Windshield Wiper Chatter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redfox458

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all - first time forum poster here.

I own a 2015 1500 Laramie that I bought about 2 years ago from a local lot (not a Ram dealer). I did find via carfax that the original owner leased the vehicle from the Utah area, so it's seen some more severe weather than what it would in the Pacific NW. I noticed that the windshield was pitted pretty bad, the wipers chattered, and the wiper motor itself wasn't making the prettiest of sounds. I still purchased the truck because at that time it was hard to find another one like it. I've replaced the windshield, the wiper motor and linkage and multiple different wiper blade types and brands. I still have a pretty noisy wiper chatter no matter how clean the windshield and wiper blades are. The only thing I have not replaced yet are the wiper arms, but I had my local Ram dealer inspect the arms specifically and they said they couldn't find a single thing wrong with them, but also noted that there is some "excessive wiper blade noise". Both blades create the equal amount of noise. I've also adjusted both wiper arms multiple times with no real notable improvement.

I should also state that I've even tried PIAA wiper blades which worked good for about 10ish days and then chattered and skipped like all the other blades. PIAA customer service was great and gave me a 100% refund.

What's your advice? Should I just spend the money on new factory wiper arms and hope that's the final thing to replace? I've only been hesitant to replace them because the previous dealership couldn't find any issues with them.

Thank you!!

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

I own a 2015 1500 Laramie that I bought about 2 years ago from a local lot (not a Ram dealer). I did find via carfax that the original owner leased the vehicle from the Utah area, so it's seen some more severe weather than what it would in the Pacific NW. I noticed that the windshield was pitted pretty bad, the wipers chattered, and the wiper motor itself wasn't making the prettiest of sounds. I still purchased the truck because at that time it was hard to find another one like it. I've replaced the windshield, the wiper motor and linkage and multiple different wiper blade types and brands. I still have a pretty noisy wiper chatter no matter how clean the windshield and wiper blades are. The only thing I have not replaced yet are the wiper arms, but I had my local Ram dealer inspect the arms specifically and they said they couldn't find a single thing wrong with them, but also noted that there is some "excessive wiper blade noise". Both blades create the equal amount of noise. I've also adjusted both wiper arms multiple times with no real notable improvement.

I should also state that I've even tried PIAA wiper blades which worked good for about 10ish days and then chattered and skipped like all the other blades. PIAA customer service was great and gave me a 100% refund.

What's your advice? Should I just spend the money on new factory wiper arms and hope that's the final thing to replace? I've only been hesitant to replace them because the previous dealership couldn't find any issues with them.

Thank you!!
I would clean the windscreen thoroughly. Then apply a quality wax to the windscreen. If the wax helps, keep applying. Do you possess a quality liquid or paste wax?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

Redfox458

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would clean the windscreen thoroughly. Then apply a quality wax to the windscreen. If the wax helps, keep applying. Do you possess a quality liquid or paste wax?

I do, I was just hesitant to apply anything to the windshield (besides normal cleaners) since I have the automatic wipers I'd like to try and keep (manual states to not use any coatings on it).

I'd just like for it to operate like any of my other vehicles I've owned. I'm assuming it didn't do this when new, so I'd like to restore the factory operation, if possible.

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you apply the wax and the chatter ceases, the windscreen may require replacement

Noneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500 Laramie. 35's 2 inch level. Raceme. Fully deleted 5 inch FlowPro Exh
Engine
6.7 Cummins
He already replaced the windshield. I doubt replacement again is the cure. I use rain x and have had no issues with the automatic wipers on my truck. Maybe give that a try? If nothing else it will decrease your wiper use but maybe that coating will also help to quiet the chatter. Just curious did it chatter with the old windshield? Is the replacement an OEM windshield? (not that I believe it would matter.)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 K&N Cold Air Intake.

Thank you!!

Try using rain x washer fluid so you get a continuous repellant coating on the windshield and see if that helps too

OP
OP
R

Redfox458

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He already replaced the windshield. I doubt replacement again is the cure. I use rain x and have had no issues with the automatic wipers on my truck. Maybe give that a try? If nothing else it will decrease your wiper use but maybe that coating will also help to quiet the chatter. Just curious did it chatter with the old windshield? Is the replacement an OEM windshield? (not that I believe it would matter.)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It’s not the OEM/factory glass but I was told by the company that did it that it’s the same manufacturer as OEM and it was a fraction of the cost. Saved me hundreds of dollars. For what it’s worth though, the wipers chatter the same with both pieces of glass.

And I like Rain-X, I was sad to not use it with the Ram. I had no idea that it could potentially work with the sensor. I used it all the time with my last truck, it’s a good starting point.

And yes before anybody asks I’ve also adjusted the arms many, many times.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Try twisting the wiper arm (flat metal part) just before the connection to the blade. The blades need to meet the windshield at a 90 degree angle. Also need to make sure there is no film or waxes on the glass. use something like Bar keepers Friend, glass cooktop cleaner or clay bar it.

Last edited:

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Once a year I clean the glass with regular old Ajax Cleanser and a sponge. I ceramic coat the windshield which is similar to Rain X as far as the glass goes.

You can also check that the blades are making even contact with the glass by turning the key and the wipers on then turning the key off while the blades are as vertical as you can get them.

One last thing is the type of blade your using, thin summer blades
or the heavier winter blades, the heavier blade might not chatter as much?

Good luck.

Bowzer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Sold off the '18...maybe another soon.
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My experience in the past (with other vehicles) is some residue is causing the chatter. In my case it was a light residue of tree sap. And once on the glass, it transferred to the wiper blades so felt like I never could get a fix even after washing the bajeebers out of that windshield...wipers would just re-apply the sap after washing.

Just FYI for perspective. Maybe you're getting something on there you haven't caught? Could even be something from the washer fluid, etc, re-coating after you've switched out those parts.

It is annoying...but I don't think it's your hardware.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Why take a dealer's word about the arms?
You've replaced everything but them and are still having problems.
Remove them and inspect the spines on the wiper shafts then buy new arms.

Rebelrouser

Reaction score
Ram Year
'22 Ram 1500 GT
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know if this is related but I'm finding that the Ram wiper(s) are not the best especially in winter driving conditions. My wife's Cherokee, in my opinion, has the best wiper system out there. The wiper arms are solid right up to the actual wiper blade. Even my wife has commented on how not well they work. In the summer great as I hardly use them- windshield is coated w/ RainX. Come winter they are a pain. Anyone using quality winter blades they would suggest.......

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Anyone using quality winter blades they would suggest.......
I run Bosch ICONs year round on a couple of vehicles, all work excellent in all conditions and get several years out of them.
The only ones I change for the winter is the work van as the 28" blade has a tendency to break if they freeze to windshield.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
X2 on the Bosch Icons.

Rebelrouser

Reaction score
Ram Year
'22 Ram 1500 GT
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a question/thought. Is it possible to change the springs in the wiper to ones with more tension? Like I said- just a question/thought.

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s not the OEM/factory glass but I was told by the company that did it that it’s the same manufacturer as OEM and it was a fraction of the cost. Saved me hundreds of dollars. For what it’s worth though, the wipers chatter the same with both pieces of glass.

And I like Rain-X, I was sad to not use it with the Ram. I had no idea that it could potentially work with the sensor. I used it all the time with my last truck, it’s a good starting point.

And yes before anybody asks I’ve also adjusted the arms many, many times.
Use the original RainX product that requires elbow grease to apply, not the washer fluid. Not only will they not chatter, you will rarely need to use them. I'm up north in the snow belt, and have relied on the original RainX (or equivalent) for decades. Zero complaints.

Bowzer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Sold off the '18...maybe another soon.
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Use the original RainX product that requires elbow grease to apply, not the washer fluid. Not only will they not chatter, you will rarely need to use them. I'm up north in the snow belt, and have relied on the original RainX (or equivalent) for decades. Zero complaints.

It was years ago I tried RainX and used the "Elbow Grease" version. It did a great job of beading and deflecting water as claimed. But I always fought with a foggy film. Sometimes just a nuisance quarter second of glaze after the wiper pass. Other times, a constant film that got downright dangerous. Maybe something was getting on their with it to cause the residue issues, not sure.

Anyone using RainX still get that effect?

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do see something like that once in a while. I always wonder if it's related to the carwash final coating.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
X 2 on replacing the wiper arms the springs take a beating, Utah uses a sand/ salt mix.