Towing and step bar help needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 I6 Diesel
I just bought 2015 RAM 2500, Mega Cab, Diesel, 4X4, for towing my travel trailer and I am new to discussion group and Dodge.
I have a couple of questions regarding new truck i need help with,

1. Currently I tow trailer with Suburban, with weight distribution and anti sway hitch, with RAM, class V receiver and I would have to have to lower ball about 10" for level trailer while towing, With RAM do i still need weight distribution and anti sway hitch or could I just utilize a drop down hitch with a ball.
Maximun trailer weight is 12,000 lbs, fully loaded.
Tongue weight is 875 lbs.

2. My truck height is about 19" from ground level to bottom of cab and 27" from ground to inside floor board, can anyone recommend a set of step bars with extended mounts that would put top of step bar about 14" off ground. Most bars I have seen puts top of step about 2 - 3" below bottom of cab, which would be about a 17" first step, wife is only 5'2" which makes climbing up difficult.

Any help or recommendations much appreciated.

Dave

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You need the same hitch setup to tow that trailer with the Ram.

For the step bars, check out NFab. I had a set on my '07 MegaCab and will be putting some on my '14 CC.

Here's what they look like:

030713%20Ram_zpshm149edc.jpg

SB13_zpsd245e71e.jpg

I like the 3-step units as I can step up along side the bed and get to the truck box.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Depending on what you want to spend the nfab seem to be a popular choice but if your willing to spend a little more the amp power steps are nice and adjustable if I'm not mistaken.

As for towing I would keep the WD and anti sway setup and actually transfer some weight to the front to the trailer to balance it out. Bumper pull's should have 10% on the hitch to help with sway and load Blance your not to for off with 7% just my thoughts.

OP
OP
D

Dave L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 I6 Diesel
Thanks for your help and suggestions, going to AV Truck shop now to get what I need to keep WD hitch,

Thanks again