Windshield wipers have no intermittent function

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by Yeret, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Yeret

Yeret The Village Drunk

Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
    Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 Magnum
    This is a problem that started a couple months ago and now that it's finally getting warm again, it's time to fix it. Basically, my windshield wipers will only work if I set the switch to low or high speed. The wipers do not work at all in intermittent mode.

From what I've read, the problem seems to be either the multifunction switch or the timer module but I'm not sure which I should be looking at. I had replaced both parts a few years ago in an attempt to fix a pesky "No bus" problem, which was ultimately resolved after replacing the timer module.

I've got a rocky history with O'Reilly parts but can't rule out the used timer module (can't buy those things new apparently). Problem is, I don't know which one I should be looking at and neither of those parts are cheap. Got too much stuff going on to play the old "swaptronics" game.

Is there some kind of diagnostic testing that I can do to isolate the problem?

2. dapepper9

dapepper9 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9L V8
    No clue here. I had similar problems with mine a few years ago except mine would work in intermittent for a little bit but would randomly quit. And the problem went away. I think i may have replaced the multifunction switch at one point but i don't remember. I never really paid attention to it. So i have no idea

3. Yeret

Yeret The Village Drunk

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 Magnum
    Well, I tried to find my old wiper switch to test if that was the problem or not, but of course, I couldn't find it. I must've thrown it out while cleaning out the barn.

However, I did notice that, with power on, if I turn the switch to intermittent wipers, I can clearly hear the wiper relay clicking closed but the wipers did not actuate. Did it a few more times and I could hear the relay closing every time but the wipers still didn't actuate. This is leading me to look at the timer module. Just sucks that one can't buy these brand new and I've already replaced it once (which fixed my pesky "No bus" problem).

4. Yeret

Yeret The Village Drunk

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 Magnum
    Got a different timer module and installed it earlier but problem is not fixed. Swapped the wiper relay but still nothing. With power on, if I turn the switch to intermittent mode, I can hear the wiper relay click but after about one second, I hear it click again.

After doing a little reading, I'm thinking the problem may be the parking switch, especially since if I turn the wipers off, they immediately stop irregardless of where they are in their travel arc.

Not having much luck looking for a replacement for this switch. Is this one of those deals that's integrated into the motor and I'm going to have to replace the entire wiper motor?

5. DodgeTx

DodgeTx Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
    I'm not quite sure on if its built in to me seems like a problem with the switch even if the relay is making noise. I think I have a spare one of these in my garage that I can take apart if youd like and post pics?

6. Yeret

Yeret The Village Drunk

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 Magnum
    Yeah, I'll fiddle with it this weekend and see what I can come up with.

7. ErnieBoling

ErnieBoling Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.7L Cummins
    I had the exact same problem. Rain sensing wipers quit working, no intermittent, just lo/hi function. I fixed mine by total accident. On the passenger side, I popped the cover off of the end of the dash to access the cab light wires to run running board lights. Noticed a connector was loose, and snapped it together. Everything started working. I have no idea why/how this connector wasn't fully engaged, but it worked. That also fixed the problem on my rear view mirror. There was a red light on all the time next to the "911". Once the connector was seated the red light went away.

8. Hank0331

Hank0331 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 Magnum (360)
    I had this exact problem after replacing the original multifunction switch. Everything worked fine for a week or two and then the wipers would only swing when switched to constant low or high and would just stop where ever they were when turned off. I got the replacement switch installed today and everything works as it should again.