Wireless CarPlay Won’t Connect?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Have you tried to connect Uconnect under your phones Hotspot access?
CarPlay uses an ad-hoc peer-to-peer WiFi communication to the iPhone, it can also connect to a regular WiFi network simultaneously. So it only appears to connect through the vehicle hotspot.

js12278

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you suggesting that Uconnect is capable of connecting to a wifi hotspot created by a cell phone?

Please post the directions how this is accomplished.

I was just making a suggestion. I'm not sure if it does or doesn't. My truck only has wired AA/CP.

js12278

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
CarPlay uses an ad-hoc peer-to-peer WiFi communication to the iPhone, it can also connect to a regular WiFi network simultaneously. So it only appears to connect through the vehicle hotspot.
I was thinking the Ram system mirrored the phone that is connected and only the apps that are permitted. The aftermarket wireless devices for AA/CP appear to use the phone's hotspot, that is why I suggested it.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I was thinking the Ram system mirrored the phone that is connected and only the apps that are permitted. The aftermarket wireless devices for AA/CP appear to use the phone's hotspot, that is why I suggested it.
AndroidAuto and CarPlay basically work the same way, it's an app that runs on the phone that allows third party apps to run in a specific capacity through a vehicle infotainment system. Both use a Bluetooth handoff to an ad-hoc WiFi connection for wireless. The connection protocol is the same whether it's the OEM radio or an aftermarket dongle. Almost all WiFi systems are MiMo which allows for multiple simultaneous connections, like Internet and peer-to-peer.

Madhuntri

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just got off phone with Ram Connected Services. They suggested a soft reset of Uconnect: hold power button down for 10 seconds, until the screen reboots. Worked for me. Wireless CarPlay is reconnected.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thought my 2020 Limited had everything....until i found out my Uconnect was version 4 and they didn't add wireless car play until version 5. I also read that "some" 2022's still had the Version 4 Uconnect in them. ( i question that ) Why would they only do some?

I'm still trying to figure out where to find my Uconnect information...nothing shows in the APP feature.