You like to move up to 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Let me know how you like crawling around under the truck when your 60 years old...
I'm 65 and still very happy to be doing my own maint. I also do oil changes on the 8.3 Cummins in our diesel pusher, as well as rebuild motors in my dirt bikes (still very competitive woods racer), cutting trails, fishing, working out, currently doing a major remodel of our master bath, etc. I'm fighting old age, and winning so far.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
To each their own, but I know lots of fit, young guys who have zero interest in doing work on their cars. They figure they can make way more working those same hours than they pay for the work. I don't see anything wrong with that perspective either.
Yep, whatever works. I just prefer to do it myself. I retired when I was 52, so have the time also.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I used to build my own engines for my race cars. At 53 I don't even change my own oil anymore. No joy in it and not worth the $80-100 to do it myself anymore. I do still change my own brakes but that's it.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I used to build my own engines for my race cars. At 53 I don't even change my own oil anymore. No joy in it and not worth the $80-100 to do it myself anymore. I do still change my own brakes but that's it.
Again, whatever works. But I wonder if you might change your mind if your oil change cost you $500, as described here recently.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
At 53 I don't even change my own oil anymore.
I'm the opposite. When the oil change cost started pushing three times what I can do it myself for, I started, once again, doing it myself.

The last two times I had my RAM dealership change the oil on my (no longer owned) 2013 RAM HEMI, they didn't tighten the oil filters causing grief. I never trusted the dealer to do the scheduled maintenance on my Cummins. Now with a new ED in the driveway and story after story of RAM dealers putting in the wrong oil, that ED will never see a dealer for scheduled maintenance.

My situation is different which facilitates me doing the maintenance since I have to do it for my tractors and land maintenance equipment, adding in the vehicles is no big deal when you consider that I only need to service the car and trucks once a year. We don't drive that much in retirement.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l

Seriously, I change my oil AND filter - it take 20 minutes.

Oil goes directly into oil container, filter off, filter on, oil in. If it was low slung car I could see it being a hassle.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Seriously, I change my oil AND filter - it take 20 minutes.

Oil goes directly into oil container, filter off, filter on, oil in. If it was low slung car I could see it being a hassle.
yeah definitely easier with a truck but still not worth it to me. if it was $500 like mentioned above then yeah I'd probably do it myself again but i have no plans to buy a diesel so...

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I went from a 1500 to a 2500, only difference is the 6.4L and the 4.10 rear. I got it because we went with a bigger TT and it was overloading the payload of the 1500. If it was not for that I would not got a 2500.
Things I dont like:
Gas mileage went from 20MPG to 13MPG.
Solid axle in front, I know its need for weight but it affects the ride and steering as its a gearbox vs rack and pinion of the 1500
The 2500 sits higher, so there are more blind spots
The 6.4L just doesn't seem as powerful as my 5.7L.
You think the GY 20" tires sucks, the stock firestones are even worse.

OnTheTrails

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9L
I love my 2005 Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins to death (manual). Never has needed much maintenance. Never been in the shop since I owned it, although I may need to do some work that is out of my league sooner than later. Never had major issues. Long as I don't drive too aggressive, gets 20-26+ mpg. Even with my Truck Camper on the back, still gets 15-22 mpg. It's a spacious and safe family car, tows a hefty load, carries a lot in the bed, and is easy to do basic maintenance. It rides just fine, as I am not picky, and there's nothing to complain about.

Yes, my 4Runner ride better, but considering what this 3rd Generation Ram 2500 is capable of, it's a good trade-off for a vehicle that still gets well over 20+ mpg for much of my driving.

Where I live in Western Montana, diesel is still about $1.50 more than gasoline though.

If people got over the need for fancy new vehicles with Bluetooth and all the bells and whistles, they could buy a solid older truck for a fairly good price still. I bought mine used and it had 106k clocked at the time. I understand all the arguments for new vehicles, and I understand why people like some of the newer more heavy duty Rams. When you break it down, many of the newer 1500s and 2500s are having more problems than some of the older Rams. So many factors, like driving terrain and style, luck of the draw, and so on.

Longfisher281

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I've owned a Ram 2500 crew cab & long bed (gasoline) since 2014 without a single problem whatsoever. Frankly, it's the best truck or even the best vehicle I've ever owned, and, I've owned plenty of both in my now 71 years.

naclty1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I’ve got a 2021 Tradesman 2500 with the 6.4 hemi, 8 speed auto, 6.5 ft bed, Crew cab. Purchase it in June 2021 with the options ordered by the dealership. It came with everything I needed to tow a 6850 lb 28 ft TT. Mileage towing ranges anywhere between 8.5-11 mpg primarily depending on how much of a breeze I’m pushing thru. Truck doesn’t even realize the trailer is back there. Need to pass a semi, go up a hill, get a lovely cross wind, it doesn’t complain and the trailer doesn’t move. Previous truck was a 08 Titan Pro4X. It towed the trailer but was long in tooth, almost 200k when we bought the TT, just as Covid kicked in. Trailer sway, having to watch the trans temp, etc made the decision to upgrade. I can’t compare to another RAM but I can say I love my 2500 and have no issues with it to date. Even the wife loves it, extra bonus!

chucko

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Right now , I have a 2015 EcoDiesel 1500 truck . Long story short , always in the shop . Thinking about moving up to the Ram 2500 . Like to know about the pros and cons . How reliable are the trucks . Looking at the 2021s Ram 2500 . Thanks .
I have a 2020 Ram 2500 tradesman with 30K on it. has never had an issue, starts and runs great each and every day. I tow a bobcat and some vehicle trialers with vehicles and never missed a beat with my truck. Also added upfitter switches and remote start. Had a 2015 Ram 1500 laramie which also had no issues and ran great, when I traded in 2020 for the new truck it had 70K miles on it.

Ghornet54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cumins
I did the same thing you're thinking. I traded in my 1500 eco diesel (with 100,000 miles and no issues) for a 2500 diesel and will never look back! The 1500 pulled my camper without any problems until we went to Colorado and the temps were higher than I liked. I traded for the 2500 diesel because when I'm pulling my camper, it is very hard finding a gas station that will fit the truck and camper for fill ups. With the diesel I can just go thru the truck lanes without issue.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
The small 1/2 ton diesels seem to have lots of issues. It is a new format.
A 5th gen Cummins in a 2500 is just the opposite. It has been around for a long time and they are very dependable. Do yourself a favor and step up to a 3/4 ton truck. Join the winning team.

ercfire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2014 ram 1505.7 hemi with airbags looking to upgrade to a 2500 debating if gas or diesel is the best I do to a boat but mostly I’m going to put a slide in camper for a couple to your hiatus. Any input on which one would be best

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I have a 2014 ram 1505.7 hemi with airbags looking to upgrade to a 2500 debating if gas or diesel is the best I do to a boat but mostly I’m going to put a slide in camper for a couple to your hiatus. Any input on which one would be best
A slide in camper in a 2500 is one of the reasons a 2500 is rated lower than the sum of the GAWR.

The position of the coils allow for some inability to control the slide in camper as compared to a 3500.

Gas is going to have more available payload. The diesel will have more power.

Good luck.

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here's my thoughts on the Gas verses diesel, if you are in business that requires heavy hauling and long cross country driving pulling a gooseneck heavy duty trailer loaded down for your job to make a living then yes I would go with the diesel ! For those of us that pull a fifth wheel or bumper pull travel trailer a few hundred or a few thousand miles a year a 5.7 1500 or a 6.4 2500 is the ticket, just so you know I've owned two Ram 2500 Cummins and back when I owned them they actually were less expensive overall than gas when diesel was cheaper than gas and no DEF plus they actually got better mileage than gas back then. Now days like I stated before you don't need a diesel unless its a 100 percent work truck. The 10-k you pay up front just for the engine can be used to purchase a very nice optioned 2500 with tons of bells and whistles or if you don't want the bells and whistles take the 10-k savings and buy 10 thousand dollars of Gas. That's what I would do , I now have a 2019 fifth gen Ram 1500 Laramie crew cab 5.7 4x4 off road with sport package 392 gears with elocker and I love the Truck. I pull a 34 ft Rockwood TT with two slides that loaded weights a little over 8-k. I have a Hensley Arrow Wt distribution anti sway hitch and the truck has no issues with the trailer. Good luck on your decision

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thank you for all the replies . With the EcoDiesel , I tow my TT , weighs about 7k load it down . The truck seems to struggle a bit . Afraid to venture out of Florida with the travel trailer . At 74k lost the first EcoDiesel engine . Complete engine failure . Yes as stated , I love the ride of the 1500 Ram . Would like to go for reliability . Seems from the feedback , stepping up to the 2500 diesel or gas
would be an option . Thanks for infor .
I tow a 7600#loaded travel trailer with my 2500 6.4 and 4.10. My previous truck was a GMC Sierra 1500 with 6.2L. The 6.2 was a great engine but when I did the math, the 1650# payload of the Sierra would have been marginal at best given the trailer plus the other stuff I carry with me. The Ram 2500 ride quality is when not loaded is definitely no where close to as good as my GMC. Ride quality is noticeably better when loaded than when unloaded and about 75% to 80% of the usage my truck will get will be towing trailers and it doesn't have to be my daily driver so that works for me.

On Diesel Vs Gas, I would not buy a Ram 2500 Diesel. The payload capacity of the 2500 diesels is total crap compared to the Chevy's and GMC's. But you don't need a diesel for a 7K trailer. Also, for most travel traliers, even the diesels mostly have enough payload. But beware there are configurations of Ram 2500 Diesel That have no more payload than a 1500. Limited Longhorn, Mega Cab 4wd Diesel for example is 1640 (less than my GMC 1500) according to Ram's web site. But if you think you might need the diesel for some future fifth wheel and still want a Ram, just get the 3500 to begin with.

sra2ssgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I went from a 2011 1500 5.7L to a 2020 2500 6.4L. Other than the ride quality, which is to be expected from a HD, I have no complaints. Towing our 6,300 lb travel trailer is much easier now.

Status
Not open for further replies.