Wrench in the air duct!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Well, my 18 month old was with me in the truck while I was removing the radio and decided to stick a wrench down the air duct. So now I'm trying to figure out how exactly I'm going to get it out.

It appears that the upper ducts are removable but getting to whatever is holding them down will be a pain. About to pull the whole dash out. :(

OP
OP
Micchi

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
No, it dropped down to the bottom and there's no straight shot down to it. Trying to remove as little as possible to get the duct off.

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
drives or passangers side? If the passangers side you might be able to drop the blower (which is only 3 screws) and reach in there and grab it.

OP
OP
Micchi

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Thanks for the idea swamp. Haven't been able to get back out since the little guy is napping. That will be easier then removing the dash.

suzukiquadrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 , 2004
Engine
cummins 5.9, 6.6 duramax
this exact situation happened to me lol, from now on i rubber band paper towels or pieces of plastic over ducts, i followed the duct and used undid it, removed the wrench, i have used magnet on fishing line for a bolt i dropped in another time.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
A magnet on a string sounds like a good solution.

OP
OP
Micchi

Micchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Well, the magnet pick up tool I had was too long to make into the duct, luckily there's a big hole in my dash. So, I just pried the metal tab off of the duct and removed it.

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Well, the nice thing about the magnetic tools, is you can pick 'em up cheap at the local auto stores. I've got a couple, and I've got one i use exactly for something like this. Bought a cheap cheap one, and took the magnet out than wired it up on some fishing line and away it went, worked great. another tool that could be helpful is a grabber. they are usually a couple feet long, with a button on the end that extends 3 prongs to try and grab whatever it is you lost. they are fully flexible and come in handy, i don't know how many times I've used something like this. what would be nice is an electronic magnet, on the end of a flexible line. So you can send it down without the magnet being on, get to where the part is, and hit a button that turns on the magnet. that would be slick, but i think it would also be expansive...but for the right price i'd get it any day of the week.