Uconnect 5 8.4” UBD in 4th Gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deester4x4jr

Reaction score
Hey all. Just bought a 2017 1500 Limited. I’ve been researching upgrade options for supporting wireless apple carplay. Seems like a considerable amount of effort has gone into jamming the large 12” Uconnect 5 screens from the 5th gens into the dash of a 4th gen, but I can’t find any threads on installing the 5th gen 8.4 units. I looked on infotainment and found the UBD unit, that seems to be what I would want, and the corresponding part number from Mopar is 68453844AF. I can’t imagine this would be MORE difficult than the 12”. Any idea why it hasn’t been done, or at least posted about? Or do I just suck at searching…

Relevant links:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Any idea why it hasn’t been done, or at least posted about?
There's not much to gain going with the 8.4" UConnect 5 in a Gen4 truck over using a UAS or UAQ radio from an '18 or newer Gen4. At least with the 12" screen your getting a much bigger display. Make note that AA or CP does not go full screen on the 12" (yet).
To get wireless AndroidAuto or CarPlay in your Gen4, do a UAS or UAQ upgrade and add a wireless module that plugs into the media USB. I have this set-up in my '15, I run AndroidAuto. This is probably a less expensive route to have wireless AA or CP then attempting a UConnect 5 upgrade.

OP
OP
D

Deester4x4jr

Reaction score
Hard for me to see that logic. Unless I’m looking at the wrong part numbers, the UBD is the same or similar price as the UAS, w/ native wireless AA and CP support… feels like a pretty big gain in my book. No additional adapters, or dongles, not cutting of the dash. Is the work to get it to talk to the vehicle that complicated?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Hard for me to see that logic. Unless I’m looking at the wrong part numbers, the UBD is the same or similar price as the UAS, w/ native wireless AA and CP support… feels like a pretty big gain in my book. No additional adapters, or dongles, not cutting of the dash. Is the work to get it to talk to the vehicle that complicated?
Lots of little issues that infoT is leaving out with that 5th Gen upgrade in the earlier 4th gen ... BuCam not working (with the Aptiv/Delphi units if I recall correctly), steering wheel audio controls not working, CanBus messaging issues that would require a custom CanBus interface module to correct, and a few others I can't recall.
They have never really gotten the SW right/working consistently on their 4c Seat Interface Module for the 13-15 trucks that was supposed to make on screen seat controls work with the 18/classic Panasonic 4c UAq/UAs radios... works for some, but not all.

Stick with a 2018/19-21 Classic UAq/ UAs as mentioned. More things work correctly.

Edit: I do happen to have a practically New 4c UAs (built this year) if needed.

(But that is not the reason for the above info. )

Last edited:

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
One other thing depending on where you source your radio from, some of the 2018 units had a delamination problem, you can search the word "delamination" and read about it in detail. I put a 2019 UAS unit in my 2018 2500 with a harness from M²Mods and had no problem whatsoever. Good luck

GeorgeRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve upgraded to UBD Uconnect 5 from infotainment. Definitely nice to have CarPlay. Added Sirius xm as well. No nav and usb hub is just for power. Not happy about. Interface is good with he car