WTS Light While Driving - Loss of Power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HcaTK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
EDIT: 2006 Ram 3500

EDIT 2: I guess I went dumb and COMPLETELY MISSED that almost every person ever with a common rail has this issue. I'm not sure what drove DC to push this firmware update, but it is now biting me in the ass. What finally made this issue go away for you guys?

EDIT 3: Currently the fixes that everybody does to attempt to fix the problem are a Fuel Control Actuator, a Fuel Pressure Relief Valve, (I found a Block off online, would that be better than just replaceing the FPRV?)

Left amusement park the other day, driving normally, grid heater light came on. Has stayed on, researched this forum and others, found it could be anywhere from Air Intake Temp Sensor, to injectors. Wrote down the codes everyone that was having the problems had, and took a trip to Oreilly's, here is the codes I have (They don't match any I've seen online, hence the post.)

P0483 - Cooling Fan Malfunction Rationality Check
P1222 - Acceleration Pedal Position Sensor 1
UO184 - Lost Communication With Radio
UO195 - Lost Communication With SDARS

Notes of things that has happened BEFORE Grid light came on.

Had a buddy following me, noticed I was blowing a little bit of white smoke.
Going down hills on the freeway, barely on the pedal, truck cuts in and out pretty roughly.
Revving up truck at idle, in neutral, revs up fine, revs down slower than molasses.
Truck would suddenly feel like it lagged power, then would come back, repeat. (Not suddenly, would just notice going up the same hills every day some days it would take it great, others not so great.)

-

Once the WTS light came on, I have the constant "lack of power" and the truck dings every time it starts.
The truck still starts up okay, not as fast as before, but not slow enough to cause me to worry about burning a starter. I am getting injector tests done tomorrow, but didn't have access to a scanner today, hence the trip to Oreillys.

I would hate to throw a new set of injectors at this thing just for the problem to not be fixed (Might throw 60hp injectors and a monitor at it anyway, but that's besides the point)

I was really expecting an injection return rate too high (I believe that's the code everyone else was getting), but I didn't get anything from the scanner. I wouldn't imagine a TPS would cause all of these problems, but I could be wrong. It is a Cummins.

Last edited:

Michael Lenzen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you found a fix for this yet I have a 06 with the 5.9 have the wts light coming on while driving at highway speeds beeps 10 times then shuts off truck still seems to run fine but acceleration is not there