Wondering if I should change out the lifters (160k mi)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wonder how *big* of a problem the lifter/cam issue is? There must be millions of trucks and cars on the road with 5.7's, some with high mileage I have to imagine. I bet a large percentage of cam/lifter failure-ridden vehicle owners come to this site for answer and understanding making it seem like perhaps more of a problem than it truly may be.

Still, with 160k on my truck, wondering weather a guy should consider replacing the lifters before the cam gets eaten up ...just because it would be a lot less work and cost. I plan to keep the truck for several more years, but don't put more than 5k-6k on a year. I could do all the work myself. But is it even worth bothering? Might go 200k w/o any problems...

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wonder how *big* of a problem the lifter/cam issue is? There must be millions of trucks and cars on the road with 5.7's, some with high mileage I have to imagine. I bet a large percentage of cam/lifter failure-ridden vehicle owners come to this site for answer and understanding making it seem like perhaps more of a problem than it truly may be.

Still, with 160k on my truck, wondering weather a guy should consider replacing the lifters before the cam gets eaten up ...just because it would be a lot less work and cost. I plan to keep the truck for several more years, but don't put more than 5k-6k on a year. I could do all the work myself. But is it even worth bothering? Might go 200k w/o any problems...

What do you guys think?
This is just my thinking and I'm not sure if it's because I'm an old fart or just because my engine experience has been more around flat tappet lifters. If you're going to replace the lifters cam should be replaced too. The lifters run on the cam so any wear that you're lifters have will be creating a wear pattern on you're cam. Besides, since you've got it that far down why not do the job right and be done with it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks. I'm not sure it matters on roller lifters. Flat tappets rotate from the cam angle, rollers, the lifters don't rotate. If you've seen the job, removing the cam is a LOT more work. But I get your point and understand where you're coming from. Ultimately you're right that it would be more complete to repl the cam too. I'm wondering if I'm over-thinking it and it makes sense to just wait it out and see?

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
It’s a good idea, but it’s debatable whether it’s worth it. I would use it as an excuse to the wife to get a new cam and tuner though :)

I Bleed Ram Trucks

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Man its alot of work putting in new lifters since the heafs have to come off.
If it was as easy as a old small block it might be a great idea.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi

What do you guys think?

Just saw a contractor with 460,000 miles on his 5.7 and no major issues. That sold me on leaving them alone. There also has been a recent post here that showed 460,000 on his truck. Old saying- If it ain't broke don't fix it.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My brother-in-law has a 2008 Magnum with a 5.7. 300,000 miles, valve covers have never been off. Let sleeping dogs lie, do regular oil changes.

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Use good oil and filters. You should be fine. If it breaks, fix it.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Met a guy who maintains 5 Ram 2500's with Hemis, he does all of the construction for Chick-fil-A Nationwide. He runs every one of his trucks up to 450,000 miles before he trades them out, and he has had no issues at all with the Hemi engine.

He tried using Chevy trucks, but they could not hold up to the challenge.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you haven't had an issue for 160000 miles, my thought is, you are not going to have a lifter/ cam issue.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you haven't had an issue for 160000 miles, my thought is, you are not going to have a lifter/ cam issue.

I would say this is likely the case. From what I've read the ones of them that are going to go end up going around 100,000. You've made it well past that mark.

This is why I really don't believe the cam/lifter issue is as big of a problem as people on here think. It's a form of bias... lots of people come to forums when they have issues or need advice, but if everything is running fine they don't report "Hit 160,000mi today, no problems."

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juanita Kelley