DIY: 2013-2014 OEM Steering Wheel Audio Control Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stagetwo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here ya go...is this what you needed?
E03B3760-DD99-4417-8A9B-3D0D37074D03.jpeg

NovaScotia Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Got this done today. The only thing left to test is the hands-free phone controls. Once I get the 8.4" harness from m2mods I'll be able to test it all.

I was pretty intimidated messing with the airbag and clockspring, but the hardest part was actually getting the new harness to lay in the proper position to get the two bezels to clip back together.

Thank you to this forum for giving me the confidence to tackle all of these projects.

tnctx02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM SLT
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
Got my steering wheel controls here to install and this has been very helpful information. What is the clockspring? And what do I need to do to it when I pull the steering wheel.
Thanks for any and all assistance.

RonVez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey
Got the Center Console mounted,mics and a extra rear Dome,wires for Powered Visors as well(should get visors in 7-10 days)
Cutting thru Head Liner with Box Knife easy enough,Just watch the sizing,constantly trial fit,PITA but worth it
Shut Phone off so NO miss cuts,
Wired in but unfortunately the Connecting Harness in the "A" Pillar isn't wired too the Radio
So Hopefully can find Harness to continue run from Pillar to ????????
Dont like idea of going to Dealer so if any 1 knows where can find be most Helpfull

Jnull

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
My buddy wants me to add this kit to his 2014 2500 hemi with the 3.0 radio I think. I read somewhere 2014s need flashed is that true?

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
My buddy wants me to add this kit to his 2014 2500 hemi with the 3.0 radio I think. I read somewhere 2014s need flashed is that true?
No- it is plug and play.

Capozzoli

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Hey, Just about to work on this but am wondering what the torque specs are for the steering wheel retaining bolt? Anyone have that available?

Philav

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM 2500
Engine
I'm not strong enough to turn steering wheel without the switch being on. I'm old ok.
I was wondering if you can unclip the airbag without removing it and them unhook the battery. I have the Lisle airbag removal tool.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I'm not strong enough to turn steering wheel without the switch being on. I'm old ok.
I was wondering if you can unclip the airbag without removing it and them unhook the battery. I have the Lisle airbag removal tool.
Jack the front end up.... It will allow the wheels to turn easier even with the battery disconnected/key off

M² Mods.

tnctx02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM SLT
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
Hey, Just about to work on this but am wondering what the torque specs are for the steering wheel retaining bolt? Anyone have that available?
I just tightened mine down.

tnctx02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM SLT
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
That airbag tool is a lifesaver! I have removed mine 3 times and once you feel where the clip is, it is so easy.

Rambolt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I plan on doing this swap and have a couple of questions. I purchased a 2013 leather sport wheel with everything but the gear- & gear+ on the speed control switch and my current wheel has the feature. Can I just swap out the speed control switch into the sport wheel without issues and functionality? I don't need a different harness?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I plan on doing this swap and have a couple of questions. I purchased a 2013 leather sport wheel with everything but the gear- & gear+ on the speed control switch and my current wheel has the feature. Can I just swap out the speed control switch into the sport wheel without issues and functionality? I don't need a different harness?
Yes, its a plug and play swap for the front controls. The harness is the same.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
What are the chances of you messing up the clock spring when doing this?
Pull the wheel straight off and don't spin the wheel/clock spring behind it and you should be good to go. I also mark the wheel/shaft with a sharpie to make sure it goes on exactly the same. You will see the little tab on the clock spring assy that goes into the opening of the wheel from the back when you pull it off. Use the gear puller from autozone or similar mentioned in the op.

M² Mods.
(via Tapatalk App)

Adam1925

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
What do you mean by don’t spin the wheel/clock spring, as I’m taking it off with the wheel puller don’t let the wheel move and just take it off straight?

tnctx02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM SLT
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
What do you mean by don’t spin the wheel/clock spring, as I’m taking it off with the wheel puller don’t let the wheel move and just take it off straight?
Yes. Pull the wheel straight off.

Goodbadger

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 v6 Pentastar
I just installed mine. No problem with the clock spring, but when the stereo first powered up, no back up camera or SiriusXM. Left it alone for an hour and everything came back online. Works great!

toby7362

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Hello all,
This thread has been absolutely amazing. Thank you ALL for every outlook of this mod. I just purchased a 2019 1500 Classic and want to buy a leather wheel with controls built in. As said, it seems that it will be plug and play with no added wiring harness. Can you confirm that?

Also, can you confirm the years of steering wheels that will fit my truck? I need to know what used parts will fit. I do have the 8.4 UConnect And plastic wheel has the mic, phone, and other controls on front…just no volume and channel controls. To be honest, I thought it did have them until I couldn’t find them so now I am so thankful for you all.

I really appreciate the help…

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357