Would you buy a 2014 2500 6.4 with 270k on it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brickman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
if You did a Vin # check- not through car fax, but through a independent company and if they have paperwork on everything that was done on it , well then it might be a good deal.
I was thinking of selling my 2010 Dodge Ram Laramie crew 2500 with a hemi , truck has 189,000 miles on it but I just paid for brand new engine ( dodge screwed me on my max warranty) , I paid out of pocket for that $8500, new tires, ball joints and new steering column- all together $13,000 which should have been covered under warranty, but hey looking at new trucks like I have, just can’t spend 50-60,000 for one - I have all my paperwork from beginning, I would probably sell out right than trade in

waynestractor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree with many others on the no. If it was a Cummins I would have no worries, my '07 2500 has 394,000kms and other than the typical Dodge rust is a very solid truck and drives perfect!

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well guess I'll join the majority. No.

I have owned a lot if vehicles in my life. Trucks included. I maintained then properly. Some were 200k plus.

But I would not buy any of my old vehicles lol

If you insist in pursuing it for whatever reason. Your choice of course. Have them put it up on a lift. Check it out. Better yet take to a mechanic you trust.

Best of luck either way.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Any feedback? Dealer is asking 14k. It is a mega cab laramie.
Have you tried getting the Carfax for that truck? Mine is a 2014 1500 with over 200K and it showed extensive maintenance and it has always been in CA, so no rust. I'm the 2nd owner.

The dealer shall not mind if you take a peek under the hood and do a test drive.
1. The engine build date can be found on the heads and the block near the accy belt, it will only show day and year in DDDY format. Mine shows 2088A = July 27, 2018. My engine was replaced in September, so the dates on the heads and block make sense.
2. Transmission build date can be found on a white label on the driver's side. There must be at least 2 lines of characters, take the top line that shows 4 or letters followed by numbers. You want the first 4 numbers that follow the letters. Those are Julian dates in DDDY format. I attached pictures of my truck for reference. My transmission shows 3213 date = Nov 17, 2013. That matches my truck's build date of Nov 19, 2013 so my transmission has never been replaced. Source: http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2006/21-007-06.htm
Also have a look at the radiator and other items you may get a look for a MFD label. That can give you an idea whether the truck has had vital and expensive items replaced.
If the engine and transmission are the factory ones I'd reserve some $$$ for the future and try to knock at least $2k from that price.

Good luck.07bbc9efacff9833252dcfcd3b847153.jpg6655ae3288b21de974856074961e4c05.jpg

Sent from OnePlus 7 PRO using Tapatalk

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
If it was in PA but came from a non winter road maintenance state, I would buy it tonight.

The mega cab and the Laramie trim make this worth it.

The crap about it being a Cummins, the rest of the truck is the same...the 6.4l goes through the same tests as the Cummins, and is a whole lot cheaper to fix.

It would be merry Christmas to me, if everything was rust free and clean.

If it is from a rust state, that would change it slightly if it was clean and minimal exposure.

There are lots of things that make this a deal,
Probably highway miles, most likely didn't sit around idling, the mega cab.

If the seats look taken care of, the above mentioned things check out and you can get an idea of what has been fixed...you might have a much near to knew truck than say one with 95k(if you get what I mean)

I am in the middle minority I see, but I would be posting pics of it tomorrow out driving through the snow on the mountain with the kids stretched out in the back.

Look at how many guys just bought 72k Laramie mega cabs and they are sitting at the dealer with issues.

If your not buying it cause it is cheap and hoping it runs forever, but rather buying it because you want it and can fix it too....that's like 21k of a truck for free

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you're capable of doing mechanical work and it's been taken care and relatively rust free then why not. Low mileage drivetrain parts are readily available and not terribly expensive. If you don't have an alternate vehicle and down time will be an issue though it may not be the best idea.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
If it is from a rust state, that would change it slightly if it was clean and minimal exposure.

I believe Idaho uses salt on their roads (here in Oregon we don't.) This means you're probably going to be on the lookout for a little rust at least.

No way I'd pay $14k for the thing, though, KBB be damned. You're looking to have at least $10k saved aside for a new engine and tranny (yeah, likely both unless the previous owner was religious about that fluid/filter change in the tranny) at the very least, plus I bet that a fine-toothed comb would reveal the need for new ball joints, driveshaft U-joints, maybe wheel bearings (at least a repack for safety's sake, though they're cheap enough to just swap out since you're all up in there anyway), and just for peace of mind I would pop the pumpkin on the back and look real close at the gearing as well given that kind of odo reading. Wouldn't hurt to get a good look at the splines on the driveshaft while you're under there...

...and yeah, no way in Hades a dealership is gonna let you tear that deep into their truck before you buy it (you could rattle the ball joints to see if they move and maybe shove a magnet-on-a-stick into the back pumpkin, and certainly trace any exposed harnesses along the bottom for signs of chafing, but...)

Long story short? If it were me and I had a full-blown shop with all the goodies required to swap engine and tranny, I'd do it for around $8500, tops... the trim level means nothing to me offhand, save for more interior and gee-whiz stuff that I'll probably have to fix since it'll likely be close to worn-out.

I guess I'm just saying that it's an old truck... it'd make a nice hobby if you have the dosh, but I wouldn't expect it to become the next 1964-1/2 Ford Mustang level of collectable or anything, and with the money you're staring at throwing into the thing, you could buy a 2015-17 with around 20k miles on it for way cheaper than the $14k price + $10k powertrain + $2k(?) sundry drivetrain/suspension replacement bits...

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Screenshot_20191224-185856_Samsung Internet.jpg
2016 with 20k.

At 270k, there is a good chance all those wear items are new.

That said, there is a good chance with a truck with under 100k, you might have to replace those wear items too.

I guess we really need more info about the truck.

I would go in, check the truck out, get as much info as they will give and you can find with the internet.

Then go in with a crazy low offer and see what they come back with.

Has the OP been back? Lol

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could someone marry a ******? Sure. Should someone marry a ******? Personal choice, but beware the experience may cause problems in the future, sooner than one might hope.

If it were my truck and I'd put all the miles on it, I'd keep it. Fact is, I've got a 208k car that I put on the last 100k miles. Great car, but I would not buy it at 208k not knowing the history. Buying a truck with 270k of someone elses farts in the seat...well; you've got a stronger stomach than I. Or, put it in another way, 270k miles, racked up 6-inches at a time is a lot of 'worldly experience'.

bruce219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
Could someone marry a ******? Sure. Should someone marry a ******? Personal choice, but beware the experience may cause problems in the future, sooner than one might hope.

If it were my truck and I'd put all the miles on it, I'd keep it. Fact is, I've got a 208k car that I put on the last 100k miles. Great car, but I would not buy it at 208k not knowing the history. Buying a truck with 270k of someone elses farts in the seat...well; you've got a stronger stomach than I. Or, put it in another way, 270k miles, racked up 6-inches at a time is a lot of 'worldly experience'.
Perfect way to explain it Lmao

Octane

Reaction score
That thing breaks down just look what you'll have in it with a motor,tranny or rear end replacement.Not to mention electrical problems if they arise.Is it worth 14k if you can get only another 100k out of it problem free?

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
Bought my 2010 2500 5.7l Mega Cab with 270k for $14k this past summer. Smokin deal! Of course my "k" were kilometers, not miles. So more like 175k miles. I didn't expect perfection, figured I would have some repairs to do, but still almost half the cost of any other 4th gen mega cabs around here. I can do a lot of repairs with the difference in cost.

So far I've done rear bearings, rotors, pads, parking brakes, and have all the parts purchased to do the same on the front. Also bought a new seat bottom foam and replacement leather for the drivers side seat bottom, rest of the interior is in great shape. Engine hums like a sewing machine, shifts smooth, but will need a new muffler for a couple hundred bucks, after that, I think I will be done with repairs for a while.

If you are able to do these kinds of repairs yourself, I would consider it, but at a price near $10k. If you can't do these types of repairs yourself, I wouldn't buy it for one dollar.

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not for that price, now if it was much cheapo sure... I also wouldn’t but it unless it was a second vehicle. The good thing is most of the small parts have probably been replaced by now... the bad is well with that many miles it could be costly if one of the major components go but that what it would also be factored into the price I paid for the vehicle itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...e&sortType=undefined&sortDirection=undefined#

The search I used just to see some prices.

Seems like it is a good price...i agree i wouldn't want it if it was something that I had to spend all my paycheck to buy and have no money set aside for life...

I bought a 2013 Cummins in 2014. Oh it was gonna be great. Good thing I kept my 1999 Dodge 2500. I had to rely on it many times while that new Cummins spent time with the dealership and waiting on parts.

Guess I am jaded and do not mind a used truck...someone else can take that hit to only have their farts in the seat lol.

Now, how much is a trip to Idaho going to cost me:)