Y pipe Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys. I bought the Magnaflow y pipe from Moes, think it’s 10778. It’s the 2 pipe 2 1/2” inch in and one 3” pipe out. Looks like the one I’ve seen guys use in similar situations. Looking under the truck and then looking at the pipe, I can’t envision where to cut it or how it’s going to fit. I did call a reputable exhaust shop near me and ask them about it, and they are willing to do the job, but never did one before so was no help. I have an appointment with the guy next week. I’m going to bring the pipe and would like to understand it myself so I can explain it to him so there are no issues. Anybody know or remember where and how the cut theirs to integrate this piece? And for anyone who did it, any difference in sound or performance? Thanks

OP
OP
Hookedup87

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since posting this I found a pic on the forum of that exact piece installed. I thought you cut it at the y and this piece would somehow fit in its place but the more I look at the picture it looks like it was cut a little further toward the front of the truck and then a pipe was added to each of the pipes coming from the engine, then into the y which in turn connects to the rest of the 3” exhaust that goes to the back. Is that more or less correct?

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You Going to require a 3” pipe to run from Front of muffler (first cut) and then to Y pipe 3” inlet. The two 2 1/2 tail
Pipe end of the Y pipe has to be measured with the tail
Pipes and cut the tail
Pipes from old muffler. This is where your Y pipe will clamp/weld up to the tail
Pipes. Now you grab your 3” pipe and measure from Y pipe to stock 3” pipe you cut. Now cut the 3” pipe. You
May require adaptors to get them to fit or a pipe flare tool. It’s easier to show then to try and explain.
Now that being said, what type of truck you have?

OP
OP
Hookedup87

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wait a minute. Are we talking about the same thing? I’m talking about the restrictive Y pipe that’s located under the front of vehicle where the exhaust manifold pipes come together and then run as one 3” pipe back to the muffler. You mention tail pipes so I’m confused.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the restriction of the ypipe other than the cats is mainly the driver side crossover pipe. you would need to cut the pipes after the cats and use mandrel bent pipe to go to that universal y you have.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you bought it from Moe's what did Matt say when you asked him about the installation?
Jay

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
Hey guys. I bought the Magnaflow y pipe from Moes, think it’s 10778.

Why?
If you've still got the stock manifolds, cats, or muffler, you've got more restrictive elements than a y pipe.

OP
OP
Hookedup87

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Didn’t ask Matt. Bought it off his site based on an old thread I found on the forum where they talked about using that particular part and part # to accomplish this.

And as far as why. There was a pic I saw on that same thread I think of the actual y pipe cut out and you could see that inside the pipe where the y comes together it looked like each bank was crushed down to an inch or so before opening back up to the 3” section that runs to the muffler.

I’m no expert by any means but a bottleneck like that can not be good for power or efficiency even on a stock engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnspd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I am thinking about replacing the Y pipe on my wife's 2018 RCSB but when I do I figure I will go ahead and replace the manifolds at the same time as we plan to supercharge it in the future. Thinking about going with long tube headers, new Y pipe and aftermarket high flow cat. I have already installed a Borla cat back system and man does it sound good.

electricyeti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Mike Junior the admin for the TunedRams Facebook page has done it. I think he did a Youtube video of it. I have one sitting here in the box from Moes myself, but bought headers and high cats instead. A decent exhaust shop should have no problems, they will probably have to add some pipe before it on both sides,

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have all the stuff to do this myself sitting in my garage. The extra pipe and the y pipe. I’ve been hesitant to weld it in because I just don’t feel like it. Eventually adding in long tubes so that’s a big reason why I haven’t done it.

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have all the stuff to do this myself sitting in my garage. The extra pipe and the y pipe. I’ve been hesitant to weld it in because I just don’t feel like it. Eventually adding in long tubes so that’s a big reason why I haven’t done it.

If you are doing long tubes just wait, not worth the time and effort to do just the Y

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you are doing long tubes just wait, not worth the time and effort to do just the Y
Yea. When I bought the stuff I wasn’t planning on doing the long tubes but changed my mind. That’s why I didn’t do it

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
No room to weld in place down there, the downpipes will need to be mocked up and tacked/persuaded back into the midpipe, then removed again to get full beads on. Assuming transfer case crossmember.

Is it worth the ~3 horsepower on an untuned truck? By that time you’re invested a good percentage into longtubes. These 2wd guys can probably make it a reasonable upgrade after shorty headers/cat deletes and a tune.

Last edited:

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
Didn’t ask Matt. Bought it off his site based on an old thread I found on the forum where they talked about using that particular part and part # to accomplish this.

And as far as why. There was a pic I saw on that same thread I think of the actual y pipe cut out and you could see that inside the pipe where the y comes together it looked like each bank was crushed down to an inch or so before opening back up to the 3” section that runs to the muffler.

I’m no expert by any means but a bottleneck like that can not be good for power or efficiency even on a stock engine.

Do you still have the stock exhaust manifolds?

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry, yeah my thought was you where going to switch out muffler for Y pipe. The “crossover” pipe is restrictive, yes. However the comment has been made already, manifolds are just as restrictive, if not more. Should do the Y pipe if going long tubes as it would make more sense to do if looking for more power. Plus saving time.

Canadian-Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Shorty (RCSB)
Engine
5.7 L
Hey guys. I bought the Magnaflow y pipe from Moes, think it’s 10778. It’s the 2 pipe 2 1/2” inch in and one 3” pipe out. Looks like the one I’ve seen guys use in similar situations. Looking under the truck and then looking at the pipe, I can’t envision where to cut it or how it’s going to fit. I did call a reputable exhaust shop near me and ask them about it, and they are willing to do the job, but never did one before so was no help. I have an appointment with the guy next week. I’m going to bring the pipe and would like to understand it myself so I can explain it to him so there are no issues. Anybody know or remember where and how the cut theirs to integrate this piece? And for anyone who did it, any difference in sound or performance? Thanks

I tried a muffler delete, sound just wasn't right and negilable HP gains. So I ended up cutting the factory y-pipe and splicing in two magna flow muffler's. No CEL, noticeable fuel mileage gain (If yah can stay of the skinny peddal), very noticeable HP gain and nothing beats the Sound of true duals".

Only thing missing is the factory cam doesn't have hardly any thump at idle, if only I could fix that without a cam change?

20200810_133503.jpg

20200810_133519.jpg

20200810_133503.jpg