Won't start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HANSOME

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 1500
Engine
I have had the battery on a trickle charge for about a year, while I was working away from home. Truck won't start now. When I reinstalled the battery, it seemed fine and showed 12.3 volts, but when I turned the key it made a loud click and the power seats made a loud click every second or so until I turned off the key. My plan is to recharge the battery, and disconnect the seat fuses to see if I can get it to crank. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
you might have a few dead cells in the battery. i would try and jump start the truck with another vehicle.

I had an old battery in previous truck. Showed 12 volts, trickle charged just fine. But once that charger was removed.... Nothing, few clicks, maybe the 1 rotation of the engine, and nothing.

OP
OP
HANSOME

HANSOME

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 1500
Engine
I took it to the auto shop. The said it was fine, 600 amps cranking. Why would it activate the seat? weird.

ViolentMouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Do you have the version with the seatbelts that are in the seat itself? there is a mechanism in there that is powered by the key. not sure what it is, but I had a 2500 with it and the seatbelt would lock until i turned the key on, then it would click and release the belt.

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
If the battery is older than 4-5 years, replace it anyway.

As for not cranking, if its not the battery than i bet its the starter solenoid. Give a few taps with a hammer on the solenoid and turn the key. dont smack it, tap it.

Magnets sitting for long periods of time tend to need some persuasion to get moving again