Old member ,,new question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gesjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hello..been awhile since i have been on the site as life gets in the way, This forum has always been a great asset at answering any and all questions i might have . Lots of knowledge to be obtained from the members on here. Sooo here goes....08 ram sport 1500 4x4 with factory tow package 3.92 gears with lsd. The rearend started to whine about a wk ago. Took it to my mechanic who took a look inside and here is what he is telling me. I apparently have some type of broken clip that became entwined in my gears causing a major problem. He gave me about a month or so before this thing leaves me stranded beside the road . I know very little about the working of my differential so i need some help. My options are a complete used rearend with 40k miles for $1250 plus install. My truck now has 71k miles .New rearend from dealer for $2600 plus install . Here is where i need advice...i have done some reading about people going to a 4.56 gear. Everyone who has done this has nothing but positive things to say. When i brought this up to my mechanic he said that it would be a lot of money to do this. That i pretty much needed an open checkbook to switch gears, I know the basics,,i need both front and rear gears but after that im not sure what else i need that he is referring to. He is talking about clutch packs and things im not sure of as i know a little about my hemi but must admit my ignorance when it comes to the rearend in my truck. Having looked into gears i see they also sell an install kit. Can someone who has knowledge on this topic please weigh in and tell me exactly what i would need from start to finish to swap out my 3.92 for a 4.56 ? Also does anyone have a preference of gear brands or the best place to look for prices? Thanks for any and all replies from an old member who needs to find his way back on here more often.

Last edited:

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Gears and installation shouldn't be more than $1,100. That's for both axles. You do not want to go to a regular mechanic, or you will have to write a big check. Find a local 4x4 off-roading shop that does custom builds, or a race shop. They do gear work usually for $250 or less per axle. Find one that will let you bring your own gears and supplies. Then order 4.56 gears front and rear and a master install kit for each axle.

You don't need a new axle.

rjkfsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Gears and installation shouldn't be more than $1,100. That's for both axles. You do not want to go to a regular mechanic, or you will have to write a big check. Find a local 4x4 off-roading shop that does custom builds, or a race shop. They do gear work usually for $250 or less per axle. Find one that will let you bring your own gears and supplies. Then order 4.56 gears front and rear and a master install kit for each axle.

You don't need a new axle.

Well, he MIGHT need a new rear axle since there could be metal bits floating around in there doing damage. A 4x4 shop, like you recommended, should be able to advise.

At the least, I would get a 2nd opinion on the axle.

RK

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, he MIGHT need a new rear axle since there could be metal bits floating around in there doing damage. A 4x4 shop, like you recommended, should be able to advise.

At the least, I would get a 2nd opinion on the axle.

RK

At most, he might need a new carrier (but doubt it). The master install kit comes with all bearings that could have been damaged by metal.

Axle housing are usually not damaged by internals. I have seen so bad exploded ring and opinions when wheeling.

OP
OP
G

gesjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I dont believe the housing or anything was damaged. My mechanic said he could rebuild the interals that were damaged but couldnt guarantee that it would eliminate the noise which would drive me nuts. Again i apologize for my lack of differential workings. He seemed to know what he was going to find even before he opened it up as he was telling me dodge has a reputation of blowing up rearends and he has rebuilt or replaced several. What he told me he expected to find was exactly what he did find. I just know nothing about clutch packs and what clips he is referring to. He did say they had broken and worked there way into the gears and had caused chipping etc....it was the dollar amount he thought it would take to do a gear swap that had me puzzled. I trust him and know he is honestly at least in his opinion looking out for my best interest when he tells me im better of and it will be less expense to just swap the whole unit. That doesnt mean he knows everything there is to know and its why i turn to this forum for advice that i can take back to him or whoever. The 4x4 and speedshops here in Maine are few and far between. I have seen one thats about a 2 hr ride away and i guess i should call and ask their opinion. So all i should need barring any unforseen damage is front and rear gears and master install kit ?? Any opinions on brands of gears ??

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh.... Do you have a clutch driven positrac? (Limited slip differential). If you want to regear, you will either need a rebuild kit for the limited slip, or just buy an aftermarket carrier (either open or GEAR driven limited slip) in addition to the master install kit and gears. If you change the carrier, you are looking for an additional $200-600 to the $1,100 I said. Open differentials are on the $200 side. You only need this for the rear. Blown clutches in a axle can make sounds.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Talk to Matt at Moe's and he will both answer your questions and can make suggestions on what you need.
Basically you will want a new differential as the OEM is known to occasionally have broken clips. I choose a DDT and have run it for several years without issue.
Next two gear sets, front and rear. Your choice.
Two master install kits.
Axle bearings and seals as they are not included in the install kit.
And fluids.
And most important a competent axle mechanic that has experience in setting up and installing gears on a 9-1/4 dodge rearend.
The question I asked when looking for a shop was "when did you do your last gear install?" When I got the answer "yesterday", I had found my shop.
Good luck,

OP
OP
G

gesjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So,, a quick update. I have been in touch with moes and they have quoted me around $1300 for a detroit locker,front and rear gears and two master install kits. Pretty much everything i would need to get this done minus maybe a few misc parts that may be needed once someone tears into my rearend. I had to call 4 different places before i found someone willing to do the job.The first 4x4 shop i called out sources their gear work and put me in touch with their guy. For some reason because of the yr of my truck he wouldnt even begin to think about touching it??? I then spoke to new england transmission who is going to get back to me on a price but they wont do the work unless i buy all parts thru them so im expecting an inflated price. Third place i talked to made it sound like i was crazy for even thinking about going to a lower gear and spent more time trying to talk me out of it than they did anything else. Finally found a place that would let me supply the parts and do the job. He said moes prices sounded realistic but was gonna check with his distributor to see if he could beat that price. I did tell him it would have to be a substantial savings as i have purchased several things from moes and prefer to give my money to them. He told me i was looking at about 8 hrs labor. Can someone chime in and tell me if 8 hrs sounds about rite for a gear install??

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Many shops are not trained or equip to do gear changes on our dodges and don't want to admit they can't so try to make the customer feel like they don't know what they want or what's good for them. Typical BS. I just tell them if you can't do the labor then I'll find another shop. No big deal... I have a metal fabrication/repair shop I often hang out in and do my own work with assistance from one of the mechanics when I need help. IMO 8 hours charged by the shop is good. They can probably knock it out in around 6 hours but with the front being more difficult I would accept the charge. You'll need axle seals and bearings depending on mileage. They don't come with the master install kit. Good luck and enjoy the new gears..

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
8 hours sounds about right. And $1300 for parts from moe's sounds good too. Detriot's alone are $500+. Sounds like things are working out. And like above, mechanics who do not know about the reason people do custom work seem to make people feel like they don't know what they are talking about. But going to lower gears and putting in lockers is nothing new to both the racing and off road world.

You might also want to consider calling racing shops. Places that build custom race cars also know how to do gear work. I had my jeep done the first time at a speed shop in NJ. The first thing he said was "You supply the parts, I can't beat online pricing", I said, perfect.