems with it.

I do have the usual astigmatism glare when looking at traffic lights, and can have a hard time reading the countdown numbers at crosswalks while driving (predicting when the green is going to change to yellow). This is even with my VERY expensive glasses (rimless, digital lenses, progressive, and transitions).

Last edited:

mcarey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Some vehicle windshield angles exaggerate astigmatisms. Sometimes it is just the manufacturing of that specific shield, sometimes its the shape and there is nothing you can do.

As I had mentioned, I had an aftermarket shield in my A4, I actually noticed it during the day, at the first turn leaving safelite, I turned around and went right back. They swapped it for another aftermarket which wasn't as bad, but over a week was causing me eye pain (it was changing my focus). I ended up returning and getting an OEM shield which solved the problem.

I have an aftermarket shield in my e46 3 series BWM, I have no problems with it.

I do have the usual astigmatism glare when looking at traffic lights, and can have a hard time reading the countdown numbers at crosswalks while driving (predicting when the green is going to change to yellow). This is even with my VERY expensive glasses (rimless, digital lenses, progressive, and transitions).
Good news, I suppose, is I do experience the same thing in my 4Runner as well. Took that vehicle out to dinner tonight. So it looks like my Raptor/Tremor order is back off the table, lol.

Hopefully the glasses are the ticket.

Now I'm stuck wondering if this just started, or if I just suddenly became aware of it and now can't unsee it.