Windshield washer fluid notification won't turn off...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huff2462

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like the title says... I ran low of windshield washer fluid and the notification on my dash came on. I decided to run it all the way out to re-fill it with some rain-x fluid...

I filled it up all the way (1.5 jugs) and it works just fine... but now the notification will intermittently come on despite a full reservoir and no leaks! Doesn't affect functionality, but I hate having that false notification on my dash...

I'm at a loss... has anyone dealt with this?

evanblain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm pretty sure if you look into it on here other guys have had this problem and if I remember correctly rain-x is the cause. Something about that formula forming a film over the sensor where it's unable to get an accurate reading.

PalmettoAutobot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had this same issue. I live in the chicagoland and found that the rain-x All-Season or the Rain-X 2-in-1 seems to cause the most problem with the sensor just causing a build up on the electrodes. The Rain-X Bug Remover (green) has is no issue with the system. Before going to buy a new sensor, the best way is to drain the reservoir and flush with some clean distilled water, also clean the sensor. The Rain-x De-Icer did not have much issue on this. But the best for the winter I have found with the touchy sensor is Splash All-Season (purple) washer fluid.

Hopes this helps.

OP
OP
huff2462

huff2462

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, crazy! I never thought a specific brand could cause an issue like this...

I guess I'll drain it, clean it, put some other stuff in and see if that fixes it.

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Having this problem now, is this sensor hard to change out?

PalmettoAutobot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The the sensor is not hard to change out, just annoying, I did it and still refilled with the RAIN-X All-Season/Deicer and still had the issue with a new sensor, Its the RAIN-X winter formulas that case a problem, i have found that SPLASH All-Season Purple fluid works well in the winter, similar properties to RAIN-X.
To get to the sensor its at the back and bottom of the bottle. How i got to it was remove the black guard at the top of the engine, and the front grill, they all were held in by plastic plugs. the bottle was held in by 1 or 2 screws, if i can remember, and the sensor is plugged into the bottom. if you have a lift you might be able to get to it from under weather (but did not try this).
I say an easier way instead of taking apart everything would be to drain the washer bottle with a syphon and fill the bottle with a gallon of clean water (even hot water if you are in the cold climates), then drain again, do this a couple of times to so when you syphon the water out is mainly clear and not orange from the rain x, then after a couple of times, put in a different cold weather washer fluid, like SPLASH All-Season (purple). Hope this helps.

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Will try that, thanks for the input

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357