Winter Grill Cover on 6.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wyo2track

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi w/ 4.10's
Anyone using one during the winter months? We've been in full winter mode the last few weeks. Nigh time temps have been in that 5 to -6 range and as low as -22 so far. I just wanted to share an observation, see what everyone else with a 6.4 in cold weather is witnessing. Pulling our snowmachines (~2500k#) 20 miles home last night it was 3 and truck oil temp never got above 195 on the digital display. I idled it for 20 minutes to warm the cab up before we headed down the road. Cab heat is good, no problems there. Coolant temps on the digital where the same as the oil, which, after warm up, are usually 10-15 degrees cooler than the digital oil display. I've always seen that oil temps are 10-15 degrees lower when the air temps are cold and efficiency (mpg) goes downhill. It seems there is an air temperature range around 20-25 degrees where the truck hits that 205 range where it is most efficient. Its just real noticeable in cold air temps and I was thinking that I would see oil temps above 200 when towing due to the added resistance. Any thoughts/opinions out there? Thought a winter cover may help.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
it may help, 95% of the time u just see them on diesels, but given the temps u are operating in it may be beneficial for you to go ahead and toss one on. If I was in that situation, i would give it a go and see if it helps. just my 02 cents

OP
OP
wyo2track

wyo2track

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi w/ 4.10's
it may help, 95% of the time u just see them on diesels, but given the temps u are operating in it may be beneficial for you to go ahead and toss one on. If I was in that situation, i would give it a go and see if it helps. just my 02 cents

Use the poor boy. Card board. If it works then buy the cover.

Yup. Card board.

GREAT....!!! Cardboard...!! Well that will look sharp! Can't all be brown though...think I'll get my daughter to bling it up a bit...she's good at drawing flowers and stuff with pink..lol. Maybe just some chrome tape! Thanks for all the knowledge here guys. :emotions122: So you prefer zip ties or double back tape... :roflsquared: Or maybe I should go all out with some 2" Velcro :peace:

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I guess I didn't know it was beauty contest.

May not be pretty, but it's effective.

Rattle can it black. It goes behind the grill, in front of the radiator. Won't know it's there unless looming for it.

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
Having a nine mile downhill run starting from my driveway to town, can reach the bottom of the hill and still be just slightly, if any, warmed. Last winter I purchased a nice Ram grill cover. It does seem to help with the warm up time. Did use it much of last winter and with the cooling system on the 6.4, never had any overheat problems even with a warm day or two in the 50's. Also looks better than cardboard. lol Was very easy to install. They recommended, if I remember correctly, removing the lower valance to install the lower snaps. I had no problem with drilling the clips in place. Just use a good drill bit and go slow. Looks good and comes off easily. Oh ya, it also has a flap that can be opened on a warmer day. I did do that. Thanks for the reminder. Need to snap mine on.

Jrp267

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you rattle can it black, as said above, and cut to fit you will never know its there.

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
GREAT....!!! Cardboard...!! Well that will look sharp! Can't all be brown though...think I'll get my daughter to bling it up a bit...she's good at drawing flowers and stuff with pink..lol. Maybe just some chrome tape! Thanks for all the knowledge here guys. :emotions122: So you prefer zip ties or double back tape... :roflsquared: Or maybe I should go all out with some 2" Velcro :peace:

Seems to me like a decent suggestion... Most would say yeah, just go ahead and buy this, that and the other thing. **** it isn't our money so of course you should buy it!

Rather than being an ass maybe you should consider some advice before spouting off...

hell i ran a chunk of rattle can black card board on my previous cummins pretty much every year... it did the exact same thing at WAY less cost...

and by the way, i zip tied mine... :flipthebird::flipthebird:

OP
OP
wyo2track

wyo2track

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi w/ 4.10's
Seems to me like a decent suggestion... Most would say yeah, just go ahead and buy this, that and the other thing. **** it isn't our money so of course you should buy it!

Rather than being an ass maybe you should consider some advice before spouting off...

If you look I 'liked' every post in this thread before you flipped me off. I do appreciate the suggestion of using cardboard. It certainly would work. Perhaps my sense of humor didn't come through in my words. But, hey, right back at you buddy....:flipthebird: :flipthebird: ...glad we found some common ground.

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
If you look I 'liked' every post in this thread before you flipped me off. I do appreciate the suggestion of using cardboard. It certainly would work. Perhaps my sense of humor didn't come through in my words. But, hey, right back at you buddy....:flipthebird: :flipthebird: ...glad we found some common ground.

:flipthebird::flipthebird::flipthebird::flipthebird::flipthebird::flipthebird::flipthebird::flipthebird::flipthebird::flipthebird::flipthebird::flipthebird:

OP
OP
wyo2track

wyo2track

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi w/ 4.10's
LOL....haha... These forum threads sure are entertaining. :Big Laugh:

Besides the grill cover, I think I'm going to start at the air filter. Going to remove the K&N air filter and put the OEM paper filter back in. See if there isn't any difference in temps between the paper and 'high flow' oiled cotton. Less air, higher temps....? My bet is I won't see much difference.

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
I dont think you are going to see any difference there.

a gas engine (naturally aspirated at least) doesn't take in all that much air to really affect that i wouldn't think.

covering up a part of the grille to eliminate air flow across radiators and then engine itself is going to be your biggest help.

You could buy the winter cover that the cummins uses and give it a shot though...