20" Wheels & Towing a Horse Trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigpappy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My wife goes to competitive trail ride events just about every weekend. We bought a '10 Ram 1500 on Friday and she towed a horse trailer for 400 miles Saturday & Sunday. She thinks with the 275/60/20 tires might not be good for towing on gravel roads and even some off-road farm trails. I really think she went from a 12 yr old 4X4 and needs to get use to smooth towing.

Should we look into selling the wheels and/or tires for something all-terrain or is she just new to a nice truck?

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The truck is very capable for towing but comes with awful tires from the factory. If it still has the Goodyear Wrangler HP's it should be a noticeable upgrade to change them out to almost anything else.
I notice sway in our truck even when empty, on windy days. It gets amplified when towing our travel trailer.

Welcome aboard!

OP
OP
B

bigpappy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The tires on the truck now were bought about 4 months ago by the previous owner and their Cooper Discoverers that look very similar to the stock Goodyear tires.

I don't have a problem with the way the truck rides, but my wife isn't used to the fact that trucks have become civilized since her 12 year old Expedition was built. Heck, the price of gas was 1.59/gallon back then, too. 7 mpg was a whole different concept back then.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My FIL just put a set of those on his Sierra Denali; I like the looks of them, and they have a load rating of 117 so that would help.
Hope she learns to love the truck!

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Double horse bumper pull or something bigger? We tow a Gore double horse with tack room behind the wifes 05 with the 20" rims with a set of off road tires and it does just fine. The HP's and sim treads will slip easier but just slip it into 4x4 and let it go.