Wobbling steering wheel stud. Is it supposed to be like that?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CrazyKGB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Out of nowhere my '84 D150 steering column became really wobbly, so i thought its the usual deal and needed few screws to have tightened. Upon taking off the wheel I noticed it was very wobbly. Can any experts tell me if this is fixable or I need a new steering rod/column/stud ?
Please see video

Ed Brock

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 & 2015
Engine
318 & 3.0 Diesel
No that is not normal, as I'm sure you know. Most likely problem is the upper and in your case also the lower shaft bearing. I have the same issue on my '85 W150. I asked this site for some help and so far have no responces.
I'm looking for the bearings, part numbers, exploded view with ledger again, still waiting and still looking. The upper bearing looks like a bicyle steering steem bearing. Meaning it is a ball bearing type. Our local bearing house is looking for a substute roller bearing. Again, no luck.
Can I contact you when I learn anything?

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
No that is not normal, as I'm sure you know. Most likely problem is the upper and in your case also the lower shaft bearing. I have the same issue on my '85 W150. I asked this site for some help and so far have no responces.
I'm looking for the bearings, part numbers, exploded view with ledger again, still waiting and still looking. The upper bearing looks like a bicyle steering steem bearing. Meaning it is a ball bearing type. Our local bearing house is looking for a substute roller bearing. Again, no luck.
Can I contact you when I learn anything?

if you're talking about the top shaft bearing, I rebuilt my 1978 column with Mopar bearing 2265656 and isolator 2925491. Amazon lists it compatible up to 1990

Amazon.com: Mopar Brg Assy Strg Column - 2265656: Automotive

u2slow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6BTA
The visible spring, and lock plate you removed compress together to take all the slack out of the bearings.

You can't assess the 'slop' taken apart like that. It could be fine.

FWIW, I've rebuilt dozens of GM tilt columns just like that one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio