Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 4th Gen : 2009 - Present > Towing & Hauling

Towing & Hauling

I would like your advice on 5th Wheel guys

This is a discussion on I would like your advice on 5th Wheel guys within the Towing & Hauling forums, part of the 4th Gen : 2009 - Present category!
My wife and I were about to pull the trigger on a brand new Coachmen TT a couple of years ...

Like Tree85Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2017, 09:24 AM   #71 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2015
Engine: Hemi 5.7
My wife and I were about to pull the trigger on a brand new Coachmen TT a couple of years back but we took a step back and decided to see what was out there for a similar used unit. We lucked out and found a very similar unit on Craigslist that was 4 years old, a little bigger and a few more options. We were lucky, the people selling it were good people we came to trust and they let us do a very detailed pre-sale inspection. All I found was that the date code on tires showed they were almost 6 years old so he knocked $500 off the price. In the end we got a bigger TT with more options for about 8K less than new would have cost.

No doubt we were lucky but I don't think I'd ever buy new unless we just couldn't find what we wanted within a few hundred miles.

On the other hand, if everyone thought that way there would be no used units on the market
Bigdaddy likes this.

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.

Old 01-10-2017, 05:15 PM   #72 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: Hemi 6.4
Originally Posted by GsRAM View Post

Do you find based on your experience that when all is said and done your around 30% under msrp? That's the figure i keep hearing when you buy new
Thanks
Yeah - 70% of msrp is a pretty good number to go for. You can do better with a super hungry dealer at a slow time of year or worse with a new/popular model heading into a busy time for your area.

Also, the region has a HUGE impact. With most trailers being manufactured in the midwest and shipping/transport being roughly $2/mile you can just watch the prices go up as you move away from Indiana. I'm out here on the west coast and things are expensive comparatively.

My basic methodology when shopping is to do a search on RV trader or RVT and sort by "best price first". Then decide how far I'm willing to drive or use for comparison when shopping locally.
Bigdaddy and DeereGuy like this.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:12 PM   #73 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine: Hemi, 6.4L
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
Yeah - 70% of msrp is a pretty good number to go for. You can do better with a super hungry dealer at a slow time of year or worse with a new/popular model heading into a busy time for your area.

Also, the region has a HUGE impact. With most trailers being manufactured in the midwest and shipping/transport being roughly $2/mile you can just watch the prices go up as you move away from Indiana. I'm out here on the west coast and things are expensive comparatively.

My basic methodology when shopping is to do a search on RV trader or RVT and sort by "best price first". Then decide how far I'm willing to drive or use for comparison when shopping locally.
Ok, thanks. Good info and help, i appreciate that.
GsRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:32 PM   #74 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2014 Ram 2500 SLT 4x4
Engine: hemi 6.4/ 4.56 gears/ AirLift 5000
Default Food for thought
Well, food for though. Having the 6.4 (gas), one thing that has been a bit of a headache is when fueling and having a longer trailer. Many of the stations don't have the off side or separate fuel islands for those of us that burn gas. If you are diesel fueled, most have the more accessible islands. Can't tell you how many stations that I have had to pass because of not being accessible when you are 60+ ft in length not to mention being over 13' in height.. There have been instances where I have had to drop in a lot and then drive to the station. Just a thought. Ps. I do carry 4, 5 gallon cans of fuel in the bed and have , twice in the lower US, had to use them for this very reason.
Bigdaddy likes this.
KarL45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:45 AM   #75 (permalink)

Originally Posted by KarL45 View Post
Well, food for though. Having the 6.4 (gas), one thing that has been a bit of a headache is when fueling and having a longer trailer. Many of the stations don't have the off side or separate fuel islands for those of us that burn gas. If you are diesel fueled, most have the more accessible islands. Can't tell you how many stations that I have had to pass because of not being accessible when you are 60+ ft in length not to mention being over 13' in height.. There have been instances where I have had to drop in a lot and then drive to the station. Just a thought. Ps. I do carry 4, 5 gallon cans of fuel in the bed and have , twice in the lower US, had to use them for this very reason.
Good point Karl. Thankfully my family just does trips within a 2 hr radius from home, so i top off hard before we leave and then i can make the round trip without fueling.

I'm finding the 6.4 is a thirsty beast though, so that may change. Lol. But i could at least make it to the CG and then fuel.

But if we ever take the TT to Disney, that will be an issue
Bigdaddy likes this.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:28 PM   #76 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: Hemi 6.4
Come to think of it I've never gassed up with my 5th wheel attached. I guess I've never gone far enough without stopping/camping/unhooking that I needed to.

I had a bit of an "incident" with my first 5th wheel. About 24 hours after purchasing it I pulled off a busy highway into a station. Right away I noticed the awning was far too low but I was committed so I had to at least pull into the parking lot. The attendant went absolutely CRAZY running and waving his arms, thinking I was going to keep driving into the overhang.

No way to go around the gas island roof and it really sucked backing onto the highway.... let me tell you. I gave the gas guy $10 to go stop traffic.... people honking, the whole bit. Worst part was I was still about out of fuel
Bigdaddy likes this.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:03 PM   #77 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2017 3500 SRW
Engine: 6.4 hemi
Not sure in other areas, but in upstate NY, all truck stops have a gas and diesel in the truck lanes. Now I realise some destinations are a long way from truck stops. Just tossing out a option some might not have thought of.
Bigdaddy likes this.
mowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:45 PM   #78 (permalink)

Originally Posted by mowin View Post
Not sure in other areas, but in upstate NY, all truck stops have a gas and diesel in the truck lanes. Now I realise some destinations are a long way from truck stops. Just tossing out a option some might not have thought of.
Thanks mowin. On I95 there are some flying J truck stops i know i could get into and out of pretty easily and my favorite place to stop on 95 in NC, Kinley 95 (large light house)
Bigdaddy likes this.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:35 AM   #79 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2016
Engine: 6.4L Hemi
I found a few use down in Portland, OR that I might check out but they have a lot of snow now so it's not going to happen no time soon. They also suppose to have a RV's show here this week end, it be worth going.
Bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:13 AM   #80 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
I found a few use down in Portland, OR that I might check out but they have a lot of snow now so it's not going to happen no time soon. They also suppose to have a RV's show here this week end, it be worth going.
Rv shows are always fun to go to even if your not in the market just to look at the new rigs. I always enjoy it
Bigdaddy likes this.